Soldiers Feb. deerhunt

What do you all think about the Wi. special Feb. deer hunt for returning soldiers? I don't like it. Here we go again, and I don't think it is good for the deer either. This is just crazy.

chadlyt

thats a tough one. My brother has been deployed the past 4 deer seasons. I'm sure he would like it, but i know he understands if he is gone during that time, then he misses it.

plus, if he came back during that time, i'm not sure how much he'd want to be outside for over 8 hours with a gun in his hand after doing so the past 8 months.

good idea, just not thought out that well.

I feel sorry for the soldiers too. As an outdoor recreation person, I don't want to contend with deer hunters now. But more important, I feel it isn't good for the deer. Haven't the bucks lost their antlers by now? The does have carried fawns for quite a while already. I just think it would hurt the herd, what is left of it.

Firecatguy

Im not A Hunter but I do have friends in the sandbox and they talk about hunting alot and during hunting season they were going stir crazy with the deer pics on F/B..

if they want to shoot A deer or two have at it and when you come back in please let me buy you A beer!!Whooo aaaahh...

thank you for giving up your life here in the land of the free and going to that craphole in the sand.....

Last edited:
I agree, a special zone deer hunt in Wisconsin next fall. Enjoy what is in season now. There are a lot of Vets. out here, including me.

classic_rider

im glad everyone is in agreement,,special hunt in feb,,,,,,,,,,,,when the dnr says no sledding in feb because of the special hunt ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, just smile.............and say yes please........

ubee

Who said no sledding, All the troops have to do is wear blaze orange and let them use their sleds or atvs. iI bet most snowmobilers would help gut and drag it out for them!

Attachments

• board-profile.jpg
    board-profile.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 19

tman

I am not in favor of this special hunt. Some of the reasons being, today it is an all volunteer military and if you are overseas it pretty much was your choice when you signed up and if that means you miss deer season so be it. There was a draft when I was in the service and a very unpopular war, returning vets were harassed and ridiculed for being there. Many of us missed deer season too, and Christmas and all kinds of other special times back home. I missed three deer gun seasons out of four while I was serving, does that mean I will be able to participate in the special hunt as well? Most overseas vets from that era have prostate cancer from agent orange that shows up 40 years later and if you survive that you qualify for some disabilty. Enough with the special hunting seasons already! Go to DC and look at the wall for a couple of hours and then tell me how you feel about serving.

deerhunter

i agree with tman. i have all the respect for soldiers over seas. but they signed up for this. i just dont agree having a speacial hunt for soldiers coming home. im glad to hear that they are coming home to there families.

djhupnorth

I agree with all the issues but....... Let the returning soldiers hunt! I thank them for volunteering to keep us safe and ALL the sacrifices they and their families have to make. I doubt the impact would be that great.

djhupnorth

In fact.... it might not have any impact because they would have the same luck our party had.... did not see a deer! Not many deer left for other reasons.

caleb55

Why I think it's a nice jestor, I think it's a bad idea. One, I think the bucks will have dropped their antlers, so you won't be able to tell which are bucks and does. Also, it seems that a doe would be starting to get pretty well along on her pregnancy. I wouldn't want to gut a deer with a little one inside.

liv2ride

I think we should have a 3 week special hunt because we have way too many deer out there, and we should close the trails at the same time because our snowmobile season is way too long and the buisiness owners are making way too much money. Maybe I could be in charge of the DNR with all my great ideas!

jojo69

Well said, lets just keep adding laws to the books without taking old ones off. Everytime you turn around a group of people are getting special treatment over the rest of the population. What ever happened to equal treatment to all. I am not taking anything away from any group for what they represent, but this is my opinion.

harvest1121

Why not a wolf hunt? I am sure they would do that and hunters could donate deer meat to each wolf shot. We could rent a resort and have a wild game feast and show our appreciation also.