Stay on the Trail or Stay Home

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm double posting this as visitors are unable to access the story on the Barstool page. Maybe if enough people who don't know or don't care about this issue, see it in print we can change some habits and attitude.

Trails.jpg
It's private land, you're a guest, any questions?

hermie

Unfortunately we live in a world where people feel entitled to do what ever they want to do. There are signs all over to stay on the trails yet I see tracks all over the place. The fines need to be raised alot. They also need to really jack up the loud exhaust fine. I can't believe how many sleds I have heard that are way higher then the legal db. This sport alone with other motorized sports are in trouble.

x-ride

Same issues here in the northern lower. I have a cabin that is surrounded by state land, we have an easement thought protected land, we use our easement with our sleds to get down to our place in the winter (no motorized vehicles allowed outside of our easement). Once we lay a set of tracks down to our cabin, its like open season for every sled in the county to follow the tracks and rip up my property and the state land all around us. Granted, for the most part, people realize its private property once they get down there and turn around, but it only takes 1 or 2 inconsiderate yahoos to wreck it for everyone. I agree on the loud exhaust also hermie.

D

Deleted member 10829

I deal with this issue often for our club. By far my least favorite part. There will come a day when the only trails will be government owned. :(

old abe

Unfortunately we live in a world where people feel entitled to do what ever they want to do. There are signs all over to stay on the trails yet I see tracks all over the place. The fines need to be raised alot. They also need to really jack up the loud exhaust fine. I can't believe how many sleds I have heard that are way higher then the legal db. This sport alone with other motorized sports are in trouble.
Just more of the "Hurray for me, and to ---- with you", "I Don't Care Attitude"! Sad, but so it is!

x-ride

X-ride, do they rip up your property or are they making tracks in the snow? Just asking.
Both, but mostly just make tracks in the snow, looking for that fresh powder to play in I suppose. Low snow years like this year make it very noticeable. Don't get me wrong, I really don't care about seeing tracks on my personal property, its the tracks all over the land they are not supposed to be on that is the issue.

parker

Thanks for posting this here in Miscellaneous

I posted in Area Conditions a Message from our Club and Our LAND OWNERS. I'm certain all clubs will concur.

Above Large Fines are a suggested method of dealing with this.
YOU MUST REALIZE - WE ALL ARE PAYING THAT FINE WITH LOSS OF TRAIL, and ALL THAT WENT ALONG WITH OBTAINING AND MAINTAINING THAT TRAIL.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Parker, I moved your post to Miscellaneous for more to see.

Gary
Private Property

We have SEVERAL Landowners that have expressed their discouragement with snowmobilers TRESPASSING on their property riding outside the trail boundaries they have granted you permission to ride on. To the point that if this doesn’t stop, they will SHUT DOWN the Trail.

This Self-inflicted Situation will result in both the Ignorant (if the shoe fits) Snowmobiler, and also Unfortunately the Educated / Respectful Snowmobiler with yet MORE LOST TRAILS out of an already Fragile System that has taken Decades of Work to develop for the Enjoyment of all. Slap in the Face to All who have contributed to the Establishment and Maintenance of this System.
Do you Like Buying Hyfax and Carbides because you have to ride the PLOWED Road ? You will.

Anyone who owns any type of property regardless of size and type surely understands the Land Owners point. Those who chose to be ignorant to this problem most likely are not, or have never been real property owners.

FYI – The Trail Pass purchase Does Not Permit reckless disregard.

It is unfortunate that trails are continually LOST due to the selfish actions of a small percentage of riders choosing to call themselves snowmobilers and part of our community. Let me be clear, YOU ARE NOT part of Our Community.

The Association of Wisconsin Snowmobile Clubs is working on raising awareness to this issue, which a lot of you will agree has reached crisis level. This problem needs to be owned, and eradicated by ALL involved in Our Community. All Riders, Powersport Dealers, Restaurants, Bars, Hotels, Gas Stations, Chambers of Commerce, Tourist Info Sites, Retailers, need to be part of the STOP THE TRESPASSING Education Campaign. Actively, getting the word out to the threatening nature of this problem. It’s VERY Real … Once you lose the Landowner they ARE GONE FOREVER.

Acknowledging trespassing is a Huge Problem and politely mentioning to customers that Staying On The Trail is appreciated will go farther coming from those Establisments and Tourist Depts. directly involved and will pay dividends over time. More so than any magazine article. Remember, Trespasser’s do not read.

pclark

Parker, I moved your post to Miscellaneous for more to see.

Gary
Private Property

We have SEVERAL Landowners that have expressed their discouragement with snowmobilers TRESPASSING on their property riding outside the trail boundaries they have granted you permission to ride on. To the point that if this doesn’t stop, they will SHUT DOWN the Trail.

This Self-inflicted Situation will result in both the Ignorant (if the shoe fits) Snowmobiler, and also Unfortunately the Educated / Respectful Snowmobiler with yet MORE LOST TRAILS out of an already Fragile System that has taken Decades of Work to develop for the Enjoyment of all. Slap in the Face to All who have contributed to the Establishment and Maintenance of this System.
Do you Like Buying Hyfax and Carbides because you have to ride the PLOWED Road ? You will.

Anyone who owns any type of property regardless of size and type surely understands the Land Owners point. Those who chose to be ignorant to this problem most likely are not, or have never been real property owners.

FYI – The Trail Pass purchase Does Not Permit reckless disregard.

It is unfortunate that trails are continually LOST due to the selfish actions of a small percentage of riders choosing to call themselves snowmobilers and part of our community. Let me be clear, YOU ARE NOT part of Our Community.

