The next Generation

Outstanding! I love seeing stories of getting the kids involved in the sport and making fantastic family memories. I am enjoying getting my 12 year old Grandson out on the trails this year. He started around age 8 as well - on a John Deere 340 Spitfire. Great sled but he needed a bit of an upgrade this year to be better suited for trail riding.
Enjoy!!

legend02

Outstanding! I love seeing stories of getting the kids involved in the sport and making fantastic family memories. I am enjoying getting my 12 year old Grandson out on the trails this year. He started around age 8 as well - on a John Deere 340 Spitfire. Great sled but he needed a bit of an upgrade this year to be better suited for trail riding.
Enjoy!!
I’ve had the 250 for over 20 years , his cousins rode it when they were 12 & 8. When I got home the guy who was 8 back than now 28 was over and was riding his 4 year old around the yard and he like it .

Glad I never got rid of it , hadn’t left my yard since 2006 , the last Wisconsin trail permit is still on it 2006

euphoric1

started taking my son when he was 4, when turned 12 made a deal with him, if he took the one day course at the snow show and passed it I would give him my sled, needless to say his first sled was a 1995 ZRT 800 and his first ride driving his own was 150 miles, was very proud of him!

Hoosier

That's great. We have a 340 Enticer and a Polaris 120 for our kids. My youngest 2 are 10 and they've outgrown the 120 so I'm hoping to find something to replace it. Maybe a bravo. Prices are nuts for everything though. Was looking at an evo a couple years ago but didn't buy it. Probably should have!

wiscrev

That's great. We have a 340 Enticer and a Polaris 120 for our kids. My youngest 2 are 10 and they've outgrown the 120 so I'm hoping to find something to replace it. Maybe a bravo. Prices are nuts for everything though. Was looking at an evo a couple years ago but didn't buy it. Probably should have!

Cant recall the model, but 2001-2004ish Polaris made a mid-size. Perfect sled for that age- about 3/4's size of a regular sled. Always tried to find one for the grandkids and never did. BTW, I'm a SkiDoo guy.

elf

Started our kids at 1 and 2 in a snow coach, then 2 & 3 we got a 120. They also rode in front of us on our sleds for 1000+ miles per year. As they got a bit older they were doing most of the driving while my wife and I just held on. Then we added a Supersport and a XC500 to the fleet as the kids got old enough to be on their own. Then at 14 my son took over my RMK600 when I got a new one and just last year he bought himself a 850 SKS 155". He chose his college last fall, Montana Technical University, based on the fact he could take his sled and he was close to great riding. I'm going to visit him for spring break this year to go sledding.
He is discovering broken parts on a college kids budget severely affect his riding time. I warned him it was a different story when dad wasn't paying to fix everything all the time. He's gotta keep making pizza deliveries to pay for a-arms!

mbo285

Cant recall the model, but 2001-2004ish Polaris made a mid-size. Perfect sled for that age- about 3/4's size of a regular sled. Always tried to find one for the grandkids and never did. BTW, I'm a SkiDoo guy.
The polaris sled is a 340. I have one. They made the 3/4 size from 1999-2002 I believe. Anything after that I think is full size. It’s a great sled. My 12 year old is currently riding it

wisco-mb

Awesome, thanks for sharing! I just bought a Polaris Dragon 120 for my boy. He'll be 3 in end of April. He just did his first longer trip with us. 110 mile trip. He did great. He didn't even fall asleep!
Last year he did 2 separate, smaller trips and loved it!

He learned how to ride his own sled this year. Father in-law picked up a custom built sled from a guy out of WI Rapids.
Such a joy to see them!

The 120's are hard to find right now. And more expensive.... I found one last Friday and jumped on it right away.

Attachments

• IMG_20220115_122708155-e.jpg
    IMG_20220115_122708155-e.jpg
    716.5 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20220129_135417539_HDR-e.jpg
    IMG_20220129_135417539_HDR-e.jpg
    679.7 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20220205_162113202_HDR-e.jpg
    IMG_20220205_162113202_HDR-e.jpg
    734.1 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20220205_161725627_HDR-e.jpg
    IMG_20220205_161725627_HDR-e.jpg
    674.7 KB · Views: 31

wiscrev

The polaris sled is a 340. I have one. They made the 3/4 size from 1999-2002 I believe. Anything after that I think is full size. It’s a great sled. My 12 year old is currently riding it
Tks, although I'm not a Polaris guy, always like that 3/4 sled for the youngins. Wish I had one now!

