Summer Vintage Projects 2013

skiroule

Working out the Bugs

Now that I've had a chance to actually ride the summer project, a few bugs have been discovered that needed attention. Mostly minor stuff (burned out tail lights, etc.).

Had a minor battle with the speedometer which was working and quit. Turned out there were two problems: the right angle drive on the driveshaft locked up and sheared off the driveshaft insert and then the cable proved to be intermittently functional. Replaced these and I have speed again.

The speedometer work prompted me to check with my NOS parts source to see if he had any speedos or tachs. He only had the speedo but said he’d cut me a deal on a metric speedo if I just wanted to use the bezel to spiff up my tach.

This was my plan until I got both speedometers. I’m not sure how many metric TX speedometers there are out there but it’s pretty cool and I can’t see tearing it down just for the bezel. I might even put it on the 440 just so I can hit 100 on the straight stretches.

Metric_Speedo_zps9d9c2c10.jpg

Bradzoo

Kelly if that engine that Adam built is as strong as you say it is you can probably leave the MPH speedo in and still hit 100 those gauges look sweet though.

Bradzooo

Bradzoo

Things have been progressing at a dead snails pace here this is a pic from about a month ago or so its so close but trying to find the time to finish it is getting real tough
CAM00401.jpg

Bradzoo

polaris600ho

Those sleds are absolutely beautiful skiroule!! Great job to everyone who helped along the way as well. I would love to stumble on a project like that. Job well done

skiroule

Thanks polaris600ho! Much appreciated and you are right on about the help. No question, it made the difference for me.

From the comments and the number of visits to the vintage section in general, it seems that there is a lot of interest in the old iron, which is great!

I would love to think about starting another project soon but there are a lot of things that have been put off in the interest of finishing this one that need attention. I can say that at least every couple of days I see one or more candidates for sale. Just in the last week I had to fight off the urge to make an offer on a Yamaha GPX 338 and a couple of Skiroule 440’s (that really hurt).

I don’t know about a 100 Brad, but from what I seen so far, it will be up in the adrenaline area. By the way, the Vegas odds makers are still saying there is a chance that I’ll see you and that gleaming 340 at the Copper Harbor Iron Man vintage ride in Feb.

skiroule

The Final Test

Was lucky enough to get up to Lac La Belle earlier this week. Got in some good late model riding and hit the trail every morning on the vintage ride. Never saw another track early in the morning unless you count the telemarker tracks.

DSCN2178_zps9d8d043d.jpg

Logged about 40 miles on the TX with no real issues – Will have to make a minor adjustment here and there but that’s about it. Definitely a blast to ride on those trail conditions, would have liked to have done more but riding solo it would have been a long walk back at 7 below. Got to stretch the legs a little but had to be mindful that it is still in the break-in phase.

With apologies for some sloppy editing, this little 97 second video pretty much captures the experience. As always, play it at 720p HD for best viewing.

D

Deleted member 10829

Sweet skiroule! Love the sound of the TX engine. What a winter wonderland up there. :)

How do you like the Assault so far?

Bradzoo

Hand warmers would problably been nice too!!, That thing looks great, odds are going down in Vegas on me getting the 340 ready for Feb. on a brighter note I'm going to look at those sleds next Sat. so I will be letting you know on the SSX if I think its worth it or not. Even when I have the time to work on the 340 I don't been riding for the past 3 days around the house since we have snow and supposed to get between 8-12 more on sunday. that RMK Assault sure is fun can't wait to get it in some real deep snow, I know bustin 2-3 foot drifts doesn't even slow it down. Kelly got me a GoPro for Christmas so I been learning how to use it and ordered a couple different mounts for it. Should be signing the papers for the cabin in a couple weeks, since the 1st of Nov. it seems like I been going non-stop sure would like to slow down and enjoy the rest of winter.

Bradzooooo

skiroule

The winter scene was spectacular and made for beautiful trail riding. This trip with the 440 was kind of special. I had no hope of being able to buy one of these sleds when they came out in the winter of 78/79 and 35 years later it’s pretty cool to have one to ride.

You have to love the sound of that engine – develops that nice, mellow resonance at higher rpms. At half throttle it cruises effortlessly - could have easily made Copper Harbor in an hour. And they do like the sub-zero temps.

Very pleased with the Assault - did almost a perfect 50/50 mix of on/off-trail. Comfortable ride on the trail and I’d have no problem pounding the trails all day with it. I had it set up narrow but will try the wider stance in northern MN, just to see the difference. It got a pretty good workout riding backcountry with Troy & Zach from the Lodge. I sucked but the sled worked well. It had no problems handling the current snow conditions.

Brad, knowing everything you have going on this year I’ll give you a pass. Next year? Maybe…. Definitely curious about the SSX though.