SnowTech Editorial Scary Snowmobiling Future

rph130

I am in engineer and I own several rental properties. Have no debt and am somewhat good with my money. When I say i am going to retire I really mean that I am going to stop working for someone else. I would walk away today but I want to get a business up and moving first. I haven't totally figured out the health insurance part but I could get it through my wifes employeer if all else fails.

For the record I don't have the cajones to be a cop, I am glad some people do and they deserve every bit of that early retirement.
Moose and blkhwkbob. I just want to provide a little clarification. I was a cop. Went on at 21 and retired at 51. Pension was maxxed at 75 percent of my salary after 30 years so in my opinion, it did not make fiscal sense to stay any longer. It really was not an early retirement. Also, in law enforcement, at 50 plus years of age the risk of injury is more likely and to be honest, I started to feel like an old man compared to the 20 somethings coming on. My son and I served together for about a year before I left and I realized the time to leave was before something bad happened. Again, being honest, I was tired of it. Upon my retirement the Chief asked me to stay a little longer. My reply was that the smartest man in the building is the one who knows when its time to retire. I dont think he understood because he is still on the job in his 70s. Thats insanity. Dont get me wrong. It was a great career and the pay and benefits were good and now I have a great pension but I, glad its over. Making more now retired after 7 years than I made when I had to go to work everyday.

pclark

It's actually $30.00 for non club members...$10.00 for a current club member...When you consider that the average club membership is $25.00 per year, and then add the Permit cost of $10.00, it actually is costing you more...($35.00)
$30.00 for Wisconsin Resident
$50.00 for Non-Resident

jshabadu

It's actually $30.00 for non club members...$10.00 for a current club member...When you consider that the average club membership is $25.00 per year, and then add the Permit cost of $10.00, it actually is costing you more...($35.00)

I'm not a Wisconsin Resident, but this is where I do most of my riding. My sleds are registered in Wisconsin. I am a local club member and pay $25 Family membership dues annually. Since I have four sleds, I pay $65 annually for membership/permits for these sleds, if I were not a member I would have to pay $200 to get trail permits (non-resident).... it makes no sense not to join a club. Wisconsin Registration is also cheaper than Minnesota.

Last edited:

SHOOT2KILL

$30.00 for Wisconsin Resident
$50.00 for Non-Resident
The numbers I posted are for a Wi resident like myself registering 1 sled annually...Just for clarity...I have been an AWSC member since 1971...The club membership fees are just a drop in the bucket from what I donate by purchasing raffle tickets and stuffing the trail kitty jars @ bars...

heckler56

Moose and blkhwkbob. I just want to provide a little clarification. I was a cop. Went on at 21 and retired at 51. Pension was maxxed at 75 percent of my salary after 30 years so in my opinion, it did not make fiscal sense to stay any longer. It really was not an early retirement. Also, in law enforcement, at 50 plus years of age the risk of injury is more likely and to be honest, I started to feel like an old man compared to the 20 somethings coming on. My son and I served together for about a year before I left and I realized the time to leave was before something bad happened. Again, being honest, I was tired of it. Upon my retirement the Chief asked me to stay a little longer. My reply was that the smartest man in the building is the one who knows when its time to retire. I dont think he understood because he is still on the job in his 70s. Thats insanity. Dont get me wrong. It was a great career and the pay and benefits were good and now I have a great pension but I, glad its over. Making more now retired after 7 years than I made when I had to go to work everyday.
Thank you for your service. I have thee most respect for those currently serving their communities. During jury selection once the judge threatened me with contempt because I honestly answered “I would trust the officer’s word over the defendant”.

mrbb

Thank you for your service. I have thee most respect for those currently serving their communities. During jury selection once the judge threatened me with contempt because I honestly answered “I would trust the officer’s word over the defendant”.
I was once excused from jury duty for saying something similar, HAHA!
and yes, , my hat's off to all that work in law enforcement, there well under appreciated and many are paid poorly for what they do
local officers here get under 35k a yr and have high crime they deal with daily anymore!
and not to mention there risks of law suits and ruining there life over a split second decision they have to make !

all the more so in today's video everything world, and where many times your only just seeing HALF the story , yet it can ruin your life and lively hood!
SO< I'm glad we still have so many willing to take these jobs on !

matti

I was once excused from jury duty for saying something similar, HAHA!
and yes, , my hat's off to all that work in law enforcement, there well under appreciated and many are paid poorly for what they do
local officers here get under 35k a yr and have high crime they deal with daily anymore!
and not to mention there risks of law suits and ruining there life over a split second decision they have to make !

all the more so in today's video everything world, and where many times your only just seeing HALF the story , yet it can ruin your life and lively hood!
SO< I'm glad we still have so many willing to take these jobs on !
I agree 100%! My cousin became a police officer a few years ago and I do sometimes worry that he'll find himself in one of those crazy moments where a split-second decision he has to make might ruin his life.

renegade

I am a club member myself and honestly see little benefit from it but I always do it because I ride the same area. I see a bigger benefit of supporting the businesses that do a lot for the clubs in my area. If things are thriving for them they will continue to do the heavy lifting as they are full time resident there.

The argument for this non club members I see if they already pay for registration and trail pass why do they need to fork over another $25 for club membership. This is a problem especially in Wisconsin where residents need a trail pass as well on top of registration.
That $25 should be the first money spent as a snowmobiler. You actually become members of two clubs, your local and the AWSC, (in Wisconsin if your club is set up that way) This helps with numbers in the state association when it comes to politics and making laws. They have more weight to through around. I don't know where you ride but I'm not aware of any place in Wisconsin where the businesses do the heavy lifting. There is definitely cooperation between businesses and clubs but its the clubs that are doing all the dirty work for sure. Too many people do not understand what clubs actually do is the biggest problem in the sport today, no doubt. There is talk in the AWSC that before you are able to purchase a trail permit you need to watch a video. This is one of the messages that could be explained is that clubs mark and maintain a vast majority of trails.

Highflyer

That $25 should be the first money spent as a snowmobiler. You actually become members of two clubs, your local and the AWSC, (in Wisconsin if your club is set up that way) This helps with numbers in the state association when it comes to politics and making laws. They have more weight to through around. I don't know where you ride but I'm not aware of any place in Wisconsin where the businesses do the heavy lifting. There is definitely cooperation between businesses and clubs but its the clubs that are doing all the dirty work for sure. Too many people do not understand what clubs actually do is the biggest problem in the sport today, no doubt. There is talk in the AWSC that before you are able to purchase a trail permit you need to watch a video. This is one of the messages that could be explained is that clubs mark and maintain a vast majority of trails.
Clearly different parts of the state are run in different ways. If your down in the southern part sure the business don't so much of the work but I feel it's different in the northern counties.

I guess my main issue with the "club" attitude of many on this board is that the people who run the clubs think people should just sign up blindly. Rarely do I see anyone where I ride primarily or other areas actively recruiting people to join and showing them the benefit's. If they truly want more members additional effort is needed. Should it be this way.....no. But I do feels it's the reality.

pclark

Clearly different parts of the state are run in different ways. If your down in the southern part sure the business don't so much of the work but I feel it's different in the northern counties.

I guess my main issue with the "club" attitude of many on this board is that the people who run the clubs think people should just sign up blindly. Rarely do I see anyone where I ride primarily or other areas actively recruiting people to join and showing them the benefit's. If they truly want more members additional effort is needed. Should it be this way.....no. But I do feels it's the reality.
Clubs aren't making it on the $25-$35 membership fees. It's management of money from Fundraisers mainly. The events that are held up here are huge without question and they should be as this is where the snow is. The Dam Duck race on Labor Day weekend in MW brings in $7000 alone after prize money is paid out I believe. There is something going on up here pretty much all winter with all clubs. This will be my first year up here and I joined because I live here and want to help and support the club. I'm not really sure clubs need new members but they do need more members that are willing to volunteer their help. But that is only my view.

whitedust

I agree some clubs won’t be compatible with your expectations. When that happens visit another club see how you fit in there. I’ve used to rotate my membership from club to club and stayed in touch with all of them. In Vilas many many choices and I rode all their trails so sometimes you join where you’re needed most or you just plain like that group of people more.

