Things to do in Chicago....ideas??

MZEMS2

So, the Mrs. wants to go down to Chicago for a long wknd. I know absolutely nothing about the place, other than I hate driving there, and it has a couple airports...LOL. So, I'm looking for suggestions of things to see and do for a couple days. The only idea I had was Navy Peer.

frnash

So, the Mrs. wants to go down to Chicago for a long wknd. I know absolutely nothing about the place, other than I hate driving there, and it has a couple airports...LOL. So, I'm looking for suggestions of things to see and do for a couple days. The only idea I had was Navy Peer.

So, you wanna go to down to the Navy Pier — to "peer" at the navy? :p

We're about 2 hrs from downtown. If you don't have something to do like a game, concert, etc... You better go with the attitude to just stroll and spend money. The best time I had there was with two other couples. We ate out lunch, dinner, did some shopping and then somehow ended up in a limo bar hopping. $5-6 beers are the norm and a piano bar had $10 buckets with 7-12 straws of some concoction that hit the spot.

mrsrunningbear

Check out the Field Museum, Science and Industry Museum, Shed Aquarium. Go see Blue Man Group, go to the top of Willis Tower

Ramsey

Grey Line double decker bus tour was very informative, we really liked it.

I've gone to several seminars there over the years, I usually go to a little neighborhood bar George's at the corner of E. Balbo and S. Wabash to have a few beers, Miller Lite was $2.50 if I remember correctly. The place is nothing fancy but it affordable and I've never felt like I was going to get knifed while I was there. There's a retired Chicago PD Deputy Chief that's a permanent fixture there, he has some stories.

MZEMS2

So, you wanna go to down to the Navy Pier — to "peer" at the navy? :p

Doh!!, yup, gonna peer at the pier alright...LOL

- - - Updated - - -

I've gone to several seminars there over the years, I usually go to a little neighborhood bar George's at the corner of E. Balbo and S. Wabash to have a few beers, Miller Lite was $2.50 if I remember correctly. The place is nothing fancy but it affordable and I've never felt like I was going to get knifed while I was there. There's a retired Chicago PD Deputy Chief that's a permanent fixture there, he has some stories.

Miller Lite for $2.50? Good Lord, I'd never get my wife to leave the place. Thanks for all the replies so far everyone.

srobak

The only idea I had was Navy Peer.

Skip that - unless you like insane crowds and high prices for trinkets. It's kinda like Mackinac Island, or Brown County Indiana - only worse. If during the summer it is a good spot to go on Saturday nights for the (albeit brief) fireworks display. There is usually a decent band on stage in the Beer Garden all the way at the end of the pier. I would also recommend doing a lunch cruise from one of the many cruise liners along the pier. It is a bit pricey, but it is a couple hours away from crowds with a unique view of the city.

Check out the Field Museum, Science and Industry Museum, Shed Aquarium. Go see Blue Man Group, go to the top of Willis Tower

Skip this too - unless you are intending on going on a museum & history tour. Long lines to get in, over-crowded once inside, absolutely no place to sit down and take a load off and way over-priced. Plus you are stuck inside for hours while a beautiful city awaits outside.

This is a great idea, as is a boat-based architectural tour. Nice and relaxing, great views and informative. A walking tour along Michigan Ave, North Beach and also the northern shore of the Chicago River from Michigan Ave are enjoyable. Combine the last with a walk along Wacker Drive to the west from Michigan Ave.

Other ideas - go to the Signature Room Lounge (different from Signature Room Restaurant) in the Hancock Tower - go a couple hours before sunset and try to get a table on the glass to the west or the south, stay through the sunset and watch the lights come up in the city. They have food and drinks - but they are chicago priced. I'd also recommend a walking tour along the lakefront heading south from Wacker & the Chicago Yacht Club towards Soldier Field & the museum campus. Once near there you can cross Lake Shore Drive into Grant Park and check out Buckingham Fountain and The Bean, then walk north along S. Michigan Ave back towards the river.

In general - I recommend staying outdoors more than in... the charm of the city is in the views of it.... not necessarily being IN it. :)

If you want a motorcycle tour via Goldwing I am happy to oblige - but can only take 1 person at a time :D

wing-city-wide.jpg

POLARISDAN

Dead on..then hit portillos for a beef and cheddar croissant...and a couple of their Chicago dogs..go to greektown..try any pizza place u see..go down go rush st..hit Michigan ave..go to little Italy for some pasta..go to woodfield mall..just hit museums eat and shop then do it again

chicagosledder

I would suggest staying in Rosemont near O'Hare, they have everything that the city has without the crowds and high prices. If you do venture into teh city you can jump on theCTA train and be downtown in less than an hour for a few bucks. If you are driving ad want to hit up some good restaurants, stay out of the tourist trap in the Michigan Ave. area. We have plenty of great restaurants and almost all of them are not downtown. Feel free to PM me if you want suggestions. I live in Chicago not the suburbs so I can tell you where to go.

dcsnomo

Stay in River North, North Michigan Ave, or Streeterville. Be right where the action is....pay the price. Check Orbitz or whatever day of travel, prices drop on Friday. You should be able to get by for about $109 per night if you book Friday AM.
Art Institute and Millenium Park
Skip Navy Pier unless there is an exhibition you want to see.
Buddy Gyy's club, Blue Chicago are fun
Eatily is good on a Sat afternoon
Blue MAn Group is a hoot, as is Old Jews Telling Jokes
Eat at Shaws, then go to Andy's jazz club right next door t Huron and Rush
Wander this neighborhood...Ribver North, Mich, Streeterville. Eat. Drink. Stay out late. Listen to music. Repeat

arcticgeorge

.Sorry meant to quote Mrsrunningbear.......Same here. I was going to say the Field Museum or the Museum of Science and Industry, they have a full captured World War II German sub that you can take a tour through. Sears (Willis) tower is a must too.

Last edited:

srobak

Chinatown but not after the sun goes down.

Why not? I go there all the time - even with the Goldwing & leave it parked on the street. 7 Treasures, Joy Yee, Triple Cown, 3 Happiness... Perfectly fine & safe.

I live in Chicago not the suburbs so I can tell you where to go.

That's pretty arrogant - and ignorant. Some of us lived in the city for quite a while before moving to the burbs, continue to work in the city and in general spend more time in the city - both downtown and nearby - than we do in the burbs - despite where we live - and also know "where to go". The most ironic part is that you recommend him to lodge in the burbs. *smh* Anyhow - as he has limited time (OP says weekend) I was trying to show "where to go" that would let him enjoy the majestic aspects of the city and not spend all his time indoors and on stinky trains (blue line is the worst of them all - despite riding it daily I still can't get used to the stench).

Last edited: