Summer Vintage Projects 2013

skiroule

I know some of you out there have one that you’re planning on getting done before the snow flies. It’s still a little early for me but I’m posting this in hopes that it will make me accountable for progress (or lack thereof) on this sled before next winter.

Lots of work to be done – I’m no expert but the ski alignment looks a tad off. According to the specs the skis should have a slight toe-out.

Will try to get an extra set of skis over to my sand blasting guy this month but that may be it for the next few weeks. Have to make a trip north to work on my mother’s place, granddaughter will be in town playing in a hockey tournament, fishing a tournament with my wife (don’t be too impressed, we’re not good), and our fishing trip to the U.P. - So much for June.

Hope to pull the engine and start pulling some other stuff the week of July 4[SUP]th[/SUP]. Might as well wait until it’s hot and muggy.

I’ll try to post a photo every few weeks if anything significant changes (emphasis on “weeks”).

Even if you’ve posted them already, re-post them here so we can see what you’re up to.

TX_440_2_05282013_zpsf9d69a9b.jpg

TX_440_1_05282013_zpsc9feff41.jpg

jr37

Kelly, I'm sure you will have that looking as good as new before winter. You will have to start showing them. Good luck!

skiroule

Thanks JR, although it would probably be more accurate to say "You will have to start showing up." Funny how easy it is to lose momentum when the weather turns nice. There will definitely be time to go to the refrigerator for a refreshment between my updates.

I think I'll "git er done" but it will probably be like the 340. Come October I'll have a notebook full of things that need to be done and deadline dates to maintain schedule.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 10829

Lots of work to be done – I’m no expert but the ski alignment looks a tad off. According to the specs the skis should have a slight toe-out.

skiroule,

I don't know, the ski's look fine to me! (When I cross my eyes) :) That line cracked me up. Good luck on the project and I expect it to look as good as the one next to it. Have a great summer!

T

Team Elkhorn

I had plans to go through my vintage sled this spring before it got too warm outside. I was gonna pull the heads to have a look see. I also had plans to check or replace all the bearings, etc. But I needed to "temporarily" make room in the garage, so I "temporarily" moved it out to the shed. Out of sight, out of mind. I probably won't look at it again until late fall.:eek:

renten

I'm just getting started with the assembly of the skid on my '78 TXL but my pics are lacking detail. Any help from fellow vintage addicts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

skiroule

Renten,

i don't have any shots of the restored 340 suspension but as luck would have it, I just pulled the skid out of my 440 this week. I'm pretty pretty sure it is not quite the same as yours (metal vs rubber cleats) but I would think the basic suspension setup is close.

Take a look at these and if it looks similar, I can take more angles and closeups if you need them. If you are interested in specific assemblies, I need to start tearing this one down ASAP and get the small stuff into the sandblaster chamber at work before they liquidate me or the sandblaster (it's a push as to which it would be). I can take some shots of partially disassembled stuff it they would be useful

Just PM me an email and I can send you any number of shots.

Susp_3_zps0c2021b5.jpg

Susp_2_zps160e6aa7.jpg

D

Deleted member 10829

Looks like an excellent job so far! Looking very good. :)

skiroule

Nice! Being somewhat familiar with the quality of your work, I can't say I'm surprised. This will be one sharp vintage sled.

Keep the pics coming as the project progresses. It provides valuable incentive for some of us.

P.S. I'm more than a little curious about that coupe in the background.

renten

Nice! Being somewhat familiar with the quality of your work, I can't say I'm surprised. This will be one sharp vintage sled.

Keep the pics coming as the project progresses. It provides valuable incentive for some of us.

P.S. I'm more than a little curious about that coupe in the background.

Thanks! The car in primer in the background is a '52 Jaguar XK 120 Fixedhead Coupe. The car was a rusted piece of junk when I started. Most of the sheet metal needed to be replaced from about mid-way down and most had to be made from scratch. More pics soon to come.

skiroule

A Vote for Vintage Sleds

Between the cold wet weather and the warm humid weather I hadn't got around to running the treated gas through most of my machines. Weather was right so I finally fired up three of them today (what better than smelling some 2-stroke sled smoke on the 4th of July). Only one started on the first pull. Yep, the 79 TX. It's amazing, 34 years old and it starts on the first pull.

Got the suspension torn down on the 79 440 and most of it sandblasted. Hope to finish the blasting tomorrow on my lunch break. Then it's time to start ordering some parts (shocks, bearings, etc.). Pretty fun to start getting packages of parts again.

renten, I can't believe the difference between the TX-L suspension and the TX. I guess they really upped the anti when they went to the rubber track.

jr37

skiroule, sounds like you are having a successful summer on the restoration. Thanks for the updates. I had to put mine away for a while. Hopefully I can dig back into it by fall.

Yesterday I was trimming around the yard with the weed eater. I run Klotz oil in my small engines. So, I also got to smell the 2-strokes on the 4th. Sure wish my wife had some Klotz exhaust perfume.:p

skiroule

Sure wish my wife had some Klotz exhaust perfume.:p

I like the concept. Might be a lot of guys wearing their wife’s perfume though.

It’s definitely harder to find restoration time in the summer. Our summers are not that long and there are a lot of other things to do and get done. If I chip away at it, hopefully I’ll avoid the fire drill I had with the 340 last fall.

Scary thing is, I’m already thinking ahead to another project. Maybe another TX but I’ve suddenly developed a keen interest in picking up a 74/75 Johnson JX (preferably a 650). When these came out it was a major departure for Johnson/Evinrude and I loved orange and black on the JX.

