St.Germain to porcupine Mtn and back

jmd

Any idea on shortest route from St germain to porcupine man and back in 1 day?
how many miles?

indy_500

If it were me, I would take trail 6 out of the west side of St G, hook up with 15 and north you go to Boulder Junction, continue north on 15 out of BJ and it turns back into trail 6 and head up to Presque Isle. Take that across the MI border and it turns into trail 1, run that up to Marinesco. Hook up with the trail 2 rr grade in Marinesco and take that northwest to Wakefield. Once in Wakefield, take trail 8 northeast to Bergland and then hop onto trail 11 and into the porkies you go. Actually a pretty easy straightforward trip. Not sure your destination, but my guess is 110-130 miles 1 way until you hit south boundary road.

goofy600

Indy 500 was spot on according to BRP app at 131 miles one way, you could shorten it up a little by after leaving Marenisco hop on lake Gogebic that would save some time.

Tim in Indiana

In Marenisco I would simply go on up 1 to 100 to the bottom of Lake Gogebic. Then run the lake north up to the Hoop at the NW corner. Hop off there onto trail 1/8 across Highway 28. Continue north a couple miles or less to 102 and run it up to 11 or the south boundary road. Run it around to the east and then north and you'll pop out right on the lake shore. You can go left to Lake of the Clouds or right to Silver City.

From Silver City you can come back down on 1 thru White Pine (they have gas at the Konteka) to Bergland which also has gas. Then back down the lake to the bottom SW corner and off on 100 at the park to 1 then back into Marenisco and home. This would make a nice loop that only doubles you back from Marenisco on down.

I think this is somewhat the same as Indy described except for running the 20 miles west to Wakefield on 2 and then back east the same distance on 8 which is out of your way. Of course if you want the miles and the trails are good so be it.

Also, I don't think it is called trail 11 until you actually get to the South Boundary Road up at the park. The signs at the split off just north of Bergland call it trail 102. If its groomed its a great ride.

Beware, if this is a weekend ride the route from Boulder north gets run heavily and the trails are usually beat bad by afternoon. Especially Trail 1.

picbn

I like Tim in Indiana's route...except on the way back you could get off Lake Gogebic on he south end and take 100 a little east to 13 south to the Cisco Chain down to Bent's Camp...then work your way south to Star Lake to Sayner and back to St. Germain. That way you're making a complete loop.

indy_500

Lake will definitely be quicker! I’m not a lake guy and have always avoided Gogebic. All good suggestions.

goofy600

As stated lot of good options and basically closer to the 130 to possibly 150 one way mileage.

dfattack

Lake will definitely be quicker! I’m not a lake guy and have always avoided Gogebic. All good suggestions.
I was on Gogebic last week for the first time.

Wondering why you avoid?

Mostly just curious. Last week the lake was flat and fast but I can see if drifts are out there or ice heaves that could be tough. Didn't see any of those but have heard stories.

indy_500

I was on Gogebic last week for the first time.

Wondering why you avoid?

Mostly just curious. Last week the lake was flat and fast but I can see if drifts are out there or ice heaves that could be tough. Didn't see any of those but have heard stories.
I know the east side of the lake doesn’t freeze well and tends to heave. A month ago when I was last up there in that area, there was no more than 2” in the middle of the lake and there was people riding across it. Unless I’m super destination driven and need to save time, I usually always take land trails.

whitedust

I know the east side of the lake doesn’t freeze well and tends to heave. A month ago when I was last up there in that area, there was no more than 2” in the middle of the lake and there was people riding across it. Unless I’m super destination driven and need to save time, I usually always take land trails.
Totally agree point and shoot on lakes rather ride the trail. Spent 16 years on North Twin had my fill of lake riding. I would wave riders off soft spot between North and South Twin and they wouldn’t pay any attention rode right into it. Sure if pressed for time lakes can make up time but other than that I’m on the trail too. I started to prefer the lake bipass trail my last few years there.

dfattack

2" is definitely not enough.

So you're deciding for safety reasons...I'm with you on that one. I went out there as I said last week but stayed where there were tracks and followed Euphoric1's track so if he made it I figured I was good :D

indy_500

2" is definitely not enough.

So you're deciding for safety reasons...I'm with you on that one. I went out there as I said last week but stayed where there were tracks and followed Euphoric1's track so if he made it I figured I was good :D
I’m sure there’s 6-8+ now. A month ago, we had 1 week of cold, but super warm temps before that. And that area got piled with snow early on which insulated the ice.

I would say I lean towards land trails 2/3 of the way for safety. 1/3 of it because it’s boring. Also, trails that usually loop around lakes are typically in mint condition because everyone rides the lake 🙃 for example, everybody and their brother rides across plum and star lake in vilas to get to the establishments. Ever ride the trail that loops around star lake? Always mint condition, even at 3 pm on a Saturday afternoon, and it’s a fun trail too…

wiscrev

I’m sure there’s 6-8+ now. A month ago, we had 1 week of cold, but super warm temps before that. And that area got piled with snow early on which insulated the ice.

I would say I lean towards land trails 2/3 of the way for safety. 1/3 of it because it’s boring. Also, trails that usually loop around lakes are typically in mint condition because everyone rides the lake 🙃 for example, everybody and their brother rides across plum and star lake in vilas to get to the establishments. Ever ride the trail that loops around star lake? Always mint condition, even at 3 pm on a Saturday afternoon, and it’s a fun trail too…
Haven't taken it in years, but trail on west side of Lake Gogebic takes forever to get to Berland----Lake, 15 minutes. It was always a good trail, just took too much time.

indy_500

Haven't taken it in years, but trail on west side of Lake Gogebic takes forever to get to Berland----Lake, 15 minutes. It was always a good trail, just took too much time.
Yep, I suggested to him to take the grade from Marinesco to Wakefield and over to bergland on 8.

Tim in Indiana

I ran the lake up/down today. It was good. If the ice is similar to PI there should be 12" or more by now. Except for the NE or SE corners where the water enters/leaves.