Highflyer

I agree some clubs won’t be compatible with your expectations. When that happens visit another club see how you fit in there. I’ve used to rotate my membership from club to club and stayed in touch with all of them. In Vilas many many choices and I rode all their trails so sometimes you join where you’re needed most or you just plain like that group of people more.
I'm not worried about finding a new club for myself. I'm good with what I get out of my club. I'm just pointing out the reasons I see for lack of membership or interest in clubs. Specifically in Wisconsin and the UP. Can't speak for areas out East/west.

mrbb

I cannot speak for where your at, but in some states when you renew or register your sled, many also, make a suggestion to JOIN a club, and even say that doping so will net you a discount on registration fee's
so, that really does send a invite to everyone that registers a sled in these states!
then add in since SO many people today are on face book and such, and I don;t know of ANY club that doesn't have a page there, and on there pages, pretty much ALL clubs, offer invites to come join and help out!
in some of the bars
restaurants, and ATV snowmobile stores, in MY area,(and along many trails and even NOT near trails) all promote the clubs as well, and many places have membership applications there for you to join!

I am also a member of a PRIVATE trail system, that operate off JUST membership fee's and fund raisers, with a LITTLE help from some state funding,. its a NON profit club, of about 250 miles, and membership is about 100 bucks a person,/sled, as EVERY sled you own , had to have s sticker to be used on the trails!
so for folks that think a 25-30 dollar club membership is high, guess you;'s would all cry about paying a 100 a yr
add in last 4 yrs combines, I don;t think trails were ride able for only about 3 days combined of ALL 4 yrs put together!!
hell one yr they never opened!
but yet there is never a shortage of members joining the club, , but getting any members to help do trail work, show up at meetings,, get actively involved in the club itself, is a whole other story, few do so!

whitedust

I'm not worried about finding a new club for myself. I'm good with what I get out of my club. I'm just pointing out the reasons I see for lack of membership or interest in clubs. Specifically in Wisconsin and the UP. Can't speak for areas out East/west.
I never saw lack of interest in joining Vilas Clubs yes lack of participation in actually volunteering to do trail work. The perk for $10 trail permits definitely gives incentive to join. Most clubs do brat fries or picnics to meet and greet. Imo you need to attend a couple of meetings to get the true personality of a club. You’ll find some clubs don’t discuss business just and overview while the board members sets the action plan. I preferred open discussion meetings where everyone can voice an opinion.

ddhanna

I would say that in most of the north, clubs do 99% of the work, not businesses. We're used to it. As far as recruiting goes, most of the really active members didn't need to be recruited to do what they do. They do it for love of the sport and to give back. Those are the benefits. If you are waiting to be recruited, I guess you have different expectations.

Highflyer

I would say that in most of the north, clubs do 99% of the work, not businesses. We're used to it. As far as recruiting goes, most of the really active members didn't need to be recruited to do what they do. They do it for love of the sport and to give back. Those are the benefits. If you are waiting to be recruited, I guess you have different expectations

The last line is the exact problem. If a club's ego is above a little recruiting things will never change. Nobody is waiting to be recruited. However i do think clubs have people and even members on the sidelines that would be willing to help more with a little nudge. The recruiting would benefit in every way: membership, donations, foundraisers and maybe even the labor to get trails in order.

whitedust

The last line is the exact problem. If a club's ego is above a little recruiting things will never change. Nobody is waiting to be recruited. However i do think clubs have people and even members on the sidelines that would be willing to help more with a little nudge. The recruiting would benefit in every way: membership, donations, foundraisers and maybe even the labor to get trails in order.
Since you keep bringing up club recruitment. What exactly is your vision for club recruitment??

SHOOT2KILL

Here in Wisco...219,000+ registered snowmobiles...41,000 club members...Doesn't seem like the "join a club...Save $10.00 " program is working...