Stay On The Trail......

jd

Administrator
Staff member
I was in the McGanns yard yesterday morning at 9:00 am and the Groomer went by heading north so I commented to one of the Yard guys about daytime Grooming and he said they go by every day........

Thanks for the info and I welcome anyone to chime in with what they have experienced, including the shape of our trails.

I will be getting the low down on this for sure. As mentioned, we do hit the heavily traveled trails at least twice in a 2 hour period and the trail from Hancock to Calumet is one of the heaviest traveled because of the closure of the lower trail from $ Bay to Lake Linden. Heading north at 9 am would mean he was done and heading back. Still need to make sure we are not regularly grooming in the morning. Of course with the weather we have right now, day is about as good as night, as temps are holding around 32 all day and night.

-John

D

Deleted member 10829

Most of our busy trails get a double groom every 24 hours. I agree that 9 am is not a good time at all. Must have been a reason. I know we lent one of our groomers to the club Running Bear is with, so that might have had something to do with a schedule anomaly. Or, it was coming from the garage in Mohawk from getting it's weekly maintenance done and was heading south to it's regular grounds. We do go at night and that is the priority. Daytime grooming is suppose to start in the late afternoon. I think what you saw was an anomaly, for some reason. I will be checking with our groomer boss for sure though.

-John

PS- For those that see a groomer heading south from Mohawk this Saturday, it is heading to our trailside bonfire at the Trailside Lodge in Calumet. In addition to the bonfire, we will have free hot dogs/brats, hot and cold drinks and other goodies. Folks will be able to climb up into the PistenBully groomer to get a feel for what it is like to groom our trails. Hope to see and meet lots of you!

Thanks for the reply John. FYI, we were heading south from Copper Harbor and the groomer was heading north. We stopped for breakfast at Slim's next to the White House Motel and saw the groomer heading north shortly after that, so it may have been closer to 10 a.m., not exactly sure. I know your club is on GroomerTracker, do you monitor that? I find it to be a great tool both for riding and finding the best trails and watching when my groomers are out.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the reply John. FYI, we were heading south from Copper Harbor and the groomer was heading north. We stopped for breakfast at Slim's next to the White House Motel and saw the groomer heading north shortly after that, so it may have been closer to 10 a.m., not exactly sure. I know your club is on GroomerTracker, do you monitor that? I find it to be a great tool both for riding and finding the best trails and watching when my groomers are out.

Thanks M! I did have groomertracker on my previous phone. It did not make the backup, but I need to put it on the new one. Been told we are doing day and night grooming on the main arteries. So that app will be helpful in keeping an eye on things and keeping folks honest!

The timing of our grooming is really a sensitive issue with me as many on our board have worked very hard to get things done the best way and if we are slipping back to the old and bad habits...butts are going to get kicked!

How were the trails for you?

-John

1fujifilm

I remember them days of the Dreamland trails groomer drag when it was a old box spring dragged behind the ole Snowmachine...

At least they groomed it.
Granted, I have only attempted to ride this trail 3 times (last season 2018/2019), I always found it mega-mounded with whoop-de-doos and unrideable for me.
Sounds cool but have never ridden it.

Bear

D

Deleted member 10829

Thanks M! I did have groomertracker on my previous phone. It did not make the backup, but I need to put it on the new one. Been told we are doing day and night grooming on the main arteries. So that app will be helpful in keeping an eye on things and keeping folks honest!

The timing of our grooming is really a sensitive issue with me as many on our board have worked very hard to get things done the best way and if we are slipping back to the old and bad habits...butts are going to get kicked!

How were the trails for you?

-John

For the most part John, they were very good, especially the loops. The main artery trail was a bit choppy but that's to be expected as it sees most of the traffic and if they do groom during the day, the moguls come right back. On our way home Wednesday morning the Brockway Mountain trail hadn't been groomed but if you stayed way to the right, it wasn't too bad. I think most people that aren't staying overnight, go up to CH on Brockway Mountain and then back home on the more southern trails, leaving the right side of the BM trail pretty good the next day. Everything else was very good.

As a groomer director, I don't want to be too critical as I know all that goes into trying to keep trails in top shape, especially with volunteer groomers like I have. Keep up the good work! It seems this subject is important to you and we appreciate that!

JJracer

In reply to 1fujifilm. It was called the trail rake. A couple of guy's came to a regional club meeting one night promoting it. One of the region members said why should I bolt one of those contraptions on the back of my snowmobile just so the trails will be tore up after two or three sleds come up behind me. I wonder if they ever sold any.

snobuilder

I saw that invention and appreciated the thought and effort he put into it.
A true unselfish snowmobiler with a brain
In fantasy future snowmobiling perhaps instead of a snow flap we'll have a trail corrective device...

Lol

Last edited:

1fujifilm

You can't fix stupid!

I rode Eagle River, WI last week and was surprised to see a (new to me) Trail 3 re-route off the railroad grade south of town about 6-10 miles.
I thought nothing of it except (we all know the reasons) and rode literally a mile south from there and saw a 8"x12" "road quality reflective sign" telling riders to stay off a mound that had a singular snowmo track right over the top of it.

Bear