katden4

I know they are pricey, but Arctic Cat did a great job building the Blast. Its not for everyone, but for those who want or need that size, they are really nice.

indy_500

Polaris also made a sport 440 in that era that had the Indy Lite rear suspension and tunnel, with a full size gen II front. IMO it’s an even better transition sled as the Indy lite 340 is almost too small for an adult to ride if they had to. Plus a 12 yr old shouldn’t complain with the power of a 440 fan, as they might with a 340! Here’s my little man on his, he just turned 9! He’s a heck of a big 9 yr old, hope to have him on a liquid 500 of some sort by 12. Also had to share a pic of him on his old 120! 6A16DC8B-E2FC-4E78-A9D7-2171582685E0.jpeg FB2FC737-B582-4DE7-9BA4-F16D3D6FFF55.jpeg

Last edited:

pclark

Polaris also made a sport 440 in that era that had the Indy Lite rear suspension and tunnel, with a full size gen II front. IMO it’s an even better transition sled as the Indy lite 340 is almost too small for an adult to ride if they had to. Plus a 12 yr old shouldn’t complain with the power of a 440 fan, as they might with a 340! Here’s my little man on his, he just turned 9! He’s a heck of a big 9 yr old, hope to have him on a liquid 500 of some sort by 12. Also had to share a pic of him on his old 120! View attachment 66920 View attachment 66921
Nice pics!

warner

riding with my son is one of the most satisfying things i have gotten out of years in the sport..i love riding behind him and watching his skills keep improving as he follows my brother through the woods...Man it makes me smile :)

another option for younger riders is a Polaris 550 Fan. Install a throttle lever from a EVO, which is a longer throttle with less of an angle (throttle is closer to the handlebars), so it limits the acceleration and top speed. Then as they get older, install the OG throttle, then get a few more years of them riding the same machine.

Hoosier

another option for younger riders is a Polaris 550 Fan. Install a throttle lever from a EVO, which is a longer throttle with less of an angle (throttle is closer to the handlebars), so it limits the acceleration and top speed. Then as they get older, install the OG throttle, then get a few more years of them riding the same machine.
That's a good tip - didn't know that. 2 of my kids are cautious enough but it's the other one I'd be worried about, and this might help.

old abe

riding with my son is one of the most satisfying things i have gotten out of years in the sport..i love riding behind him and watching his skills keep improving as he follows my brother through the woods...Man it makes me smile :)
X 2! Yeah, well that was 30 plus years ago for me. It all starting with him at 3 to 4 years old, with a "Polarisized" Kitty Cat! However, I remember all of it as it was just yesterday! His spring breaks, that we spent in the Yoop, were some of the very best, thanks to Sandy and Richard Krupp!

lofsfire

Well I have to say taking my kids has been some of my best trips too! I started them out riding in front of me and falling asleep and now both are riding their own sleds.

My oldest on his first ride with me.
Small P3120018.jpg

His first race, Nelson's Snowmotion. They use to have it at the end of Aug and dig up snow from the year before. We only did it once but he can say he raced on snow in August. Yes, it was melting fast that day...
Small DSCF5277 (Medium).jpg

Both the boys were able to be in a few fun races in the winter time too .
Small 20150117_Coyote Cup Race_0030.jpg

This was my youngest first ride, and me realizing I had to do something different if I was going to be taking two kids with me.
Small DSCF6430.jpg

The following year I picked up a snowcoach! That was a great investment. It was also something everybody asked me about when we stopped place.
Small IMAG1440.jpg
Small IMAG1410.jpg

Had that for a few years then bought a 1998 Jag 340DLX. It's been a great mid size sled. I did upgrade the chain case to have reverse!
My oldest practiced in the backyard for a year. Then eventually in 2019 I bought the 2up seat adapter for my youngest to use on my sled and we took a trip to Rockland.
Small IMG_20190102_131959852.jpg

In February of last year, I ran across a ZR5000 that I picked up and upgraded the oldest to that sled. Then this year my youngest was feeling some pressure from his big brother so I told the kids I was going to take each of them on their own trip. Which actual worked out great!

My oldest (15) and I up in the Eastern UP
Small 20220116_172258.jpg

Then just last weekend I took my youngest (12) up just north of Kalamazoo and he did awesome! Here he is with his 340 Jag. (Decals say ZL but it was stripped when I bought it and found these on ebay for $40 and though they look good for the price.)
Small 20220205_141132.jpg

I have even setup our trailer up for camping, which we of course mainly do in warmer weather but we have found works out great for snowmobiling too! Lots of great memories!
Small 20210116_180910.jpg

Last edited: