Things to do in Chicago....ideas??

SledTL

So, the Mrs. wants to go down to Chicago for a long wknd. I know absolutely nothing about the place, other than I hate driving there, and it has a couple airports...LOL. So, I'm looking for suggestions of things to see and do for a couple days. The only idea I had was Navy Peer.

It depends on what time of year you want to come down. I would suggest against Rosemont just because its a huge mess with O'Hare. If you have time make a run to Gene and Judes at about one in the morning lol and get some Garrets popcorn. Millennium park is a pretty cool place to just hang out and relax away from the hustle and bustle of the city, plus they sometimes have some good music there. The beaches are pretty nice and if you can bring your bikes down the lakefront trail is enjoyable. Also make your way over to little Italy and go to a place called tuffanos. You'll have to search a little for it, but trust me its hands down some of the best itailan food ever.

m8man

I love traveling to Chi town. Here is why we go, to see and do things we can't do here in the Kew.

we do hit some nice restaurants, and they are all over not just in the city. we also did the museums, shed aquarium, navy pier, boat tours, and simply walked around. My favorite part is the museums, but I'm a history buff. I can spend time in the Science and industry museum, museum of natural history, and other cool places. I do like staying in Rosemont, and I've even seen a Van Halen concert there (almost 2 yrs ago). Rosemont is nice and you can take a train in for cheap, like we did, as I hate driving down there. I think we paid around $150 per night and a nice dinner out can run you and your wifey $100 easy. But heck why not once in a blue moon. The second time I was ever to chi town I went to a place called Blue Chicago, that was very cool and relaxing.

enjoy

chicagosledder

Why not? I go there all the time - even with the Goldwing & leave it parked on the street. 7 Treasures, Joy Yee, Triple Cown, 3 Happiness... Perfectly fine & safe.

That's pretty arrogant - and ignorant. Some of us lived in the city for quite a while before moving to the burbs, continue to work in the city and in general spend more time in the city - both downtown and nearby - than we do in the burbs - despite where we live - and also know "where to go". The most ironic part is that you recommend him to lodge in the burbs. *smh* Anyhow - as he has limited time (OP says weekend) I was trying to show "where to go" that would let him enjoy the majestic aspects of the city and not spend all his time indoors and on stinky trains (blue line is the worst of them all - despite riding it daily I still can't get used to the stench).

I wasn't trying to be ignorant or arrogant, I was just trying to give him an honest opinion of where to go. I always laugh at people that say "I'm from Chicago" then when I ask them what neighborhood they live in they say "Schaumburg". And yes I do recommend to stay in Rosemont, because it is cheaper and they have all the amenities that downtown has as well, without the fear of being robbed by a bunch of thugs who hang downtown on the weekends strolloing MIchigan Avenue looking for Iphones and unsuspecting tourists. As for the Blue line being stinky it is most likely because you travel it during rush hour on weekdays, it is by far the cheapest and fastest way to get downtown.

arcticgeorge

I wasn't trying to be ignorant or arrogant, I was just trying to give him an honest opinion of where to go. I always laugh at people that say "I'm from Chicago" then when I ask them what neighborhood they live in they say "Schaumburg". And yes I do recommend to stay in Rosemont, because it is cheaper and they have all the amenities that downtown has as well, without the fear of being robbed by a bunch of thugs who hang downtown on the weekends strolloing MIchigan Avenue looking for Iphones and unsuspecting tourists. As for the Blue line being stinky it is most likely because you travel it during rush hour on weekdays, it is by far the cheapest and fastest way to get downtown........................

I think people say Chicago in general cause some people may not know where Fox Lake or Schaumburg is. I was born and raised northwest of Chicago and ill say to people im from the Chicagoland area or the IL WI border. I did live in the city too on Belmont and Broadway.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
I'd say if you are staying in Rosemont, then skip the Blue Line, take a short car ride (a few miles) to either the commuter rail line (not even sure if it is still called Chicago/Northwestern) depots in Des Plains or Dee Rd (no connection, although I did grow up around 1/2 mile from the stop at Dee Rd!). Much nicer ride into the big city.

