Summer Vintage Projects 2014

skiroule

Based on the project question thread, I think we’ve reached critical mass for the potential sled projects this summer so it’s time to post a thread. By my count, these projects could already include a Scorpion, Johnson, John Deere, and Gilson. All of these companies have long since left the sledding scene (or left altogether) but are definitely not forgotten.

I’m getting closer to a project. Still not quite there but all this talk has got me excited about getting at something this summer and I’m working on it.

Now, let’s see some pics of what you have going.

renten

Hi Kelly, I've started on my '78 TXL again and hope to finish it in the next few weeks. Unfortunately I might be forced to sell it upon it's completion. I will keep the '78 TX and the '75 Ski Doo TNT. I am planning on purchasing a 2015 Ski Doo Renegade Adrenalin 900 Ace so I will part with the TXL and one of my 2010 Renegades to make it happen and make room. Soon I will post some updated pics. The sled is being restored from the ground like your TX and nothing is being over looked. It makes me sick to have to sell it but at least I will still have the TX to go with my new Polaris FXR jacket. What price range should I be asking? Thanks, Jeff

skiroule

Hey Jeff, glad to hear you're back in the game. Yes, I can appreciate how tough it will be to sell the TXL when you've poured so much time and effort into the project. I'm sure that at some point I'll be in your situation. I can't keep collecting these things like butterflies.

Price is always a tough call. You have a pretty special sled. The fact that it's a 78 makes it worth more right out of the gate and it will be a mint restoration. Of course you have to find a buyer but I think it really is in $3000 - $3500 territory (and probably closer to the higher number). There must be buyers out there though because I see these high buck sleds moving on Vintage Sleds all the time. A party just posted a 79 TX-C for $3500. Nice sled and pretty rare so I wouldn't be surprised if he gets it.

As you said, your consolation will be that you still have the 78 TX, which is still quite the prize. Good luck and I look forward to the photos.

Last edited:

skiroule

Deere Hunting

Looks like I might have a summer project after all (and probably the summer after)

You have to love the cat tracks on the hood.

John_Deere_Cyclone_zpsb9319b12.jpg

renten

Hi Kelly thanks for the quick reply. I saw the TXC and although a very nice sled, I would in no way put it on par with your 440 restoration. Looks like sound but unrestored mechanicals with restored cosmetics. I probably have $2500-$3000 just in purchase of sled, parts, powdercoat, and paint materials. I try not to think of my labor because it would make me cry. At $3500 it would not do much to help with the purchase of the 900 Ace Renegade so I would probably just keep it and sell the other two which are both great looking trail sleds. Talk soon, Jeff

jr37

No pictures to share. I tore the rear suspension and drive out of the Sidewinder and replaced the bearings. The suspension is broke, so I need to get that welded up yet. I tore the suspension completely apart and will sandbast it and paint it before I put it back in. Ran into a snag, I can't seem to find idler wheels, but I will somewhere. Picked up the front springs and spindles that I needed, just need skis now. Won't get much done the rest of this week, so hopefully next week I'll get the welding done so I can keep progressing.

skiroule

Lots of progress JR. No question you'll be riding that Scorp this wiinter.

Was having some second thoughts about my latest addition I think it will be OK in the end. I have to say it really seems to run good. One pull and she fires right up. Don’t’ see any need to mess with the engine internals at all.

DSC_0152_zpsd5028d06.jpg

DSC_0158_zpsc0d5a348.jpg

DSC_0156_zpsca6b720b.jpg

Still feeling a little like a fish out of water though. The John Deere is a way different animal than the TXs but unless I want to continue to be a one trick pony I better buck up and dive in.

skiroule

Something about the chassis just didn’t seem right. I took all kinds of measurements last night and nothing added up. Bugged me all day so when I got home I pulled the snowflap off and the truth was revealed. One rail is bent up about ¾” on the idler end of the rails. Basically I have one tipped up rail and one non-tipped up rail.

DSC_0160_zps7af796a5.jpg

The rest of my spring is going to be just stupid busy so I probably won't get back to it until at least early June but I'm glad I now know what I'm dealing with.

jr37

Took my suspension parts to a shop today, owned by a fellow Vintage sled guy I've known for a long time. He has a Cyclone that looks just like yours, Kelly. Should be about a week before I get my parts back, so not much is going to happen before then.

