To Scratch Or Not?

old abe

Qualipieces have great products. I use their jack stands and am very happy with them.
QualiPieces make great products all the way around. Their Ski Wheel kits are top shelf! TrailBlizzer Ice/Snow Scratchers are by far superior to other makes cable, or wire, type scratchers imo.

Last edited:

harvest1121

I did put them on my 850 Skidoo it never over heated but was getting warm. The Sidewinder got warm after Christmas when the GF was riding but I did not have an issue. But will be putting them on this weekend. A friend is putting them on his Sidewinder also.

Thanks to Abe, I put on the Trailblizzers from Qualipieces a couple yrs ago....foolproof.....
loved em and would highly recommend to all of you that have any concerns or doubts.

heckler56

Curious. Where is this 5 mile section? east end or west end? :unsure:
I need to look at my gps tracks on my big boy computer. As I recall about 3/4 the way up 14 you run the road about a mile or so to hop back into woods on the “trail route”, instead, you go left (technically the road is CR 510) a short distance and pick up the trail crossing back over CR 510.

wiharley02

I need to look at my gps tracks on my big boy computer. As I recall about 3/4 the way up 14 you run the road about a mile or so to hop back into woods on the “trail route”, instead, you go left (technically the road is CR 510) a short distance and pick up the trail crossing back over CR 510.
Haven't done the "shortcut" myself but familiar with the area, guessing it's here, where you run CR 510 instead of staying on trail 14 (west only to come back east again and cross the same road). Situated roughly halfway between Marquette and Big Bay.

Attachments

• Trail 14 Screenshot.JPG
    Trail 14 Screenshot.JPG
    187.6 KB · Views: 15

Hoosier

I have them. Was in Ontario/Sudsbury area and a long way back to the truck on a cold morning after a warm day. It was a long day of riding with trying to get off the edge of the trail every so often to try to fight the temp gauge. I haven't had to use them all that much but it's nice when you need them.

I use the doo rail mounted ones on a cat. They do wear down and break but the replacement arms are cheap. I use one at a time because that's all it takes.

600_RMK_144

The truth is...if you need scratchers, then you are riding on or in very poor conditions (ICY/ low snow, road running etc) ...Do they work?...YES..Will I ever buy them or put them on a sled...NO...I will not ride in conditions that will damage my machine, and I avoid running roads at all costs (if possible)....I get it some people just have to ride, and can only go when they can...but, I'll park my sled if the conditions dictate that I'd need scratchers to ride
Picture this... You just spent 24hrs in the truck driving to your bucket list location that you've dreamed about riding since you got your first sled.... You've been waiting for this day for 10yrs. and its finally become a reality. Are you telling me that you'd park your sled because the trails are a bit iced over, thus causing your sled to overheat? I think not. Scratchers serve a purpose and this is just one example where they might become a necessity in order to do what you came to do (aka: Ride that dream location). Just sayin.

Last edited:

Iowarider

Back in the day almost all the sleds came with a 1 inch lug track. Now it seems all the new sleds come with at least a1,25 inch lug track. Scratchers are almost a must to keep tempertures down on some sleds. My SWA runs at 125 degrees with scratchers down at all times I run Duroflex cable scratchers.

old abe

Thanks to Abe, I put on the Trailblizzers from Qualipieces a couple yrs ago....foolproof.....
loved em and would highly recommend to all of you that have any concerns or doubts.
Yep, spot on venturenorth! TrailBlizzers are bullet proof, heavier, coated heavy cable, keyed keeper so as they can't turn, or come loose!

Last edited:

mysledblows

Depends on the conditions but all my sleds have them. Had too many of those cold mornings where everything is froze hard so you need them till it warms up and softens up a bit.

mike1970

155 is realistically not that hard on a snowmobile engine though. Won’t do any damage until you’re north of 200. Polaris almost does more harm than good by letting us stare at that number all day :)
I agree that sometimes looking at that temp reading all day can be consuming, but on my 2015 Polaris 800, DET kicks in at 180 degrees. Normal operating temp is 120-130.

attakman

Picture this... You just spent 24hrs in the truck driving to your bucket list location that you've dreamed about riding since you got your first sled.... You've been waiting for this day for 10yrs. and its finally become a reality. Are you telling me that you'd park your sled because the trails are a bit iced over, thus causing your sled to overheat? I think not. Scratchers serve a purpose and this is just one example where they might become a necessity in order to do what you came to do (aka: Ride that dream location). Just sayin.
I don't have that imaginary scenario...lol...I moved here (to the northwoods) 33 years ago...exactly for that reason...I can ride right out of my yard, anyday, anytime...through the years I have rarely had my sled on the trailer (in fact I don't currently own one)..if conditions suck...I simply don't ride...but you do you ok?

eagle1

Rode Thursday after Christmas. Plenty of snow out of Mercer but was so warm snow was packed pretty good.
Taking grade back temp was 145. Few intersections packed snow on tunnel. Temp finally hit 155, pulled over put scratchers down minute later temp was at 110!! Plenty snow just wasn't getting kicked up it was so packy.
Use Doo rail mounted ones.

wiharley02

Somewhat related though not as huge of a factor of having scratchers or not, I had a doo XS chassis, and they are sensitive to rear spring settings. I think this was even in the manual and maybe mentioned cooling effect, doo wanted the snowflap bottom edge to be within a certain range from the trail. Given the molded curved shape of the snow flap, I think that has an effect of how the snow dust swirls up and recirculates back into the tunnel to help with cooling. I was in the UP once with another rider on a doo in the group and they were having temp light issues. Rider was on the lighter side and the torsion springs were set a little heavier, dropped a setting or two on the torsion spring block to lower the snow flap, still not dragging, and rest of the ride was fine.

I know not a major contributor like scratchers, but distance from snow flap to the trail surface when riding is a small factor.

dfattack

Somewhat related though not as huge of a factor of having scratchers or not, I had a doo XS chassis, and they are sensitive to rear spring settings. I think this was even in the manual and maybe mentioned cooling effect, doo wanted the snowflap bottom edge to be within a certain range from the trail. Given the molded curved shape of the snow flap, I think that has an effect of how the snow dust swirls up and recirculates back into the tunnel to help with cooling. I was in the UP once with another rider on a doo in the group and they were having temp light issues. Rider was on the lighter side and the torsion springs were set a little heavier, dropped a setting or two on the torsion spring block to lower the snow flap, still not dragging, and rest of the ride was fine.

I know not a major contributor like scratchers, but distance from snow flap to the trail surface when riding is a small factor.
Maybe that's why I haven't had a problem :)

the flap on my '22 Mach was dragging on the ground with over 8" of sag from the factory! Now that I've got that setup all figured out maybe I won't have the built in scratcher effect?

whitedust

Maybe that's why I haven't had a problem :)

the flap on my '22 Mach was dragging on the ground with over 8" of sag from the factory! Now that I've got that setup all figured out maybe I won't have the built in scratcher effect?
Sorry I can’t resist lolol THEN BUY SCRATCHERS!!!! 😂😝😎

bayfly

I think the fact that some sleds come with factory installed scratchers means they probably do make a difference. All of my sleds either have factory installed or after market scratchers. I won't ride without them but it definitely depends on the sled and the conditions.