Summer 2015 Fish Pics

skiroule

I know there are a bunch of people out there that fish and I figured I start up a photo thread see what people are catching. Let’s see what you are getting this summer.

I happen to be fishing in what is primarily Walleye country this summer but don’t get the idea that I’m a “Walleye snob”. I’ll fish for anything that can make its way to the table: Walleyes, Northerns, Bass, Bluegills, Sunnies, Crappies, Catfish. Heck, I’ve even grilled Sheephead – actually pretty good (but not a good looking fish).

Yes, it’s fun to catch one like this big girl (who was returned to produce more little offspring) but a good day of fishing for me is coming in with some eaters.

Kels%20Fish_zpsh3klwq3o.jpg

DSC_0198_zpsl2nfx722.jpg

D

Deleted member 10829

Boy do they look good! Nothing like fresh walleye. Love the catch and release for the big one! :)

skiroule

Very nice! Perfect size........

Yep, I agree. We're very happy to pull in some 15's - 17's for a dinner.

Retirement has been a very busy thing - trying to strike a balance between getting some remodeling done and getting out to fish now and then. Did get out the other day and caught some nice eating size Walleyes plus a couple of bigger ones we released. My wife lost what I would guess to be about a 25" Walleye at the boat when I bonked it on the head with the net and knocked it off her hook trying to land it. Then I got bonked on the head with the net.

skiroule

I've got to get back on the water. Good looking catch!

Yes you do! I'm expecting big things out of you this summer. Walleyes are still holding up well and starting to get some decent Perch (almost my favorite table fish)

By the way, I see a lot of license plates from your nearby states, Illinois and Ohio. May want to give it some thought some year.

Last outing:
DSC_0347_zpsisvetwqy.jpg

Boy that sure looks like Kabetogama/Voyageurs Nat'l Park. Nice pic's!

I think that's a great comparison. I've only ridden through that area on snowmobile but I am thinking it looks very similar to Lake of the Woods in the summer. Like I tell some of my fishing friends, catching fish is only part of the experience.

DSC_0340_zpsgmzcudu4.jpg

DSC_0339_zpswkefo3h9.jpg

skiroule

Bigger Fish - Smaller Fish

Had a couple of friends up this weekend for a little fishing.

The cool thing about fishing is that sometimes you get one like this:
DSC00038_zpsplar3ktm.jpg

Or like this:
DSC00029_zpsslxebsdk.jpg

and just maybe one like this:
Rocky (the Rock Bass) was a very ambitious little fish. Even though the minnow was on a 3” straight shank hook with a No. 6 spinner and a 1.5 oz bottom bouncer he still attacked it. The whole rig probably weighed more than he did.

All three were photographed and released. Yes, even Rocky
DSC00034_zpsgtziek8u.jpg

garyl62

Those are some nice looking fish there Kelly. I think I'd be a little more excited about the Walleye though...

skiroule

I don't know Gary, Rocky was pretty scrappy.

He would have been no match for this guy that I hooked last evening though. I'd like to claim some sort of fishing skill but this was just dumb luck. We were trolling for Walleyes as usual and he must have been just laying on the bottom waiting for some unfortunate fish to swim by and grabbed my bait in a reaction strike. He was pretty much dead weight until I got him near the boat then all heck broke loose.

Many have caught bigger fish but this 39" was a personal best for Northern Pike.

By the way, I know a lot of you are out there fishing. You must have some pics. I'd love to see em'.

Good looking Northern, the guy, not so much.

IMG_0958_zpsov9aokez.jpg

skiroule

Thanks!

You're not kidding about the wind! It was really howling the end of July into early August. Some guys don't seem to mind it but personally I think it makes for tougher fishing from the perspective of boat control and just general comfort.

We do fish Sabaskong Bay some. We've had pretty good fishing around Horseshoe Island and also on the reefs southwest of Rabbit Island. Most of the time we fish a little further west. We fish the islands and small channels off the Sunset Channel a lot, especially early in the year or if the wind is up. Around mid-summer we like to start fishing down towards Bigsby and Dawson Islands when we don't have to pound our way out there into a strong wind.

Since you fish Sabaskong you might know about Duck Bay Lodge on Hay Island. We went out there for dinner last week (if they are not completely booked, they will take additional people for dinner). Very cool place and really nice owners. Seems like they have a lot of lodging guests that have been coming there for at least 10 - 15 years.

ss440

We rented a cabin on the penninsula west of duck bay close to rabbit point. Seems like you know your way around pretty good next summer I'll have to get some tips from you. We only caught 5 walleyes over 20" in a week, lots of eaters. Had lots of trophy Muskies following figure 8's. The wind storm really kicked our butts.

skiroule

Yeah, just shoot me an PM before you come up next year. With a few thousand nameless islands and reefs it's tough to pinpoint exact locations but I can at least tell you the areas we've been fishing, how we're fishing, and how we've been doing - at least for Walleyes. I'm not much help in the Muskie department though.

We have gotten to know a lot of the area over the last couple of years. Plus, we have a cousin that has had a place up there since the 60's and he has been a very good source of information and advice.

Actually, i think you guys did pretty good considering the weather conditions. It would have been something to hook one of those Muskies. We don't really fish for them but there's always a chance that one of us will get into one eventually. I know two guys that have brought in 50"+ Muskies (a 54 and a 52) on Walleye rigs this summer, one on a jig with a minnow and the other with a crawler on a harness. You just never know.

Last edited:

skiroule

End of the Boat Fishing Season?

Not sure if today was the last boat outing but it could be. Forecast for tomorrow is for wind speed of around 30 and highs in the low 40’s so it was an easy call to take some time to fish today - mid-70’s and almost no wind. Too nice to not fish and it made for a beautiful fall lake experience.

DSC00162_zpslnvfttun.jpg

DSC00169_zpsioho8w8x.jpg

The good fishing was a plus. Every now and then you hit a spot where the Walleyes are just loaded in. This was the case today. No monsters but a lot of nice fish. This one gave my wife a good run for her money.

DSC00155_zpsgb0lz1kp.jpg

Not often that I match her but I think I did with this one..

DSC00159_zpslns4ohp5.jpg

Good season, start to finish.

mjkaliszak

Not mine but my work budds came up with these this year.
2 hogs from the West basin L Erie, 11#'s I believe.
A1 IMG_0427.jpg
This next 1 is unusual for around here, Lake Sherman, 18" crappie , pic not so good but I have been fishing for " slabs " down in Alabama and I have never caught 1 that big down there....
A120150522_002552.jpg

Just had to share.... once your an older fisherman... you always smell that way !!!! LOL
You have to be what you are in this world.

mjkaliszak

And since I'm not done dreaming about eating eye's and perch.... Here is a pic I posted about 4-5 years ago, took my nephews out on Lake Erie. Pa / NY state line, I had to down load " Dirty Birds " on my phone just to keep my nephews happy ( LOL ) !
UMG1.jpg

skiroule

Major Fish!!

I know more than one guy that has headed to Erie for some monster Walleyes. Seems like the lake has become a good destination for anglers looking for big fish.

Crappies are hot now and should be out fishing for them but the weather has been pretty ugly (maybe we're becoming fair weather fishermen). Talked to some guys that have been pulling in a lot in the 14" range but haven't heard of anybody getting something like that 18". Have to love the Crappie aggressive nature - had one hit so hard this summer it almost took the rod out of my hands.

Thanks Modman...looking back at a few of our photos, only a few of which have been posted here, it starts to sink in just how good the season was. With the record high lake levels last year it's hard to compare but this year was definitely better. Also, we are still learning this part of the lake and probably will continue to do so for many years but that is part of the fun.