Thawing out a sled?

mjw66

At our cottage, the only access to a trail is across the lake and lately the lake is very slushy. When I come off the lake and put the lseds into the garge they are packed with slush and snow.

Since the garage is not heated the sleds never that out.

I was thinking about buying a torpedo type heater and just blowing hot air onto each sled.

What's the best way to thaw out the snowmobiles?

wiscrev

If you jerry-rig a tarp over the sled/s, it will speed the process and if the heater is a large one, it won't take long.

picbn

Why do you need to thaw them out? I have the same situation, never thawed them. Store with rear suspension on a stand to get track off the ground. Next time you ride, lift and drop the back end of the sled a couple times to break up any ice and should be good to go. Never had a problem in 20+ years.

mjw66

Why do you need to thaw them out? I have the same situation, never thawed them. Store with rear suspension on a stand to get track off the ground. Next time you ride, lift and drop the back end of the sled a couple times to break up any ice and should be good to go. Never had a problem in 20+ years.
They are both two up - 4 strokes, I cannot lift them that high...LOL!

This past weekend when I took them out they sounded like coffee grinders when first starting out.

old abe

This past weekend when I took them out they sounded like coffee grinders when first starting out.
Yamaha

Yamaha's?

katden4

I have done it with a torpedo as well, and its pretty quick. I have also seen dealerships when they have to work on a skid frame, use a hose to rinse off the ice and snow. don't know that you have access to running water, but it worked pretty good for them. This was in Calumet many years ago.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Originally posted by Bayfly

I actually totaled out a 2013 Arctic Cat XF1100 Turbo with an ice chunk that formed from riding through slush the night before. It ruined the heat exchanger, ripped the track, and damaged the tunnel. I never thought that much about it before, but learned the hard way.

old abe

Yes they are. Why do ask?
Seen this before. Several years back we were on a big mile loop, week trip in Canada. The Yamaha's seemed to pack their tunnels, and suspensions so full of snow, slush, then turn to ice. Out side of tunnel was thick ice caked. Heated garage, shed was a must at night! Way too heavy, and packed too tight, to able to pickup and bounce it out. Lunch stops where a issue.

whitedust

Exactly I kept my sleds outside in Vilas for 16 years. Always had to cross lake coming or going. Put sled in a sunny place on a stand or on an old bumber Jack run in reverse watch the ice and snow shoot out. When you start left on Jack run gently in reverse slowly free front skis and your good to go. I did use a cover to keep fallen snow off but that was it. Sleds like snow and ice keeps them from rusting. What do you think people in Alaska do?