Things in a shop.

I know the question arises alot on here but I have decided to split my 2 car garage in have an turn one side into a shop. Before i go about insulating an stuff i am going to run the wires an all that. but anything else i should maybe think about doing and when i do the walls all that im just looking for sugestions. thank you.

wags

think about running piping around the shop area for a shop vac system and another for compressed air that way the shop vac and air comp are always in one spot, all you need to do is hook up to the piping where you are doing your work. A sink if possible to wash up.

ezra

I sometimes wish I had a uranal in my gar.why split up a 2 car with a wall ?insulate the whole thing and call it a day .now if you need the space you have it

dab102999

I'm with ezra on that one. Being from a farm I can say that no matter what size building you have it is never big enought. I wouldn't devide it at all. You can always hang a tarp if you need to for painting and things of that nature if you need to. Also a ventilation fan, expesially if you are going to be welding or painting.

anonomoose

Yeah, a fan is important. Get a bathroom vent fan with heat. You need a quick shot of heat the bath fan works like a hair dryer and can heat things up quick for a work session, and only costs pennies to use. Won't do it well in the dead of winter but other times it's all you need. The vent fan can work to get rid of aerosol can smell effectively if you duct it out.

Consider two seperate circuits for the juice. And put twice as many outlets around as you THINK you will need, and then you will be only 1/2 as sorry you didn't put more.

favoritos

Do not split the space. You will need the bigger room just one day after you build the wall. Put in as many circuits as you can afford breakers. Put in 20A circuits. I would even consider a disto box in the garage. No need to run down to the basement to flip a breaker. Run 220V for the big tools that you will buy down the road. Fan is a good idea, but use one that can be replaced cheap and easy. Shop fans get covered in loads of gunk. Plan on walls strong enough to support your workbenches. It is much easier to clean under a bench without floor legs.

duane9835

Best thing i did in my garage was to put an I-Beam in the ceiling and a beam clamp with a chain fault. I also ran the power in conduit on the outside of the drywall so you can move it around if need be.

maddogg

My dad put a small electric crane in the garage a couple of years ago. We all thought he was crazy, but boy does it come in handy - swaping outboads, lifting sleds, changing blades on the lawn mower. A good set of tools that are organized, a good air compressor, and a power washer all come in handy also.

tree_acres_camp

- fridge with beer tap in door
- tv with cable/dish to catch games and races.
- couch so you got a place to sleep when you tell wife your going up north sledding with your friends for the 8th time that season

yamahauler

Before you sheetrock it up, take pictures with a tape measure laid out to show where studs, wires, and the like are at. This way, when hanging shelving you can double check to make sure you don't put it through a wire.

A fuse panel for just the fuses in the garage is great like mentioned above.

Never thought about running the wire in conduit on the outside of the wall, good idea.

dcsnomo

Lots of ceiling lights, and I wired additional outlets in the ceiling for the lights and anything else I had to plug in while I am working right there (like trouble light).
Chain hoist and small parts washer from Fleet Farm.
And of course cable tv, high speed internet, beer fridge and dart board!

ezra

i 2ND THE ELECTRIC HOIST i LOVE MY HOIST I GOT A CHEEPY FROM HARBOR FREIGHT .THE PROB IS NOW i SEEM TO HAVE GUYS SLEDS TAKING UP SPACE IN MY GARGE MORE OFTEN HANGING FROM MY HOIST.BEST THING i PUT IN NEXT TO THE MODINE

lvr1000

Don't forget the skylight. Nice to have natural lighting. I wish I would have put in more outlets, both walls and ceiling, especially 220v. Sucks dragging around a 600v, 60amp extention. Fuse panel in garage comes in handy.
With your wires, don't forget the phone and speaker wires.
Wish I had a drain for clean up!

ezra

lvr phone realy I goto my man cave and keep the cell in the house I go out to unwind and tinker not get buged with phone calls.but I do have surround sound with a sub dvd cd and high deff 36 in dimond plate work bench,clear mapple plywood walls'celing fan'hoist'pull down screen on 1 of the gar doors'4 bar stools with billit flame back rest bar table'beer frig'memorabilia case on the wall'48 ft of pallet racking'dart board'tons of tools,but most deff no phone. I love my garage

lvr1000

Phone came in handy two different times on different sled tear downs. Call the dealer for parts, then the wife to go get the parts. Ezra, the ringer can be turned off! Or like my garage phone, broken ringer (reason that phone is in garage)