Summer Vintage Projects 2014

skiroule

The JDX looks to be pretty darn straight all over. Even the front bumper looks good! :)

It actually is decent. Tunnel is nice, pan is good, and the bumpers are in great shape. In fact, the guy I got it from (the Cyclone parts guy) didn't want to part it out because it was such a good restoration candidate so he was kind of happy to have someone take it with hopes of restoring it some day. I grabbed a bunch of parts for this one too, including an NOS windshield so I have a little bit of a jump on parts.

I do get kind of a kick out of the combination rear grab handle setup. It's really pretty ingenious and very sturdy.

P.S. Don't know what was up with the "ransom note" spacing on my previous post. Never had that happen before.

skiroule

Sorry folks, I haven't been very good about getting back to this thread. I've been on assignment on a much more important project. The wheels are always turning though. Picked up this gem on a recent trip to northern MN.

It was advertised as a 78 250, which I was looking for but it turned out to be a 340. Still, the price was right and the owner threw in a nice dash that is probably worth $80 (if you can find one) so I bit. I think it has some potential. Pan is mint, skis, chassis, track, tank, and suspension look good. the engine turns over smooth and seems to have pretty good compression (I'll check that eventually). I've paid more and gotten less.

Even though they never put the engine size on the 78 graphics, I think it is a pretty cool look so if I ever get to it, I'll keep the 78 look.

If you are wondering why it is still in the trailer it's because:
a. I don't have any room anywhere else
b. It's the last place the missus would look
c. All of the above

DSC_0265_zps4307c284.jpg

snoluver1

Well, I suppose finding out it was a 340 instead of what was advertised was a little disappointing. She does look to be in pretty decent shape though. I say, since you already have a 340 in the stable, lets find a 250 for it and build ya a factory oval replica!

skiroule

As usual, i like the way you think. I have to admit it would have been nice if it was a 250. Maybe there is hope though. I'm told (ironically by the seller) that the 340 and the 250 have the same bottom end. Just need to find some 250 cylinders and pistons - not sure about the heads. Get a set of Aaen pipes (and earplugs) and we're in business.

Funny thing is, a real 250 came up for sale in Duluth a couple of days later at an equally good price. Life can be a real practical joker sometimes.

jr37

I was able to get a set of ski/spring/spindles from a friend this weekend. They are not Sidewinder skis, but they are Scorpion skis. Hopefully that is what I need to level out the sled. Now if I get a day to put them on and get the carbs off and cleaned, I won't be far from pulling the rope and seeing if I have another sled to ride this winter. I am running out of time, but we'll see.

skiroule

It’s been way too long since I’ve been back here in Vintage-Land.

The Cyclone project sort of stalled out, another little project came up that had priority.

Trying to get both TX’s trail-worthy right now. Replaced the muffler on the 440 – the Y-pipe flange just snapped off. One too many moguls I guess. Otherwise it just needs track tensioning and adjustment and it’s ready to go. Stole quite a few parts off the 340 for another project so I have to replace the speedometer drive, muffler, kill switch, windshield, snow flap, and intake cover. Have stuff that will do for this winter so should be able to get it back together next week. Fired them both up – they sound good.

Once the TX’s are ready, I’m going to try to switch the rear suspension out on the Cyclone and at least make it a rider for this year. Seems like a sled that would really be fun to ride. I've read that they are pretty much indestructible.

skiroule

The Search is Complete

I knew if I kept at it long enough, I'd find one was in my price range and could be saved: a 79 TX 250. This completes the set of 79 models for me. As usual, there are issues but compared to a couple of other deals I've made, this was a good deal.

DSC_0012_zps1330e591.jpg

Shot some gas in it tonight. Fired up on the first pull. This is a bona-fide 250, tuned pipe and all.

DSC_0016_zpsa218a2ec.jpg

Maybe summer project 2016? With this addition, I will break down the 78 for parts.

skiroule

Yes, it's no longer 2014 but Kirk's project got me motivated to get back on the Cyclone project. I won't get past making it a rat rod this year but I do want to get it into riding condition. Tonight I pulled the suspension to assess the condition. I had already torn down the spare suspension from a Liquifire and found some issues so I wanted to use as many parts as possible off the current suspension.

Once I got it out, there were several things that just didn't look right.

Like this:
DSC_0019_zps89d34f69.jpg

and this:
DSC_0026_zps92fc1b46.jpg

also this:
DSC_0021_zpsb0ac0881.jpg

Tipped up rails have been a fairly common feature in later model sleds but a 76 rail should not look like this:
DSC_0028_zps341d334d.jpg

In the end, I think I got lucky because it looks like I have enough usable parts between the two suspensions to make one that will work for this year.

skiroule

This was a pretty quick and dirty skid cleanup job, which is why it's painted with flat black paint but i really want to get this one back on the snow. At least everything is straightened out and greased and the paint should hold up until I can get back at it to do a better job.

DSC_0032_zpsyigxkq2q.jpg

Working on this has added a couple of more items to the Waconia wish list. Quite a few things on this suspension that are no longer in production.

jr37

Kelly, one of these years I will have to get out there and meet you and spend some money. This weekend is the Wausau 525 race weekend. The money raised at this race is given to Flips Fund, which gives money to critically ill children, scholarships, scouts and other like minded groups. This is a great weekend event, so it's hard to miss. And, the track is only 9 miles from home.

Flips Fund is who I organized a fundraiser for a few weeks back. It is really hard to not support this great cause when you see these kids battling an illness.

Have a great, vintage weekend.

D

Deleted member 10829

That 79 250 looks in pretty good shape! Can't wait to watch you do your magic. :)

skiroule

Jon, it seems like a great cause and I’m pretty good at spending money. I don’t plan to work until I drop and they haul me out on a stretcher so I’m hoping that next winter I won’t have to cram everything into a few short weekends. I should have more time to take in other events. Come to think of it though, the stretcher, EMT equipment, and the medi-transport cart were all sold at an inventory reduction auction. Guess feet first would be PlanB.

Well Mark, the sled work will most likely be somewhat sporadic over the next 10 months or so. I have a big remodeling project coming up next spring/summer/fall. Would love to get at the 250 but it may have to wait a while. It’s kind of in the middle of the scale as far as how much work it needs but it’s a solid sled.

Got the suspension back in the “Cyclone Ranger” tonight. It looks so much better with a straight suspension. Something about this sled just appeals to me. May have to consider loading it up and heading for Waconia this weekend. Would like to run it on the lake a little.

Went to open a kitchen cabinet tonight and the door knob fell off. Man, am I glad my wife didn’t see that.