The Association of Wisconsin Snowmobile Clubs is working on raising awareness to this issue, which a lot of you will agree has reached crisis level. This problem needs to be owned, and eradicated by ALL involved in Our Community. All Riders, Powersport Dealers, Restaurants, Bars, Hotels, Gas Stations, Chambers of Commerce, Tourist Info Sites, Retailers, need to be part of the STOP THE TRESPASSING Education Campaign. Actively, getting the word out to the threatening nature of this problem. It’s VERY Real … Once you lose the Landowner they ARE GONE FOREVER.

Acknowledging trespassing is a Huge Problem and politely mentioning to customers that Staying On The Trail is appreciated will go farther coming from those Establisments and Tourist Depts. directly involved and will pay dividends over time. More so than any magazine article. Remember, Trespasser’s do not read.
Very well articulated message, Thanks for putting it into perspective. Hope everyone can get the message out because clubs can't do it alone.

hermie

Unfortunately
How about a sting on a section of frequently violated private landowner property? Fine them $500 bucks each and give half to the landowner. That would get people's attention. Unfortunately I think the fine needs to be much higher I think to get people attention now days

racerx

If this trail ,and others, get lost, maybe put up signs on the road trail showing thanx to those riding off trail and trespassing that everyone now has to ride the road as I bet most won't even know why they are on a road, maybe that would educate some that do not see these messages. I feel for all those that have to deal with these issues. I was at a recent club meeting where there were complaints on the certain long section of road and the club should do something about it like get it off the road, groom it or get plows to leave snow and those involved know any of those are not easy or just can't be done in some instances.

woodDB

Trespassers suck! Questions for the (active) club members; once a landowner makes a complaint to the club, could the club (w/ landowners permission) offer to post the section of the trial and include signage that puts the public on notice? If the situation continues, would the land owner be open to letting the club surveil and work with law enforcement to actively police?

There’s obviously no excuse for trespassing. However preaching that “there’s no excuse to wander off trial” and saying “if you want to ride off trail, go out west” sends the wrong message since there are public areas off trial that are open to use and it’s fun to explore these areas.

Another question for the active club members, are clubs working with the state to develop state owned trail networks in Vilas/Oneida that don’t depend on private landowners? This sport brings a huge economic impact to the area and I would think working to protect long term access would be a win/win for the local businesses, communities, etc. I understand this would require a massive effort and the motivation required to accomplish this likely won’t be there until we lose more local access.

whitedust

What I have seen is land owners get pissed regarding trespassing take trail access away trail ends up on bare road. For me the more this happens hello ski wheels. Trespassers are as bad as smash and grab thieves they are criminals of opportunity know they can get away with crimes so do it. Snowmobile Trespassers are the same see the powder and go except they leave evidence of tracks at the scene. They know what they are doing is wrong just don’t care. Only thing I can think of is rope or fence areas off I’ve seen this work. The honor system doesn’t work so if we want to keep trail access more work will be necessary or we’re doomed.

renegade

Trespassers suck! Questions for the (active) club members; once a landowner makes a complaint to the club, could the club (w/ landowners permission) offer to post the section of the trial and include signage that puts the public on notice? If the situation continues, would the land owner be open to letting the club surveil and work with law enforcement to actively police?

There’s obviously no excuse for trespassing. However preaching that “there’s no excuse to wander off trial” and saying “if you want to ride off trail, go out west” sends the wrong message since there are public areas off trial that are open to use and it’s fun to explore these areas.

Another question for the active club members, are clubs working with the state to develop state owned trail networks in Vilas/Oneida that don’t depend on private landowners? This sport brings a huge economic impact to the area and I would think working to protect long term access would be a win/win for the local businesses, communities, etc. I understand this would require a massive effort and the motivation required to accomplish this likely won’t be there until we lose more local access.
We have a landowner who made her own signs stating the trail will be closed if off trail riding continues on her land and puts them up herself every year. There is also a new bill just was introduced to amend an existing law to allow government entities use of power of condemnation for recreational trails. This was not introduced on behalf of any snowmobile club or AWSC, as far as I know, as they have not taken any position on it.
My fear as the publicity of riding off trail increases is how long till anti snowmobiling groups by sleds and go ride of trail just to get these trails closed? Who knows, it may be happening already.

pclark

We have a landowner who made her own signs stating the trail will be closed if off trail riding continues on her land and puts them up herself every year. There is also a new bill just was introduced to amend an existing law to allow government entities use of power of condemnation for recreational trails. This was not introduced on behalf of any snowmobile club or AWSC, as far as I know, as they have not taken any position on it.
My fear as the publicity of riding off trail increases is how long till anti snowmobiling groups by sleds and go ride of trail just to get these trails closed? Who knows, it may be happening already.
Well, if we leave it to the government to get involved in our sport we might as well call it a day. Not that they aren't involved to a certain extent already but we need to keep it local in my mind, counties have proved over time in Wisconsin that they can manage it at their level for the most part. most people in the sport are decent, just some bad eggs as per any sport that try and ruin it for all. As far as anti snowmobiling groups, SFM? (Snow Fall Matters), Snowtifa? It would be hard to tel because they have black snowmobile suits, helmuts, backpacks, etc.

Lets hope not, my message is not intended to stir anything up, just hoping we can deal with this at the club level which I think is entirely possible.

ezra

Mn is working on a new law and fine system . Not sure what good it will do when traffic cams are not allowed as evidence for traffic offenses ie red lights . Poss they will be allowed for trespassing. But I doubt it

Interceptor

I have no sympathy for those who trespass off trail. Unfortunately law enforcement lacks manpower to make a difference.
I would have no problem legislating that those who are caught trespassing off trail forfeit their sleds. If it were passed, and enforcement occurred, there would be more attention paid to this problem…….