Studding a 1 Ply XP Track

I think I am going with the Woody's Grand Master with a larger 1.200" head, but what would be a better option for backers...square or round? Alum or plastic?

Thanks

skidooa

IN MY EXPERIENCE (and very long story short), round backers allow studs to pull out much easier.

I converted to square backers and my issues disappeared. I've been using square backers since...

I'm chiming in only because nobody else has here, but I've never heard anyone say they prefer round backers over square.

junior

Actually they come with round backers. They are also oversized. If I remember corectly, the square won't work

skidooa

Yes, the Grand Master studs have a larger head diameter, it is 1.200" to create a larger surface area against the lighter and thinner single ply tracks.
No, the studs do not just come with round backers, they don't even come with square backers. You must purchase the backers separately. Also it says specifically right on the website that round backers will not work and you can only use woody's Grand Digger square support plates and/or the Woody's Grand Digger Double Backer with the 2.52 pitch tracks. woody's support plates.jpg

ezra

IMHO u are best off using double backer with a single ply. far less of a chance to pull 2 out than 1

vmax1994

I also agree that double backers are the way to go. Never had a pull out in three years on my 800etec. Eventually the track developed a significant crack running down the center before I replaced it...but the studs didn't pull through. The added traction of the studs might have led to the eventual track failure though.

danzo

I just studded my 1200TNT using the skidoo Phantoms. The Grand Masters are the exact same thing. They have larger heads for the single ply tracks. Everything turned out great.

- - - Updated - - -

Check out what skidoo offers. I bought mine from skidoo and the kit came with the backers and the nuts. Same price as buying everything from a Woodys dealer.

Thanks for the replies...the Ski Doo Phantoms look like they come with round backers(?).

t335_872ce8e79908c0d7b2e654283a9b38fa.jpg

doofan1

Backers

I have a 2010 600 etec renegade with about 4500 miles on the skidoo phantom (Woodys) studs with round backers. Not a single pull out so far

jmvette427

fastrac on my daughters mxz tnt 2 seasons, round yellow plastic backers, no loose or pullouts , not agressive rider more for safety . fastrac ok in my book . last 3 sleds, 2 yammis and skidoo

bladeguy

I have always used fast trac studs with round backers. Never bend, break or pull through. They make a special one for single ply - the SP. I have it on my 1.5" track and absolutely zero issues after 4000 miles. It is a winner! ...and I am an aggressive rider.