St.Germain radar runs

wfd123

Looked on face book and the 2021 St.Germain radar runs are already cancelled. I just don’t understand

whitedust

Suspected result with Covid on the rise me I’m waiting for the other boot to drop with Evers and Whitmer to try and shutdown the snowmobiling season to protect us from Covid spread. I hope not but dems think a shutdown is feasible. Time will tell.

wisco-mb

Suspected result with Covid on the rise me I’m waiting for the other boot to drop with Evers and Whitmer to try and shutdown the snowmobiling season to protect us from Covid spread. I hope not but dems think a shutdown is feasible. Time will tell.

Based on your logic, wouldn't ATV and boating be shutdown over the summer...?

xcr440

True - but the difference with snowmobile trails (For those of us who are mostly trail riders) is will they allow the DNR to go do their job, or will they have them sitting in the groomer shacks polishing their equipment? (Take that as you wish).

wisco-mb

True - but the difference with snowmobile trails (For those of us who are mostly trail riders) is will they allow the DNR to go do their job, or will they have them sitting in the groomer shacks polishing their equipment? (Take that as you wish).

Not sure I understand. Do you mean enforcement?

xcr440

Not sure I understand. Do you mean enforcement?

Grooming. I'm not sure how much the WI or MI DNR does for grooming, but in MN, the main state trails are maintained by DNR state employees. We've been told in MN that nothing will change for this season, but if cases continue (DUH) its just a question of whether the Gov decides to be "safe" and restrict things again.

At this point, I'm holding out hope that being in a groomer is still being "socially distant", and things won't be affected trail wise.

whitedust

Certainly not my logic but Whitmer did shut down boating Evers did not. If governors want to shut down snowmobiling certainly easy enough to do by shutting trail gates

wisco-mb

Grooming. I'm not sure how much the WI or MI DNR does for grooming, but in MN, the main state trails are maintained by DNR state employees. We've been told in MN that nothing will change for this season, but if cases continue (DUH) its just a question of whether the Gov decides to be "safe" and restrict things again.

At this point, I'm holding out hope that being in a groomer is still being "socially distant", and things won't be affected trail wise.

Gotcha. I did not know that about MN. In WI, there are no state employees that groom. All groomers are orchestrated by the club that maintains the trails(private or state-owned, funded or non-funded).
County Coordinator(DNR) will distribute those funds to the club.

G

G

If there is no grooming it won't matter if the gates are open or not. In a very short time there will be holes 5 feet deep and nobody will ride anyway.

katden4

If they do shut it down, I really hope that everyone understands where its legal to ride off trail, and where its not. This could become a problem.

xcr440

Gotcha. I did not know that about MN. In WI, there are no state employees that groom. All groomers are orchestrated by the club that maintains the trails(private or state-owned, funded or non-funded).
County Coordinator(DNR) will distribute those funds to the club.

That's what I figured in Sconnie. MOST trails in MN are local club maintained, and groomed. I'm confident snowmobilers who are in those clubs (As everyone should be for state funding of said clubs) will still be out doing what they always have been. My guess is most snowmobilers are NOT on board with shutting the trails, and regardless of any "mandate", will do what they've always done.

gade-thrasher

Probably more related to their ability to get insurance for the event than anything. Think about it ... it's an outdoor event in winter when most people would be wearing a facemask anyway. But from a business standpoint, can you imagine the sh&t-storm that would come down if someone where to claim they got COVID at your event? I can imagine that insurance companies don't want to deal with that. So, insurance is either hard to come by, or way to expensive to justify.

buddah2

Grooming. I'm not sure how much the WI or MI DNR does for grooming...

In MI the DNR used to do the grooming when we first started coming up to the U.P. in the mid-90s...by the time we moved here, 2002, it was all clubs paid out of the state fund...in our area (Munising) it used to be done by a for-profit operator until 2015...since then it's been all club maintained

WorkHardPlayHrd

In MI the DNR used to do the grooming when we first started coming up to the U.P. in the mid-90s...by the time we moved here, 2002, it was all clubs paid out of the state fund...in our area (Munising) it used to be done by a for-profit operator until 2015...since then it's been all club maintained

The best thing that happened by Munising was getting rid of that for profit operator. The improvement in trail quality there went through the roof when the club took over. Can't say enough the improvement of that trail section. SORVA does a great job now.

euphoric1

Certainly not my logic but Whitmer did shut down boating Evers did not. If governors want to shut down snowmobiling certainly easy enough to do by shutting trail gates

whitedust, I couldn't agree more! and quite honestly I am concerned for the upcoming sledding season, not that I wont get my week in the Kee but more so for the industry and the businesses in the north woods that need the short season to survive. With the pending doom of potential change in the government coming in the next week, the shut down lefties may just do that. In Europe they announced mandatory 4 week shut downs, to a point where again ALL nonessential businesses closed with tight restrictions of those that will be deemed essential, also you will require a certificate to be outside of your home for anything other than essential travel. So yeah...we all should be worried about the coming season with the whack a doodle gov's both Wi and Mi have. Am I mistaken doesn't this virus have a 99.1% survival rate??? Why then are we not hunkering down the "At Risk" people??? and allow the rest of population function??? And we still have THOUSANDS of wisconites waiting over 16 WEEKS for their FIRST unemployment check!!! I may be over reading into this but am very concerned for the north woods this season. As far as outdoor activities, there is no larger migration of people from out of state, within state than snowmobiling and I can see either one of our gov's trying to curve that migration. Not to mention if we have a change of position in the big office. I don't see it getting ANY better!!

DamageInc

Probably more related to their ability to get insurance for the event than anything. Think about it ... it's an outdoor event in winter when most people would be wearing a facemask anyway. But from a business standpoint, can you imagine the sh&t-storm that would come down if someone where to claim they got COVID at your event? I can imagine that insurance companies don't want to deal with that. So, insurance is either hard to come by, or way to expensive to justify.

That's why waivers were invented. Just have everyone who attends sign a waiver, problem solved.

I've been shooting my usual PRS matches all year, and the only waivers I've signed are the normal ones that we always sign (which would probably cover liability for a virus, too). PRS matches are ALL insured.