Snowy mountain conditions

hoffmansledder

Does anyone know of a reliable way to check conditions in the Snowys? We are headed that way 2 weeks from right now. Was hoping to be able to watch and check the conditions before we got there.

srxsrule

Two sites.....Backcountryrebels.com and Snowest.com. Both have a Wyoming link and sections about the Snowies. There are dozen of webcams, forecasts, and if you didnt know there is 4 weather stations on the mountain that give hourly weather data, IE: Snow Depth!!

I check the weather daily out there. Thats my riding area, only 750 miles from my door to the parking lot. Eric

FYI, they got just over a foot yesterday.

boatingbent

We were going to Togwotee Jan 1 but the Lack of snow there has us thinking about the Snowies....Never been to the Snowies before where is the best place to stay where there is the most snow where a f\guy can ride right from the Lodge ......Plese tell me whatever you can

srxsrule

We were going to Togwotee Jan 1 but the Lack of snow there has us thinking about the Snowies....Never been to the Snowies before where is the best place to stay where there is the most snow where a f\guy can ride right from the Lodge ......Plese tell me whatever you can

Albany lodge would be your best bet. That is about the only place this year as Snowy Mountain lodge is closed. Albany lodge is in the southern part of the riding area and the trail is right there. Its about 8000 ft at the lodge and you start riding up from there. Most riding is around 10-11,000 ft. The snow gets better as you head north out of albany, 10-20 miles on the trail makes a big difference. Eric

cuzzinolaf

Albany lodge would be your best bet. That is about the only place this year as Snowy Mountain lodge is closed. Albany lodge is in the southern part of the riding area and the trail is right there. Its about 8000 ft at the lodge and you start riding up from there. Most riding is around 10-11,000 ft. The snow gets better as you head north out of albany, 10-20 miles on the trail makes a big difference. Eric

Mountain Meadow Cabins is right near the lodge and his best bet.

srxsrule

Mountain Meadow Cabins is right near the lodge and his best bet.

I would agree with you but didnt post that option for several reasons. With snowy mountain lodge being closed this year there is no place for Gas or Food on the east side of the mountain. Also the road from the greenrock parking area to snowymountain lodge is almost blown shut because there has been very little effort in trying to keep it plowed this year.

So that would mean if you stay at Mt Medow Cabins you will have to bring in all your food and gas for your entire stay and have to haul it from the greenrock parking lot to the cabins on your sled. Eric

wideopenlemans

old corral, wyoming

"cenntenial" spelling? wyoming, 6 mile pull up a big hill to unload. Just got home.
eat at bear tree. the pizza. old c dosent start food till dec 25. freindly store has gas and hot food too. You never know unless you go.....I would be there if I could go back ASAP...park on road end off hwy 130/green rock trail head. I road past SML/ trail goes by there. the YAMAHA TRAILER was there all week plus we seen some sleds we never seen before.....

Last edited:

srxsrule

If you open up the options of trailering a few miles each day then you have many places to pick from.

That yamaha trailer next to Snowy Mountain lodge is Codys trailer. He runs Snowy Range tours and has a yamaha dealership in cheyane.

You may have seen some 2011 sleds out there as Yamaha corp may still be over on the west side doing photo shoots. Med Bow lodge where they were staying caught on fire and the lost most of the footage they had and had to start over. Eric

snoluver1

Chris at mountain medows will sometimes sell you gas if your staying with him and its not available at the lodge. You just have to ask him real nice. He's done it for us in the past.

nitroman

Old Corral! Rooms rock and Ken cooks a mean prime rib, Friendly right next door for gas and beer. The 10 min trailer up is no hassle at all and you are close to the "good stuff". Albany lodge way forces you to find gas mid day if you ride to the top and lets face it grooming is not so good so the 20 mile ride back to Albany after a full day is a bear. Ride from greenrock you get by on one tank of gas and pack a lunch to eat at the warming hut and it's all good!

fireman35

If you dont mind trailering when we go in March we just stay in town at the comfort inn, they get 70 a night for a double there all kinds of food and they have free hot breakfast,But you have to trailer 25 miles morning and evening.They have a nice pool and hot tub to chill out in in the evenings. we even made drinks in our rooms and carried them down no one cared

bigmoose

I would stay in Laramie and ride Cenntenial. Its about 25 miles out of town. The town has anything that you need for your sleds. Good food and decent hotel rates. I have stayed in the Comfort Inn the last 3 years, nice place

boatingbent

Old Corral! Rooms rock and Ken cooks a mean prime rib, Friendly right next door for gas and beer. The 10 min trailer up is no hassle at all and you are close to the "good stuff". Albany lodge way forces you to find gas mid day if you ride to the top and lets face it grooming is not so good so the 20 mile ride back to Albany after a full day is a bear. Ride from greenrock you get by on one tank of gas and pack a lunch to eat at the warming hut and it's all good!

Got me some rooms at Old Coral.....They could not get us in on the 1st of jan but they could for the 2nd .....So we will just stay in Larmrie the 1st night

ApExWyoming

Snow conditions

The snow conditions up there are great! I live about 30 miles from the mountain range and have been riding since october. Theres about 3-4 feet down but theres a lot of wind. So if you go to the north or the west on the mountain u can find over the hood powder!!! There keeping up with the road well 130 and yes the lodge is closed but mountain medow cabins is an awesome place to stay and will help transport your stuff to the cabins. There is food and gas up there. And its saposed to snow til after chrismas. If you have any questions feel free to ask thanks

they have also been groming the trails every night

Last edited: