Storm Central: Friday 1-12-24

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Starting with Light Snows this morning. Most all of the area schools are closed due to the current road conditions.

Screenshot (82).png

IOWASLEDDER

Maybe 3-4 inches overnight of powder. Winds about 20-25mph right now out of the east. Looking outside not much traffic on interstate 380. Cedar Rapids/Iowa City, Iowa area

mezz

The calm before the storm, 1/4" this morning. Waiting for the _hit to hit the fan.....

bobt

Friday 1-12-2024 Snow Watch

Greetings and welcome!
2:45am- Wow.. just like the good old days.. updating in the wee hours!!
The first little bit of the storm has made its way as far north as Madison. It isn’t expected to get here until about 9am.
The scary forecasts about the storm have not backed off any. Let’s start with the NWS..
Friday
Snow, mainly after 9am. The snow could be heavy at times. Areas of blowing snow after 4pm. High near 28. Northeast wind 7 to 12 mph increasing to 16 to 21 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 37 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 5 to 9 inches possible.
Friday Night
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Patchy blowing snow. Low around 17. Blustery, with a north wind 20 to 22 mph, with gusts as high as 38 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.
Saturday
Snow likely, mainly before 10am. Patchy blowing snow. Cloudy, with a high near 19. Blustery, with a northwest wind 18 to 23 mph, with gusts as high as 37 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.
Wow. 8-14″.

…WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 9 AM FRIDAY TO NOON
CST SATURDAY…
* WHAT…Heavy snow expected. Total snow accumulations between 8 and
12 inches expected. Winds could gust up to 40 mph and create
significant blowing and drifting snow.
* WHERE…Langlade, Florence, Forest, Northern Marinette County,
Northern Oconto County, Southern Marinette County, and Southern
Oconto County Counties.
* WHEN…From 9 AM Friday to noon CST Saturday.
* IMPACTS…Travel could be very difficult to impossible. Widespread
blowing snow could significantly reduce visibility, and result in
near-blizzard conditions Friday night. The hazardous conditions
will impact the Friday evening commute. Gusty winds could bring
down tree branches, and cause power outages.
Looking at the models-
The European has us for about 7-8″. I can’t show that one because of copyright stuff.
This is the RAP, one of the short term models showing us on the line between 6-8″ and 8-10″.

This is the NAM model showing us getting 6-8″.

The GFS model is the outlier showing us only getting 1-2″

The TV weather guys pointed out that the winds would be very favorable for lake effect enhancement. If it works out we could see a couple of more inches than the models are showing.
The NWS also pointed out that the beginning of the storm would be fairly dense snow, but as the storm progresses it will get colder and fluffier snow. That fluffier snow would tend to blow around more. Between that and the high winds they have the ‘Near blizzard conditions’ wording in their warning.
We will know a lot more as the day progresses. I will keep you up to date.
Have a good Friday and thank you for visiting!
RJB.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Snowing like crazy in the Fox Cities. We had a break earlier, but Mother Nature is putting on a show now. I'm in the center of the pic between Appleton & Oshkosh.
Screenshot (83).png
And what it looks like on the ground.
Stormy.jpg

timo

Finally a storm that looks to be living up to its hype. started at 5am and its noon and i got 6-7 inches. Not supposed to stop till midnight.
I would think we'll have well over a foot in Washington Co.

rph130

6"+heart attack snow at noon in Park Ridge Il. Ohare airport had full ground stop this morning. 3-6 additional predicted for this afternoon/evening.

mezz

Oddly enough, here in the Keweenaw (Houghton County) the temp actually rose by 3 degrees, now at +31 with very light sporadic snows with light wind. Things that make you go hmmmm......

m8man

I did put my plow on last night, usually i put it on in the middle of the storm, so hopefully just a smart move on my part.
it's time, to bring it on, so let's have it........

I hope anyone that has to travel is safe, and that we can finally get some snow to play in.

mezz

Mezz hearing anything about lake effect totals up there?
Last I saw was a hmmm hoping for the best. 🤷‍♂️
As of this posting (3:15 pm} the snow here has not been anything more than the occasional light sporadic shower with some gusts of wind on occasion. I am not sure what to make of the system snow right now. Looking at the current radar, it appears as though the Keweenaw has a bubble over it as the system snow stops at Southern Houghton County. As far as the LES is concerned, it will depend on the turn around of temperature & of course the wind direction. In light of the fact the system is acting the way it is right now, it very well could play into the wind direction reducing the potential LES snows. Snow totals earlier were bouncing between 12-16" but that was taking into account system snow as well. We will have to see what happens & when. Right now not looking as much as was expected.

mezz

4:00 p.m. Like a light switch had been flipped as far as more consistant snows. Still not real heavy, but steady, not sure whats with the NWS radar, it is now showing the system snows gradually creeping into the Keweenaw, for how long & how much will remain to be seen.