There’s a party not too far from either one of us that is selling two 650s plus three Skimmers in package deal. If I thought picking up five more vintage sleds had any chance of flying at home I’d make an offer. Also a really nice 440 in lower MI. Lots of good vintage sleds in lower MI. Almost makes me wish I lived there….almost.

Bradzoo

I like the concept. Might be a lot of guys wearing their wife’s perfume though.

It’s definitely harder to find restoration time in the summer. Our summers are not that long and there are a lot of other things to do and get done. If I chip away at it, hopefully I’ll avoid the fire drill I had with the 340 last fall.

Scary thing is, I’m already thinking ahead to another project. Maybe another TX but I’ve suddenly developed a keen interest in picking up a 74/75 Johnson JX (preferably a 650). When these came out it was a major departure for Johnson/Evinrude and I loved orange and black on the JX.

There’s a party not too far from either one of us that is selling two 650s plus three Skimmers in package deal. If I thought picking up five more vintage sleds had any chance of flying at home I’d make an offer. Also a really nice 440 in lower MI. Lots of good vintage sleds in lower MI. Almost makes me wish I lived there….almost.

Its a nice place to visit but you wouldn't want to live here,HAHHAA If you ake a trip down let me know, between work and honeydo projects I haven't even started yet

Bradzoooooooooooooooooooooo

Bradzooooooooooo

skiroule

Its a nice place to visit but you wouldn't want to live here,HAHHAA If you ake a trip down let me know, between work and honeydo projects I haven't even started yet

Bradzoooooooooooooooooooooo

Bradzooooooooooo

If I found a good enough deal, it might be worth the trip.

You might already know this but when you get back to your project, I recommend Mfg Supply out of Wisconsin (Medford I think) as a good source of some of the more generic TX parts. My recent order list included ski shocks, rear suspension shock, hyfax, wear bars, headlight, and rear idler wheels - one of mine looked like it had been attacked by a very angry and somewhat misguided beaver. Their prices are good, service is excellent, and shipping is cheap.

I see that the Outlaw Gas Drags (Princeton, MN) are giving away a Polaris TX and an Arctic Cat Lynx the this year. Paid attendance is your ticket. Just might have to make a run up there.

Bradzoo

If I found a good enough deal, it might be worth the trip.

You might already know this but when you get back to your project, I recommend Mfg Supply out of Wisconsin (Medford I think) as a good source of some of the more generic TX parts. My recent order list included ski shocks, rear suspension shock, hyfax, wear bars, headlight, and rear idler wheels - one of mine looked like it had been attacked by a very angry and somewhat misguided beaver. Their prices are good, service is excellent, and shipping is cheap.

I see that the Outlaw Gas Drags (Princeton, MN) are giving away a Polaris TX and an Arctic Cat Lynx the this year. Paid attendance is your ticket. Just might have to make a run up there.

Any idea's where I can find a gas tank for a 79 TX, I found everything except that, my 440 had something dropped on it before I got it, needless to say its smashed, the only thing I've been able to find are the aluminum racing tanks cool but small and pricey

Bradzooooo

skiroule

You might have to arm-wrestle me for it :). I’m always on the lookout for tanks. That plastic is pretty thin. Actually mine aren’t too bad. One is a little soft in the corners but if I don’t abuse it by parking my chubbiness on it, I think it will last quite a while longer.

I’ll check with the guy that I do business with on occasion, although if he has anything he usually posts it. There is a guy in Boise, ID that posts a lot of Polaris stuff on Vintage Sleds and seems to focus on TXs, TXLs, and Centurions. He may have something. His name is Bruce and his Phone # is 208-353-9682. When you get serious about buying, give him a call. I’ve never dealt with him so I can’t vouch for his reputation but the VS sellers I bought from are pretty stand-up guys. If I do make it up to Princeton I’ll also do some scouting.

If you do find one, it will most likely be faded. I think there are some alternative solutions for restoration (soda blasting, etc.) and while I’m not a big fan of painted plastic, I will probably paint one of mine since it will be a rider and not for show. A guy in ND sells paint in vintage Polaris colors and I’ve been very happy with what I’ve purchased from him.

Bradzoo

You might have to arm-wrestle me for it :). I’m always on the lookout for tanks. That plastic is pretty thin. Actually mine aren’t too bad. One is a little soft in the corners but if I don’t abuse it by parking my chubbiness on it, I think it will last quite a while longer.

I’ll check with the guy that I do business with on occasion, although if he has anything he usually posts it. There is a guy in Boise, ID that posts a lot of Polaris stuff on Vintage Sleds and seems to focus on TXs, TXLs, and Centurions. He may have something. His name is Bruce and his Phone # is 208-353-9682. When you get serious about buying, give him a call. I’ve never dealt with him so I can’t vouch for his reputation but the VS sellers I bought from are pretty stand-up guys. If I do make it up to Princeton I’ll also do some scouting.

If you do find one, it will most likely be faded. I think there are some alternative solutions for restoration (soda blasting, etc.) and while I’m not a big fan of painted plastic, I will probably paint one of mine since it will be a rider and not for show. A guy in ND sells paint in vintage Polaris colors and I’ve been very happy with what I’ve purchased from him.

Thanks for the info, I'll probably paint the tank on the 340 it seems pretty solid but faded to almost gray, guess its time for me to get started on them.

Bradzoo

mrsrunningbear

Not sure their vintage, but their close! We are now the proud owners of 2 89 Indy 500's, one we are the original owners and the other squat had and we bought from him. We can't wait to have the pair to ride!! Both run good, they just need some TLC. We need to find a set of the original blue decals for one, back in the day our daughter rode it and she wanted pink and purple pin striping lol we'd like to get it back to original. We also need a windshield a tree fell on one last year and broke it

Indys.jpg