Thoughts on buying a trail or mountain sled based on ski stance for trail riding.

pirate

Wondering how much of a diff there there is between a 42.5" or 41" ski stance when trail riding . I'm a hard core (former moto cross semi pro rider in my younger years lol ) trail / fire road rider and some off trail , but to old to really do much tree picking these days . Looking for thoughts from those that have rode both a lot on trail (mountain sleds ) I ride all upper Wi & UP only . I ask because though I really want to spring order a 600 Assualt next year , I can order a 144' 600 RMK for almost $2000 less . I don't need the Walker Evans shocks as I don't jump much ever . But curious about the trail manners that 1.5" less stance makes or tippyness.. I ride a SKS 700 144' tipped rail now all tricked out but it's getting tired and at almost 9000 miles the motor is aging . So I'm well used to the longer sled on tight twistys & love it with the tipped rails . Thoughts ?? Thx

ezra

the assault is deff more difficult to get to lay over my bud dumped his after 1/2 a season for a rmk.
I have 0 issues riding a narrow mountain sled on the trail deff more noticeable off trail than on.
but every thing u buy now will feel more tippy than your sks

Bradzoo

I think you'll like the Assault or the RMK either are good sleds for the type of riding you say you do the premimum suspension is nice, I have a 2010 RMK Assault, and have loosened up the front springs and narrowed the stance to 41" and its still a chore to carve with it compared to me buddies RMK. and mine doesn't have a sway bar but it does have Walker Evans suspension. My buddies RMK is a 144" and running down the trail is fine you just have to set up for your turns alittle sooner if your are riding hard, he has his ski's set to the wide position and his has a sway bar.

Bradzoo

Last edited:

pirate

Thx for the input , sounds like for my riding style that 1.5" less stance won't make that much a issue . I'm notorious for scraping my knee & elbow on inside right turns I hang off so much . And riding the berm on lefty's .. I rode aAssault for 30 miles last year and the thing was as stiff as my old proX race sled .. And don't need that kinda ride any more .. Fast fireroad and upper UP trails are my fun now days ..
Ride right and tight and stay on the fun flapper when its safe ...

indy_500

If you do 75% plus trail riding get the 42.5" ski stance I narrowed mine to 41" and boy did it make a difference. I can trail it just fine but I'm about 75% offtrail I'd like to go skinnier.

Firecatguy

If you do 75% plus trail riding get the 42.5" ski stance I narrowed mine to 41" and boy did it make a difference. I can trail it just fine but I'm about 75% offtrail I'd like to go skinnier.

its funny to read this....I remeber not soooo long ago that trail sled was IT.....everyone should stay on trail.....hahhaha times change my friend....

pippy_b

Here are my thoughts. For the last 2 years, I was riding a 2012 AC High Country 141 x 2.25. That had the 42" front end and had a sway bar. It was great and quick on the trail and did ok off the trail. This year I bought a new M Limited with the 153 x 2.6, 38in front end and no sway bar. It did pretty darn good on the trails. The fastest I wanted to go on the straight aways was 50-55mph given the large track. It cornered fine and I rode the trails with the hard scratchers down. I have 476 miles on it with hardly any hi-fax wear and no overheating. Now to the fun part. When off trail, this thing is an ANIMAL. It lays over sooooooo much easier than the High Country!! It will go through a ton of POW and carve with ease! It is the funnest sled I have ever purchased.