Snowy mountain conditions

hoffmansledder

We are leaving around 4:00am tomorrow to head to the snowies. Staying at the mountain meadow cabins. We are taking plenty of gas cans and filling them before we get there hopefully to last us a few days. I talked to a lady at the cabins on Saturday and she said they had from 28-60 inches of base and was snowing pretty good. Can't wait to get there it is our first trip west.

snoluver1

Have fun and be safe Hoffman. I hope your bringing beacons,shovels and probs, and know how to use them. Be sure to check avy conditions before heading out each day. Talk to Chris before you head out and he will point you in the right direction for best riding. Snow is allways best on the west side of mountain. Be prepared to return every year!! Once you ride out west you'll be hooked.
Also, FYI, if anyone in your group has a can on there sled, tell them to leave it at home. You will only loose power at elevation, and Chris will not be shy to "educate" you on the #1 reason for land closures.

ApExWyoming

Yeah im not sure about gas up there besides the little gas station next to the corral. And theres no food up there so you got to bring your own or head down the mountain to centenial. The mountain meadow cabins are nice and the snow is great there getting snow up the 29, 30, 1, and the 2nd. I will be up there thursday thru sunday. Have fun and be safe you guys will have a blast!

ApExWyoming

yepp i will be staying there too from thursday til sunday even though i live in laramie. all the place at mountain medow cabins were booked!
c yall there

boatingbent

Kewl!!!!! We are stying in Laramie Friday night at the Super 8 one exit further west then HWY 130 Exit ...That super 8 pretty nice?????? Then we will just go to the old Corral Saturday morning

This is our 1st time to the Snowies ...In fact its the 1st time for some of us to go out west so this should be lots of Fun .......

I am sure we will see you in the Friendlys Bar in the Evenings .....

My Son and I just bought 2 new Dragon Switchbacks so we are eager to try them

doo_dr

Just got back from Centennial last night. We rode with Cody and Scott from Snowy Mtn Tours on Friday and Saturday. They hadn't had snow in 10 days so the trails and surrounding area off the trails were a concrete highway. Even with those conditions Cody got us in some good back country riding with moderate fluff on Friday. Saturday it was snowing when we woke up and it never stopped. We left Sunday morning @4am and it was still snowing to "beat the band". Scott took us out Saturday. We had times of complete white out so it was great having a guide that could handle the terrain and conditions. This is a perfect example of why guides are good to have. We would have probably not gone out or if we had, we would have stayed on the trail for fear of being lost. We started out with 6"of fresh snow in the am and by the end of the day we were in 16+" . With the exception of not being able to see some of the scenery, it was one of the best days riding I have ever had. This was the first time to the Snowies!!!! Thanks to the guys and gals at SMT, we'll be back.

Attachments

• DSC02420.jpg
    DSC02420.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:

yamaha104

Winter Creek Condo's and Cabins

Just wondering if anyone has stayed here. (www.wintercreekcondos.com) We are wanting to go there in February and Albany is booked. We are looking for a cabin to stay in for at least four people. Thanks for the input.

doo_dr

Just wondering if anyone has stayed here. (www.wintercreekcondos.com) We are wanting to go there in February and Albany is booked. We are looking for a cabin to stay in for at least four people. Thanks for the input.

I can't tell you about them. We stayed at The Old Corral. They just changed ownership/managers. It was clean and pretty nice. They were cleaning and repairing things so the kitchen was closed and the hot tub was under repair. The town isn't much to talk about but they have a gas station/cafe and a bar/cafe, both having good food. The motel manager and staff are very nice.

blutooth

You can also try www.mtnmeadowcabins.com About 5 miles farther up the mountain and you do have to sled in with your gear about a mile (they come and help), but you can ride from your door. Looks like the Winter Creek Condo requires a 4-5 mile trailer up the hill to get to sledding.

Team Kesslers is heading out to MMC in 3 days 2 hours until departure!

As a side note, everything you need can be found in the small town of Centennial.

Also both Winter Creek, the Old Corral, and MMC are better choices that Albany Lodge as far as sledding goes. To get to the interesting stuff it is a 20 mile sled ride from Albany. That being said I think Albany has a better night life with a bar, but last time we were there there was a group who trailered from Albany every day to ride out of Greenrock...

Blutooth

blutooth

can that 20 mile ride on trail be done quickly if going 70

Yeah it can be done pretty quickly, but the problem isn't really the time it is the fuel. There aren't any gas stations up on the mountain so you need to bring all of your fuel for the day with you. When you are figuring in 40 miles of trail riding, that is 1/3 of your gas in the tank, and gas goes quickly out there in deep snow.

I'm noot saying that the riding down by Albany is bad, it just doesn't have the changes in elevation like you see out of the Greenrock parking area. I have the trail maps in PDF but it is too big to post, email me if you want it (I can't remember where I found it - I think on Wyoming's website)

http://wyotrails.state.wy.us/Snow/pdf/SnowyRange.pdf this version is chopped up all funny...

fgsacts

Snowy Mountain Lodge closing changed alot of things in the Snowys. Have to watch your fuel very closely if staying to far down the mountain away from the "good" spots.

hoffmansledder

Do your self a favor and stay with chris at the mountain meadow cabins. Good people, and great cabins. Take and extra 15 gal of fuel in cans per person and leave it in your trailer. when you leave in the morning ride the 1 mile down to your trailer and fill up. That will get you thru about 3-4 days of riding. Then if you have to go to Centennial 1 time to fill up if you have to. Worked for us.

nitroman

That 20 mile ride at the end of the day sucks! We switched to Old Corral because of it. They groom the trails somedays but in all of our trips out there I can truly say I never had a good ride back to Albany. You only need to fuel up one time a day if you ride out of greenrock. The downside is if you want to head down to Wycolo it's a haul from greenrock(there is a lot of good spots off of R if you look for them). Albany does have a bar but so does Centenial, the Friendly.

bru

Updates

Anyone been out there recently? Heading out to Laramie in a week and a half, just wondering what conditions are like.

RevKev

We were there a week and half ago, there was plenty of snow, but it was sugar, right after we left and went up to Cooke City Mt, they received about 18in of fresh. We stayed over by Saratoga, at Ten Mile Inn.

blutooth

Just got back. Snowed 2-3 feet on the back side last Monday and no one was out riding - on Tuesday and Wednesday combined there were probably only 15 trucks in the parking lot (on the Saturday and Sunday before the storm there were at least 200).

The sun was out and it was nice so it was settling a bit Tues and Wed, but it was fresh everywhere! We had the whole place to ourselves. This weekend it will get tracked up pretty good though.

Here are some pics:
http://www.johndee.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=16694

Blutooth

Last edited: