Stain on walls: what is it?

jjj70095

Several walls at summer home have these dots/stains on them. One is in a closet, other is a bedroom, other is walkout basement. What do you think it is?
I dont have any leaks. House is 24 years old. IMG_0032.jpg IMG_0031.jpg IMG_0030.jpg

dfattack

Try to keep humidity down. If you aren’t there a lot try to keep the heat set higher than you are currently. At least 62 to 66 degrees. This will run the heat more but will also keep humidity down.

favoritos

It doesn't look good. Is that bleed through staining? I'm guessing it does not wash off.

You mentioned 40% humidity and 60 degree indoor temps in the door thread. That is high humidity with cold outdoor temps. Do you have the same temp humidity in the rooms with mold? How much condensation to you see on windows?

You can paint all day long and it will come back if you don't manage the humidity.

jjj70095

The paint on the wall is Hallman Lindsey.

The entry window has been fixed and no more moisture problems. The stains are at 4 various areas in the house, not any room or area of house in particular. Going to stop at paint and hardware store today to see what they recommend. These small stains have been there for years, and I realized I should look into them. They are not huge by any means, but prob is some mold forming in certain areas.

Last edited:

jjj70095

Am going to spray and wipe with Mold Armor Indoor and Outdoor Mold killer, and wipe it with moist cloth.
Then come summer going to repaint the areas with wall paint that has some mold protector in it as well.

dfattack

If that's mold it could be behind the drywall. Not just on the surface. I agree with Favoritos, 40% humidity at 60 degrees will give you way too much moisture in the walls and windows if it is cold outside. I don't know enough about the house you are talking about but if you aren't living there full time you can't just leave the humidifiers running 24/7 without having something regulating the humidifiers based on outside air temp. Again, making assumptions but even if you are there full time (although 60 degrees is a bit nippy) you should be seeing a ton of moisture on the windows and this would eventually lead to moisture in the walls.

hybrid

mold is hard to kill
always seems to come back over time
unless tear it out
TSP works good
seen some company's use dry ice to kill it
whatever you decide to do will at least slow it down
outside walls that don't see any sun ever really suck

Last edited:

jjj70095

I use the house for a month in Dec, week in March, and for the summer months. I only use humidifier when I am here in winter to get the humidity to 40 percent so my throat is not dry and I am not coughing. I like it 60 for a temp. There is no moisture on the windows.

I sprayed on the Armor spray, waited 60 seconds and wiped the area clean with a damp cloth. The stains are gone!
Will wait for summer to apply paint over the areas.

euphoric1

Mold.... and was going to suggest just as hybrid TSP works really well to clean surfaces, hard to tell in pic what type of paint, looks flat. worked at hardware store in younger years and learned (dont know if true or not) but semi-gloss paint less proned to mold and mildew.

mezz

When not there, keep your room doors open as well as the closets & if you have them, keep ceiling fans on to keep air moving. Just a thought.

favoritos

When not there, keep your room doors open as well as the closets & if you have them, keep ceiling fans on to keep air moving. Just a thought.
Free air movement helps a lot. Closet corners are notorious for being the first spots to have mold in high humidity.

garageguy

Try painting it with good primer and paint if it hasn't changed in 4 years. Also think about heat tape on roof to prevent ice damming

favoritos

@LoveMyDobe , Those marks look like plain ol water stains. I'd also say that if nothing has changed in four years that's good news. Must have been a lot of water coming in at the time if it leaked through all the joints.

Mold is a whole other issue. It essentially grows like a patch of weeds in cases I've seen. It starts in spots, usually where there is less air flow and high moisture. It slowly pops up new growth around the original location. I've also found that high moisture environments will start showing mold in multiple locations as time progresses.

I've dealt with the issue in places I've bought. In some cases it will scrub off. It's rare and usually is associated with dirty surface. That means scrubbing down the whole works before repainting.

Mold is rarely just the stuff you see on paint. When it's coming through the paint I tear out the rock and start over. High moisture destroys the paper and the gypsum becomes brittle. The framing underneath is often damaged as well.

There are shortcuts to remedy the issue. In most cases those solutions are short term unless the cause is addressed. Prolonged high humidity is a major cause.