-John

chicagosledder

I'd say if you are staying in Rosemont, then skip the Blue Line, take a short car ride (a few miles) to either the commuter rail line (not even sure if it is still called Chicago/Northwestern) depots in Des Plains or Dee Rd (no connection, although I did grow up around 1/2 mile from the stop at Dee Rd!). Much nicer ride into the big city.

-John

John, the only problem with that is they are held down on a time schedule with the Metra train. The blue line is fine on the weekends and non rush hour. Either way they should have fun.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
John, the only problem with that is they are held down on a time schedule with the Metra train. The blue line is fine on the weekends and non rush hour. Either way they should have fun.

Yea, you are definitely right about that. Not sure what the schedules are like on weekends, maybe once every 30-60 minutes. I was just thinking that the ride quality on the Metra (thanks for the name clarification) was so much nicer, especially for a man and his wife's first trip to Chicago. The "El" is less crowded on weekends, but still kinda dirty (when compared to the Metra cars) and WAY more quieter. Can't even hear yourself think on the El!

I agree, either way will get you there safely and they will have a good time.

-John

durphee

Early April - go see a Cubs game, at least they won't be mathematically out of the playoffs by then - maybe.

indybru

Where to start if in the summer walk down Michigan Ave the flower pot displays are awesome and Navy pier is a close walk east. I second the architectual boat tour it's great. Any interest is renting bikes and cycle next to Lake Michigan?

If you get up by Lincoln Park, you can see the zoo, eat at RJ Grunts or Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder (across the street St Valentines day massacre site I believe). Also in the area the Chicago History museum is cool they have 2nd city do the headphones when you visit the displays. ,You can walk to Old Town (Wells st) and it at night go to second city is in Old Town.

If you can take the train in you can water taxi to Navy pier or Michigan ave. If not you can take a water taxi anyway for the ride.
Good luck

88skier

In contrast to what a couple others have said, I would avoid spending a lot of time in River North, the Loop or Streeterville. Those are full of way overpriced places and, in my opinion, don't give you the experience the neighborhoods to the north do. Try Lincoln Park, Lakeview (which contains Wrigleyville) and North Center neighborhoods for a huge variety of bars and restaurants that are truly 'Chicago' and do not mandate a home equity loan pre-visit.

My one exception to this would be to go up the Hancock building to The Signature Room if you want a view (instead of Willis Tower). You will pay $10 for a bottled beer, but you won't pay anything for the view from the 95th floor (Willis is around $17 I think just to go up the tower). The view is better than anywhere else in the city since it's close to the lake.

Highflyer

Why not? I go there all the time - even with the Goldwing & leave it parked on the street. 7 Treasures, Joy Yee, Triple Cown, 3 Happiness... Perfectly fine & safe.

That's pretty arrogant - and ignorant. Some of us lived in the city for quite a while before moving to the burbs, continue to work in the city and in general spend more time in the city - both downtown and nearby - than we do in the burbs - despite where we live - and also know "where to go". The most ironic part is that you recommend him to lodge in the burbs. *smh* Anyhow - as he has limited time (OP says weekend) I was trying to show "where to go" that would let him enjoy the majestic aspects of the city and not spend all his time indoors and on stinky trains (blue line is the worst of them all - despite riding it daily I still can't get used to the stench).

I agree completely! The recommendation of staying in burbs for a weekend in the City is like telling someone to stay in Madison, WI and trailer to Tomahawk to go riding each day. Stay where the action is. The best part of the City is the energy, people watching and excitement that it provides. Plus then you can walk or cab to countless restaurants, bars, clubs or events. I think a Blackhawks game is one of the best activities going right now.

- - - Updated - - -

I wasn't trying to be ignorant or arrogant, I was just trying to give him an honest opinion of where to go. I always laugh at people that say "I'm from Chicago" then when I ask them what neighborhood they live in they say "Schaumburg". And yes I do recommend to stay in Rosemont, because it is cheaper and they have all the amenities that downtown has as well, without the fear of being robbed by a bunch of thugs who hang downtown on the weekends strolloing MIchigan Avenue looking for Iphones and unsuspecting tourists. As for the Blue line being stinky it is most likely because you travel it during rush hour on weekdays, it is by far the cheapest and fastest way to get downtown.

Couldn't you get robbed on the Blue line heading back to Rosemont late at night? If you shop the hotel rate I doubt you would be saving much after you figure in train passes and your time.