Someone has to start this......

jr37

Thanks everyone for this post! I've been looking for campgrounds with availability for the next few weeks and hopefully this uncovered some new gems for us!

Booked a couple nights next weekend at Big Eau Pleine.

As for my favorites:

McLain State Park in the UP by Hancock is fantastic

And in Southeastern Wisconsin I like:

Wyalusing (busy)
and
Yellowstone State Park

We tend to find places wil lots of hiking and secluded sites (the dogs prefer it).

I also need a site with electricity (just in case the weather is hot)

We are going to the Big Eau Pleine this weekend. I only live 12 miles away, maybe I will be able to come and look you up next weekend.

jr37

You camp within 12 miles of home?

I know it is kinda close to home, but it really is one of our favorite campgrounds. I work a swing shift so sometimes I will take it and set it up on a Friday morning and then go to work, and come back at 11:30 after work. It is a convienence, but the place also fits our taste in a park.

flatlandassn

Wyalusing state park, as mentiond is very nice, on the blufs above where the WI river an MS river meet. Blue mounds state park is good 50 west of Madison or so. All the little towns it that area a neat, Mt Horeb is one. Point Beach state park north of sheboygan is also high on my list. As mentiond there are other great state parks but they get packed (devils lake, penisula)

coldbear

Holiday Travel Park, Traverse City Mich.

We travel to the lower part of the western state of Michigan. This park is beautiful in the fall. If one is lucky to get on the island, then he or she would be in heaven. The park is owned by the Airstream Club of America, but everyone is welcome. A friendly bunch of attendants to make your stay comfortable. Pet friendly too!

windingtrailgal

I'm taking notes on everyone's favorite places!
I couldn't pick a favorite...
One of the coolest places I ever camped was just outside of Ouray Colorado - a small point between 2 rivers. Ruined camping for me from that point on!?! Place outside of Keystone off the Jeep trail - not a campsite but just a place where you can set up camp was awesome too.
Loved camping on Madeline Island.
Backpacking spot on the farthest W point in the Porkies with my tent pitched right by the 'cliff' wall.
I've been to the State Park at Silver City - was cool cuz it was fun but it was 'field' camping. Stayed at Wilderness state park on the mitt side of the bridge - got to ride our bikes down to the boat launch to see a 1000'er going thru the straits with the bridge all lit up. VERY cool.
Sooo many awesome spots in the Northwoods of WI!! Great combo of woods and water!
Oh, Itasca state park where the Mississippi starts in Minnesota? AWESOME!
Kind of 'locally'? the Kettle Moraines - both North and South.
And the in SE Missouri? Can't go wrong with the camp sites along the Current River for a nice float trip in the canoe wiht a few coolers full o beer!
Wait? What was the question again?? :D

We tried Dexter County Park last year, and the North Wood County Park a few weeks ago. We liked them both, and plan to return again. My boys enjoyed that driving through the water to enter the campground at the North Park.

Well, we can't awlays guarantee that you would need to drive through the river to get into the campgrounds. Usually it is lower than the bridge. That bridge used to be about two feet lower than it currently sits. But, yeah both of those are very nice parks. We love North Wood County, too. Plus, it's only a fifteen minute drive from home.

gordonroot

my wife's and mine favorite campground is muskallonge lake state park in the u.p., you have the campground on the lake, and then you can walk across the road to lake superior. your away from everything and is very relaxing. we love the area, we stay in pinestump when were snowmobiling and can't wait till we can get up there in winter or summer.

surtrack

jr37. I agree with the Big Eau Plaine. Got all three big weekends reserved + other weekends. Been camping there since 1967. Jerry in Schofield

jr37

jr37. I agree with the Big Eau Plaine. Got all three big weekends reserved + other weekends. Been camping there since 1967. Jerry in Schofield

We are in Site no. 10 on Memorial weekend, 30' Jayco with a 3/4 GMC. Stop in and say hi and I'll buy you a Point.

Last edited:

ezra

most of the double trees are nice cant go wrong with a Hilton or Ramada.I consider any drive up motel roughing it

dafalls

1. Our cabin near Tahquamenon Falls
2. Busco Beach, an 1800 acre atv park near Raleigh, NC
3. Charlotte Motor Speedway or any Nascar track for that matter

yooper

Everglades National Park

http://www.everglades.national-park.com/info.htm

I normally camp out on the chickie huts located deep in the park on the water. It is really an awesome experience fishing all day and then setting up camp on a 10 by 12 double chickie. Nothing but the stars and the natural inhabitants to keep you company (and my fishing partner) :)

Last edited: