Suspension Bolts

se3racing

I need a bolt for my suspension that is a 1/2 longer then stock. If I buy a bolt from the hardware store that is the same grade would there be a problem. Would stainless work also?

doomsman

Use grade 5 bolts look for marks like this on the head.
stainless is arguable.
hex-head-marking-grade5.gif

indy_500

Use grade 8 instead, the stronger the better. Would be no problem with one from a hardware store.

doomsman

Indy yes grade 8 is stronger but less available and more costly.
a grade 5 has 105000 psi tensile and a #8 150000, both far more
than needed in the application. Why spend more or run around
looking for a bolt that exceeds the requirements

indy_500

Some unmarked bolts from the hardware store are junk.

i meant get a grade 8 bolt from the hardware store. I would go grade 8 though, i've broken grade 5's on my handlebars, the suspension takes a lot more abuse. Not to mention i've broken 3 grade 8 bolts before. I now buy brand new grade 8 bolts from the polaris dealer pre-applied with loctite before every season and it costs me 25 cents per bolt from the dealer, why would you go grade 5 just cuz?

Last edited:

se3racing

Bolts

Thanks for the reponses. My front A arm on rear suspension needs to be longer I had to add a new plate becouse the holes got egg out into a oval. I wouldn't think a dealer would take the time to find longer bolts without a part number.

polarisrider1

i meant get a grade 8 bolt from the hardware store. I would go grade 8 though, i've broken grade 5's on my handlebars, the suspension takes a lot more abuse. Not to mention i've broken 3 grade 8 bolts before. I now buy brand new grade 8 bolts from the polaris dealer pre-applied with loctite before every season and it costs me 25 cents per bolt from the dealer, why would you go grade 5 just cuz?

Indy, I like your answer. Grade 5 is 18 cents, grade 8 is 25 cents. I put Grade 8 bolts on everything. Poo comes stock with grade 8 on most of the sled. Poo ski grade 8's are a weird size but the Home Depot carries them of all places in those specialty bins. Always blue lock tite suspension bolts.

indy_500

i believe mills fleet farms price is either 3.39 or 3.99 per lb. that's where i get most of my nuts and bolts, i wish everyone sold by the lb.