Thinking of staying in Iron River MI ............................. input please

rich_jelinek

We've never stayed / based out of that area, usually we go further north to the Keewenaw or Michigamme areas but we are thinking of trying it out to save a few hours in the truck. Planning to go up the last week of this month.

Can anyone give me some snow / trail conditions reports for that area and say 100 ish miles in any direction ? Probably will stay at the Americinn in Iron River, I guess it's right on the trail ?

mrsrunningbear

Good trails, nice town, good hotel with a nice pool. Alice's restaurant is our favorite, Mr. T's great breakfast, Trail 2 west stop at the Wooden Nickel, Trail 15 is great, 107 great too

snobuilder

We've never stayed / based out of that area, usually we go further north to the Keewenaw or Michigamme areas but we are thinking of trying it out to save a few hours in the truck. Planning to go up the last week of this month.

Can anyone give me some snow / trail conditions reports for that area and say 100 ish miles in any direction ? Probably will stay at the Americinn in Iron River, I guess it's right on the trail ?

Several day long loops out of IR MI. Conditions are currently good with prospects of even better between now and then.

Just stayed at the American this weekend. Very nice property and will stay there again. Rode mostly south into Wisc. trails were fantastic. Most everything groomed. Make sure you plan for gas stops. Not every town has gas. Seems less traffic there as compared to further west. probably because of less stops on the trail. Most places are burgers and pizza. Couldn't really find a nice supper club.

dfattack

Agree with snobuilder. this is where I usually ride and when conditions are right and I think they are now, you can go north, south east or west. Almost always west and north. It's a very good/centrally located place to base out of and in fact when I'm meeting people on the trail we use that hotel as a meeting point and head west on Trail 2, north up 15 to sidnaw then on to L'anse for lunch/dinner and then back down to IR using 107 on the return trip. That's one loop out of many you can run from there. The most important thing to me and those I ride with is the low traffic in most years compared to anything further west, even on the weekends. You have chosen a good place to use as base camp.

mrsrunningbear

Just stayed at the American this weekend. Very nice property and will stay there again. Rode mostly south into Wisc. trails were fantastic. Most everything groomed. Make sure you plan for gas stops. Not every town has gas. Seems less traffic there as compared to further west. probably because of less stops on the trail. Most places are burgers and pizza. Couldn't really find a nice supper club.

Next time try Alice's right in the middle of town at the stoplight on the north side of US2 it's a great supper club

sjb

Sled out of IR often, and will be on Thursday. Certainly a nice area if there is enough snow. A bit outside of the true UP Snowbelt. Right now there is more than enough. When up there, I either stay at the Americinn, which has a decent breakfast, small, but nice sauna, hot tub and pool. They have been very accommodating through the years. The other place we stay is Lac O Seasons. Very nice cabins with great on site accommodations. However, a bit pricey.

rich_jelinek

Thanks for all the input everybody, I appreciate it. I think we're going to give that area a go since it seems like the conditions are good now and that's not always the case. We can go to some of our usual spots in the mid and east UP around M-28 ( LES snow belt ) the next trip or two.
The Americinn is right on the trail correct ?

lt250rfd

Thanks for all the input everybody, I appreciate it. I think we're going to give that area a go since it seems like the conditions are good now and that's not always the case. We can go to some of our usual spots in the mid and east UP around M-28 ( LES snow belt ) the next trip or two.
The Americinn is right on the trail correct ?

Trail runs right besides it

sr22ger

Must try, Riverside pizza and the pasty corner.

I'll respectfully attempt to direct your attention elsewhere. Riverside pizza is an acquired taste. Sauce is overly salty and the cheese slices they use over the top of the cracker crust is more kraft singles than shredded mozzarella. I do know people who love it though. Pasty's are bland, but work well with some of the other varieties like breakfast or pizza. The hardest part is to find the pasty place open!

Try Scott's subs (Scott is usually down at his Green Bay location now, but the place still is really good), and the olive burger at the Wooden Nickel instead.

1fujifilm

I'll respectfully attempt to direct your attention elsewhere. Riverside pizza is an acquired taste. Sauce is overly salty and the cheese slices they use over the top of the cracker crust is more kraft singles than shredded mozzarella. I do know people who love it though. Pasty's are bland, but work well with some of the other varieties like breakfast or pizza. The hardest part is to find the pasty place open!

Try Scott's subs (Scott is usually down at his Green Bay location now, but the place still is really good), and the olive burger at the Wooden Nickel instead.

Small world.
Scott's in De Pere, WI is like 2 miles from me.

Bear

JeffB

If you are looking for good grub, take 16 down to Felch and try Solberg's. It's a bar/restaurant, but their food is great. Known for Saturday night Prime Rib, all you can eat sirloin, or broasted chicken.

packerlandrider

Just got back from a 94 mile evening ride encompassing Florence (WI), Alvin (WI), and Iron River MI. A few stretches in Florence County were only good, but everything else was very good to mostly excellent, especially Brule & Iron Range trails. Very little traffic for a Friday evening imo.

rmk4ever

If you are looking for good grub, take 16 down to Felch and try Solberg's. It's a bar/restaurant, but their food is great. Known for Saturday night Prime Rib, all you can eat sirloin, or broasted chicken.

This must be the place we stopped at yrs ago, looks like a couple of single wides tied together? I remember it was fantastic, thought it was just a shot n beer place.

sjb

Just returned on a two day, 560 mile jaunt out of Iron River. Out of the 560, 80% were a 9/10 or 10/10. Few areas over by mass city rough, and the grade by tipler/long lake had some 6" studder bumps. Otherwise most areas very good. When there is snow, really like riding out of this area fwiw.