Kelly, I have an Operators Manual for about a '78 or '79 Liquifier, if your interested. I know it's not the same sled, but maybe some same things you could use?

skiroule

Hardwater, how can you let that get away? Looks like a dual scoop, ram-air induction setup to me. Somebody will snap it up.

Jon, I'll get back to you on the manual. Seems like something I could use. The Cyclones are cool. I feel pretty fortunate to get my hands on one that can be restored. Found this one just a few miles out of Spooner.

Wisconsin must have been big Deere country back in the 70s.

renten

Hi Kelly, Let me know if you would like some help with the chassis. I can repair the worst alloy or steel damage. I have spent 25 years restoring vintage race chassis. If you delivered me a stripped chassis, I could transform it into a tunnel that was stronger and better than when it was manufactured. Jeff

skiroule

Thanks Jeff. Always good to have a skilled craftsman on the list of resources. The quality of your work speaks for itself. I wouldn’t even ask for references.

Most of the Cyclone tunnel is quite good but as the photo shows, the back has been gnawed up some. Damage aside, it would be nice to do something different with the back of the tunnel for a couple of reasons:

The Cyclone track actually extends slightly beyond the tunnel. This creates an issue for the stock snow flap. For a modern, rigid, angled snow flap this isn’t a problem but the old soft, droopy (us older guys hate that word) vintage snow flap actually rides on the track and these sleds were notorious for sucking the flap up into the tunnel. Deere addressed this problem by adding a somewhat odd looking bar across the back. Effective, but not very pleasing to the eye.

The other issue is the bumper. The original design wasn’t very good, as evidenced by the fact that it is missing. I would like to change it over to use a more standard horizontal bumper.

If time and money were no object, I’d start the footrest angle further forward, trim and extend the tunnel slightly (similar to the 90’s Cats), and add a simple horizontal bar bumper. I think this would look good and solve these issues.

Something to think about but as of now, just wishful thinking.

jr37

After a long lull, I did make a little progress today. Got my rear suspension parts sandblasted and started to paint. Hopefully by Monday night I will have everything painted up and ready to re-assemble.

I am losing hope on being ready for next season. I was thinking of having the engine freshened up as long as I'm at it, but we are pretty slow at work now, so no extra income is handy for that. Maybe I'll just do everything else, and take a chance on the engine holding up. The good thing about being slow at work is that I should get a little extra time to work on the rest of the sled.

skiroule

I might be in the same boat. At some point I’ll have to decide if I want to just replace the skid and make it a rider for this year or start a full tear-down and run the risk of not finishing it this year.

It seems like a good parts source is crucial to these projects and I stumbled across a good one over in the O’Claire area. Really nice guy and not only does he have a lot of parts but he has several really cool sleds in his collection. He had my parts all ready to go when I got there and I still spend over 3 hours looking at all his stuff. I’ll definitely be going back later this summer.

I did pick up a replacement skid , a really decent hood, and a tach. It’s a start.

By the way, heading west out of Wausau last weekend, I saw a sign that said “Poniatowski”. Now I know where it is.

Hood_Skid_zps899afa15.jpg

jr37

Kelly, you can actually find Poniatowski on a globe. There is a geograghical marker just out of "town" that marks where the 45th Parallel North intersects with the 90th Meridian West.

I got my rear suspension loose fit back in the sled this morning. I am making slow progress, but still making progress.

There is a 1968 Scorpion on an auction this next week, not to far from here. I would like to try to buy it, but it would really need to be a good deal and not a piece of junk.

Last edited:

skiroule

Like so many of you out there, this has been onebusy summer for me. Cyclone project activity has been pretty much limited to parts acquisition. Made a dash over to Eau Claire to pick up some Cyclone parts – got a nicedual carb setup off a Liquifire. Should produce a few more horseys, as Ithink the Cyclone was under-carbed.

DSC_0109_zps810ddf9c.jpg

Whoops.

Can’tresist an impulse buy at the checkout but it’s usually limited to a bag ofmalted milk balls. Yep, a 74 JDX4 “Special”. Price was right. Only year the Special was made – slide rails and a bigger motor compared to the73. No spark but I’m sure everything is rusty (water in the rewindhousing). On the plus side, checked the compression - 157 MAG side, 160PTO side – pretty healthy numbers. Don’t know if I’ll ever make anythingof it but it’s pretty cool. Thinking this is a 2016 project.

DSC_0107_zps56552b31.jpg

D

Deleted member 10829

The JDX looks to be pretty darn straight all over. Even the front bumper looks good! :)