Snowmobiling in Canada

mefroe

Thinking about going to Canada to ride next year going last of Feb or first part of March. Have been told that just north of Sault Ste Marie area is a good choice. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions. Thanks

jr37

We did the Dryden/Souix Lookout area a few years ago. Very beautiful, remote annd cooooooolllllllllddddddddd! I've heard that the Snow Train is cool.

polarisrider1

I have always wanted to to the snow train you load up in to box cars in sault ste marie and take the train in to canada about 3 days ride back www.snowcombo.com/

snow train is different again from the snow loops, yet you can incorporate the train into a loop. Did that once. I prefer to start from The Soo or Drumond Island as a starting point. The main thing with doing the loops in this economy is making sure you have reservations in advance and making sure there is gas were you need it. I always had a "Tour Buddy" backup gas on board. The old 01 800XCSP got some pretty poor mileage. It is about 90 to 110 mile between locations up there. I could do the 90 but not the 110 with out the extra gas. Plan before you leave. Walking at night in the Canadian wilderness 20 plus miles in full sled gear without a flash light is scary and takes awhile (done it). Nobody will be coming by soon up there to save you from yourself. Planning is key.

milkmaker

Polarisrider

I have been to Canada many times snowmobling and have had a great time--Blueberry Hill many years ago just N of the Soo-Elliott Lake,Wawa, Manitouwadge,Goganda,Terrace Bay to name some. Never pass a gas station and never go alone. This has always been a male trip with about 8-15 guys. A trail permit is now $140.00 for a week. Last year there was not any snow at Terrace Bay, but we are hoping there will be plenty this year as 8 of us are planning on going there and snowmobling to Geraldton,Nakina,Longlac,Marathon, etc.around the first of February.

polarisrider1

I have been to Canada many times snowmobling and have had a great time--Blueberry Hill many years ago just N of the Soo-Elliott Lake,Wawa, Manitouwadge,Goganda,Terrace Bay to name some. Never pass a gas station and never go alone. This has always been a male trip with about 8-15 guys. A trail permit is now $140.00 for a week. Last year there was not any snow at Terrace Bay, but we are hoping there will be plenty this year as 8 of us are planning on going there and snowmobling to Geraldton,Nakina,Longlac,Marathon, etc.around the first of February.

Nakina is about the end of the road north. If you plan on going to Canada more than 1 time a season I recommend doing a season permit. If you make it to Manitouwadge go a little farther to Hillsport. The trail between Manitowadge and Marathon has some off trail opertunities (power lines) that run right beside the trail.

snowlover

I went up to Canada a few years ago in mid January and it was fantastic! We were up by Beardmore, Geraldton, Longlac and Nakina. The trails were smooth and wide with NO traffic, none. The locals were the best up there and bent over backwards for us. We rode one afternoon only 90 miles and this was from one town to the next. The locals kept track of us and we had to tell them where we were going so we could check in, etc. Most days were about 200 miles but we did not start too early due to the cold and the late nights partying. Did I say it was cold? Like said before get gas at every gas station there is. Oh, the off trail riding is unbelievable. Just know before you go.

Word of advice...make sure nobody has a prior DWI or any other felonies or you will either be turned away or pay a temporary citizen fee if they are having a good day!

polarisrider1

The DWI guys sometimes can get in on a 6 month work visa for $200. after the 6 months they have to go to the Chancelors office in Detroit and pay a couple grand to ever go back. Amazing how money can decide if you enter or not. Never think that flirting with the cute Immagration lady will help. It does not improve or help matters. We left that guy at customs for his wife to come pickup.

rocketman356

We did the snow train a few years back out of the Soo.And its cool driving ur sled onto to box car.Made a big loop back.But like every1 says don't pass up gas and bring plenty of extra gear.

milkmaker

snowmobling in Canada

I have rode the train several times but NOT at the time of snowmobling. I did not want to use up time riding the train when I could be on a sled.

indianawarrior

Exactly. Snowtrain is cool, but you goto Canada to ride the trails, not the train. Experience the great trail system of Ontario. Ride them b y sled. Our group usually rides 9 days. we saddlebag from town to town, the entire trip. We average anywhere from 200 to 300 miles a day, depending on where we start from and where we want to goto. If you have ever thought about going, do it. Do it aat least once. It will be an experience you will never forget. The top trail into Hearst and Cochrane is better than any highway you have ever traveled on by car. Flat, straight, and long. Some pretty unbelievable trail riding.

Hoosier

The top trail into Hearst and Cochrane is better than any highway you have ever traveled on by car. Flat, straight, and long. Some pretty unbelievable trail riding.

I've ridden in Quebec but not Ontario. The above is my impression of Ontario...is it a lot of straight-aways? Seems like it would get old after awhile...

oldguy

We did the west loop a few years back. Started in Nipigon went to Geraldton, Longlac then back to Nipigon. Riding along the North Shore of Lake Superior is some of the most beautiful scenery you’ll find anywhere. Do that stretch during day light hours.

It was only about 450 miles. We managed to get lost several times. We had 2 women along that had no problems with handling the cold and the terrain. The best time to go on that loop was late February early March when they get south wind lake effect snows. We saw maybe 8 other sleds the entire trip. It was well worth the $140.00 7 day trail permit.

polarisrider1

I don't mind the permit price. If you go off into the "bush" or do a loop up there you need to have a tip top shape sled and very good gear. Walking in "Mickey Mouse boots and carharts for miles just don't cut it. My Favorite loop is:Day 1 start at the Soo, ride up to Wawa with lunch at Halfway Haven. Day 2 ride to Duberville for lunch on your way to Hornpayne. Day 3 Hornpayne west to Hillsport. (party big time that night). Day 4 (is a long day) Hillsport thru Manitowadge to Marithon for lunch (great off trail riding) then on to White river for the night. Day 5 white river to Wawa stopping at the Northern Lights motel to say "Hi" to Mo and John. ride the Magpie resevoir and do the Badlands then end up at Hawk Junction for dinner (get the Teddy burger). ride back to Wawa for the night. Day 6 Stop at the Wawa Poo dealer to say "hi" then ride south back to Haveway and then to the Soo. Day7 load up and head home.

polarisrider1

Polarisrider - what kind of miles are you talking about what that loop?

Varies from day to day. around 185 to 240. I always watch gas. if we get in early then we fuel up and run back out of town to anything "Cool" we missed. Day 5 can be as short as 185 miles but we did 265 that day because of the side trips to run the Magpie and off trail in the Badlands then over to Hawk Junction to eat, etc. Most the loops you don't have that option, it is mostly point A to point B. until you have done it a bunch and learned the areas. You can keep busy in the Wawa area for a week if you never been there. There are abandon Gold and Diamond mines there to see Wawa lake to blast on, Go visit "Ernie" over to Misinabe running 90% lakes to get there.. Every thing there is owned by Ernie. Check out the wood beams and posts that hold his Bar/restaurant up. cool place. He even owns the fire dept. (one water tanker no pumper). Go on a lumber mill tour in Duberville, no 50 cent tour but a 3 hr. tour. One thing I will not give up is my Off trail riding locations. I got 10+ yrs. of scoping that out.

indianawarrior

I've ridden in Quebec but not Ontario. The above is my impression of Ontario...is it a lot of straight-aways? Seems like it would get old after awhile...

Sorry. I was not trying to give you the wrong impression. It is ALL not like that. Just some nice stretches that allow you to open things up a little. :)