Southern MN - Looking for Recommendations

600_RMK_144

Last year we went all the way up to Two Harbors. Awesome trip, but long (coming from Des Moines, IA). With this incoming storm, it would appear we might / could get away with a much shorter drive to get to good pow. Advice on trails to ride, places to unload and lodging options --- South of the Twin Cities would be much appreciated. Thanks!

TheDoo

If you want a short drive I would suggest Trail 85, start in Preston and ride up to Cannon Falls area. Very hilly and tree covered around Zumbro Falls, Millville. Anything east of Hwy 52 towards WI is the best riding in southern MN if you like the river valley stuff, otherwise go west and more flat, open fields.

Only thing is the trails may not be groomed until after this storm for the first time this season where if you drive north to at least Pine City trails have already been groomed back in December so this snow should make it very good riding.

snowchief

The trail system in our area, I live near Waterville is nice you can cover some ground and ride multiple counties problem is it might take some time for the area groomers to get out and groom and even when they do it still can be hit or miss in each area of each county, I love riding around home when I can, but I would agree with the above statement we a couple times a year if conditions are good trailer over to zumbrota area and ride east, north, and south of there nice terrain over that way, not sure if they've had any snow yet either so could take them a bit too, covered bridge riders do a great job over there, there is a lot of nice riding to be had in southern mn

600_RMK_144

Exactly what I needed. Zumbrota is very doable (3.5hrs vs. 7+ up to T. Harbors). Hopefully this storm hits. Thanks guys!!!

GTL

I am really going to follow this one!!! I am dying to know how you got from Iowa to Two Harbors (thru the twin cities) I have rode from home (I.G.H. so of the cities to Iowa but can't see a rideable trail north)

My area is excellent also, some bluff riding with a mix of fields and valleys as well. From Red Wing you could head north towards Welch up to Miesville and eat at a bar called Kings. You can do a loop thru Zumbrota, Goodhue, Belchester and end up in Haycreek and have some food at Dressens saloon. You could also throw Cannon Falls into the loop as well depending on how many miles you want to ride in a day. Out towards Frontenac and Lake City is a great ride as well, a lot more hills and valleys that will be beautiful if we get the predicted snow. Just know I’m not sure how the grooming will be as the storm isn’t expected to wind down until Saturday, I would think late Saturday night or for sure Sunday into Monday we will be out in full force. Most of our base was destroyed with the rain and warm weather a few weeks back. As luck would have it I’m leaving for the UP on Sunday morning. Hope you have a great ride and enjoy the area.

SledTL

I am really going to follow this one!!! I am dying to know how you got from Iowa to Two Harbors (thru the twin cities) I have rode from home (I.G.H. so of the cities to Iowa but can't see a rideable trail north)

You would have to drop in cottage grove so that you are on the correct side of the river. Star trail goes up through Stillwater/Hugo and points north. I think he is referring to driving not riding.

600_RMK_144

You would have to drop in cottage grove so that you are on the correct side of the river. Star trail goes up through Stillwater/Hugo and points north. I think he is referring to driving not riding.

Correct. Drove up and unloaded from Two Harbors.

- - - Updated - - -

My area is excellent also, some bluff riding with a mix of fields and valleys as well. From Red Wing you could head north towards Welch up to Miesville and eat at a bar called Kings. You can do a loop thru Zumbrota, Goodhue, Belchester and end up in Haycreek and have some food at Dressens saloon. You could also throw Cannon Falls into the loop as well depending on how many miles you want to ride in a day. Out towards Frontenac and Lake City is a great ride as well, a lot more hills and valleys that will be beautiful if we get the predicted snow. Just know I’m not sure how the grooming will be as the storm isn’t expected to wind down until Saturday, I would think late Saturday night or for sure Sunday into Monday we will be out in full force. Most of our base was destroyed with the rain and warm weather a few weeks back. As luck would have it I’m leaving for the UP on Sunday morning. Hope you have a great ride and enjoy the area.

Thanks for the tips. Isn't that how it always goes? Heading out somewhere else for good pow, just as a storm is set to hit your backyard. LOL!

600_RMK_144

Any updates on this area? Heading up Friday. Gotta take the girls since its V-Day. Staying by MOA for them. Me and the boy will be heading a bit southeast Saturday to hit areas previously mentioned. Likely to unload by Cannon Falls area. How are the trails looking? Thanks!!!

sweeperguy

Any updates on this area? Heading up Friday. Gotta take the girls since its V-Day. Staying by MOA for them. Me and the boy will be heading a bit southeast Saturday to hit areas previously mentioned. Likely to unload by Cannon Falls area. How are the trails looking? Thanks!!!

Was looking good while driving through a couple weeks back. Would think they'd be good.

TheDoo

The trails in that area have been groomed this week, good condition, little cold snap helped. The further south the more snow, think Rochester ended up with 10".

I went for a ride Tuesday and yesterday, everything was groomed that I rode. Areas like Cannon Falls, Goodhue, Red Wing, etc. The wind has created some drifts in the trail so those were the only bumps we encountered. Have fun.

old abe

Somewhat of an inside joke. We rode with Dan several years ago. He put a hat on with a D on top of it at the Gay Bar (hence D__K Head). Bonnevier has pics. Good times!

Yeah, well, lots of that kind of stuff goes on at the Gay bar, eh! It's all good!