Teton, Wind River Ranges - Wyoming March 6 - 13 2015

skiroule

Thought I should add a clip of our recent Wyoming trip while I have the chance. I’m not sure but at 66, this might have been my last western roundup. We’ll see but at this age, lots of factors coming into play.

What I’m hoping that a lot of people can relate to this video and say “hey, I could ride that” because not all mountain riding is extreme. We love riding the foothills and meadows and often spend hours in a given area. Also, while not well publicized, the trails are typically excellent and offer amazing scenery.
There are a lot of mountain riders on this site with crazy skills (Cooksend, Bryn71, etc.) but as even they have said “it’s all about having fun”. Hopefully this video confirms that.

By the way, this video contains a lot of still shots because it allows the posting of a lot of photos in a single file. Hope you like it.

- - - Updated - - -

P.S. play at 720pHD (I always forget).

polarisrider1

Thought I should add a clip of our recent Wyoming trip while I have the chance. I’m not sure but at 66, this might have been my last western roundup. We’ll see but at this age, lots of factors coming into play.

What I’m hoping that a lot of people can relate to this video and say “hey, I could ride that” because not all mountain riding is extreme. We love riding the foothills and meadows and often spend hours in a given area. Also, while not well publicized, the trails are typically excellent and offer amazing scenery.
There are a lot of mountain riders on this site with crazy skills (Cooksend, Bryn71, etc.) but as even they have said “it’s all about having fun”. Hopefully this video confirms that.

By the way, this video contains a lot of still shots because it allows the posting of a lot of photos in a single file. Hope you like it.

- - - Updated - - -

P.S. play at 720pHD (I always forget).

Nice!

garyl62

Great looking trip. that's the kind of trip I need to make. Nothing too crazy but some open meadows, a few trees and a trail ride to catch a breather from the occasional dig out.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Very Nice Kelly!

I'm only closing in on 50, but with the two open hearts, I sure can identify with how you feel when riding out there.

I am so thankful for the opportunity to experience it so many times!

-John

skiroule

Great looking trip. that's the kind of trip I need to make. Nothing too crazy but some open meadows, a few trees and a trail ride to catch a breather from the occasional dig out.

It can be done. There really is something for everyone. It’s hard to grasp the vastness of the terrain until you’ve been there. Obviously, even fairly innocent looking slopes have slide potential so one should always carry avalanche gear. Think our highest point this year was about 10,100 ft.

I'm only closing in on 50, but with the two open hearts, I sure can identify with how you feel when riding out there.
-John

Yeah it’s a tough call. The spirit is definitely willing but what I really notice is the decline of reaction time. When you can measure it with a sundial I guess that’s a bad thing.

Vipermax10’s comment about the wildlife reminded me to ask one of my riding buddies for these photos. Never saw the moose served any alcohol but then I don’t know what the legal drinking age is in moose years.

20140307_174242_zpsfizmziwu.jpg

20140307_175515_zpsemocvfuk.jpg

snoluver1

Looks like a great trip Kelly! I've said it before and I'll say it again, I can only pray I can still have the fun your having at 66. To see you traveling the country and having a blast wether your shredding the mountains or railing trails on a vintage machine, it truly is inspirational! Thanks for sharing your adventures with us!

If that is your last trip west, I'm sure glad I got a chance to share one of those trips with you!

Last edited:

skiroule

If that is your last trip west, I'm sure glad I got a chance to share one of those trips with you!

That WAS some trip - made a lot of memories and destroyed a few brain cells. Come to think of it, that seems to be a pattern whenever we have gotten together.

No question, I think I’ve had more fun in the last five or six years than ever before. Have to feel a little sorry for my frustrated financial adviser though. He finally told me “I see a bad fitting vest and a whole lot of “Good afternoon ma’am, welcome to Walmart” in your future”. That may be true but all the while I’ll be thinking “it was so worth it”.

D

Deleted member 10829

Great video Kelly! I really like the still picture of you on your sled at 3:41. I sure enjoy reading your posts, they are always entertaining and make me chuckle. Some of those stucks you guys had looked pretty nasty. I'm only 53 and don't have the energy you do. :)

The moose is very cool and he looks very healthy. It helps to be well fed. He looks too young to drink yet. ;)

skiroule

There was some serious trenching and if you look closely you’ll notice that I appear to be the one that is stuck a lot so I deserved some abuse, although my buddy’s comment that “you seem to be pretty good with a shovel” did sting a little.

It was really tough walking outside with a morning cup of coffee and having to look at this every day. The beauty of the area never gets old.

03096022_zpsbqf1gkrk.jpg

cooksend

Great stuff and cool edit. I love watching the vids people put together as well as sharing some I have done. The Mountains are as diverse as those who ride them and ride is all about what we want it to be and not what somebody tells us it should be! While I would hate to see this as your last trip it does give me hope that I have at least another 23 years of pounding out some mountain lines! Where did you base out of for this trip?

Thanks for the post!!!

skiroule

Very cool! Sure hope I can still be ripping the mountain sides 46 years from now. Ride on!

Great stuff and cool edit. I love watching the vids people put together as well as sharing some I have done. While I would hate to see this as your last trip it does give me hope that I have at least another 23 years of pounding out some mountain lines!

Thanks for the post!!!

Trust me, you guys will still be tearing it up out there decades from now. I can only imagine what your sleds will be like. Just don’t buy the first year of the flux capacitor. Hard to say about next year – I was all set to put the RMK up for sale this spring and even had a couple of buyers lined up but it’s still out in the shed. Maybe that says something.

The Mountains are as diverse as those who ride them and ride is all about what we want it to be and not what somebody tells us it should be! Where did you base out of for this trip?

Well said! It really is about what challenges a person and what makes it fun, all at the same time. No one should feel bad because their riding experience doesn’t reflect a skill level such as yours (although I do feel kind of bad) - Just kidding. I think it's possible that some people fall into the very trap you mentioned and just end up being frustrated.

We did most of our riding out of Crooked Creek but also a couple of days out of Lava Mountain. Most of the video was shot south of Crooked and as I'm sure you know, it really opens up and there are some enormous riding areas, although I don’t think it gets quite as much snow as further north. A lot of it really fits our style of riding and ability and there are some wicked climbs if one is so inclined. The snow was pretty set up this year but it made for some great exploring.

cooksend

I would like to ride from Crooked Creek one of these years! We found a few decent climbs on the way to Fish but nothing huge. So far my favorite areas in the Tog area are not far from Lava!