The Mosquito - It's Available

skiroule

The Mosquito is such an iconic snowmobiling bar in the U.P. I hope someone will buy it and keep it operating. I’m sure it’s a tough business to be in but $270,000 wouldn’t even buy a tiny house in a metro area. If someone is looking for a change in scenery and lifestyle, this might be the ticket.

I suspect that a large portion of the JD members have stopped there at some point and some may even qualify as “regulars”. Seeing it listed brought back a lot of good memories about the establishment. It has always been a mandatory stop, even made one on the TX back in about 2013.

DSCN1977_1.jpg
I’m sure a lot of you out there have stories about the Mosquito

old abe

Yeah, LOL, I can remember how it was years ago! A whole lot different than the recent past years. The first time I took my wife into Mosquito, you could barely see the bar for the cigarette, and cigar smoke! Kind of dingy, dungeon in there to say the least. She didn't care for that kind of atmosphere one bit, thus it was a very short stay! However when the new folks who bought it, I believe they were from Sconny, what a change they made! All good! I think it has changed ownership several times since then?

skiroule

Yeah, LOL, I can remember how it was years ago! A whole lot different than the recent past years. The first time I took my wife into Mosquito, you could barely see the bar for the cigarette, and cigar smoke! Kind of dingy, dungeon in there to say the least. She didn't care for that kind of atmosphere one bit, thus it was a very short stay! However when the new folks who bought it, I believe they were from Sconny, what a change they made! All good! I think it has changed ownership several times since then?
Hard to believe it has been almost 30 years since I first darkened their door. Although, like you said, at the time it was pretty dark in there already.

Skylar would know the whole history but I believe that a few years back the owners at the time (Don and Donna) sold it to one of their employees. In both cases, the owners were very supportive of the Make-A-Wish charity event, displaying both raffle sleds in the bar and selling several thousand dollars’ worth of tickets. At some point I guess Don and Donna reacquired it and resumed operating the bar.

indy_500

Hard to believe it has been almost 30 years since I first darkened their door. Although, like you said, at the time it was pretty dark in there already.

Skylar would know the whole history but I believe that a few years back the owners at the time (Don and Donna) sold it to one of their employees. In both cases, the owners were very supportive of the Make-A-Wish charity event, displaying both raffle sleds in the bar and selling several thousand dollars’ worth of tickets. At some point I guess Don and Donna reacquired it and resumed operating the bar.
Don and Donna sold I believe in Dec 2014 to their former employee Shelie via land contract. Fast forward to Dec 2017 it wasn’t working out for her, and Don and Donna reacquired the bar. They ran it, until they sold it officially 2 months ago to a new owner named Scott. He spent a ton of dough repairing electrical problems, and i think realized he’s in over his head so decided to put it back on the market.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Many fond memories! I'll never forget squeezing one of your beautifully restored vintage sleds through the front door to put on display to help sell raffle tickets for the sled and to raise money for the Make-A-Wish Foundation!!!

You are a blessing, skiroule!!!

skiroule

Thanks Indy for improving on my recollection. I thought it might have been sold recently but wasn’t sure. Shelie seemed like a pretty cool person. Too bad it didn’t work out for her.

John, I could be wrong but it seems to me that I supervised the whole shoehorning the sled through the doorway operation from a barstool while firmly gripping a frosty mug. Always trying to be a team player.

uncle_ed

bug.JPG
Finally made it to the west end of the u.p. that last big rain turned to snow event of the season. Very nice trails with the groomers out as well. Even stopped in at Pats......super nice place and location!