Tomahawk area 2/14

Attak man

Trails took a beating...was surprised at the amount of traffic here with all the fresh snow in the yoop, and the brutal cold here...I realize it's a 3 day weekend for most...but again was surprised....the railroad grade (Hiawatha) was ground to sugar and snirt from nokomis to town..trails were flat and smooth friday...got rough and snirty by saturday.. All things considered the trails have held up well...the cold weather helped. We could really use 3 to 6 fresh inches of snow to help the trails out. The trails get better north and west of nokomis area...but are really turning sugary towards town. Watch yourselves on the lakes...they are drawing nokomis down..so there are ice heaves ..stay next to the markers and barrels if u don't know what u are doing. Also as mentioned before..also there are tons of people ice fishing...its unreal this year...and these rednecks like to use the snowmobile trails to get to their hot spots...causing lots of ruts with their lifted "I have a small pecker" trucks...so becareful.
Overall the trails are in FAIR condition...more snow would make them good to excellent in a hurry. But with 30 degree weather on the way for the end of the week, and no snow in the forecast..im a bit worried at this point...but that can change.
I have to vent a bit here...its been brutally cold up here
and I've seen some really dumb things over the last two weeks...people totally unprepared to ride in these conditions...little kids without proper clothing on old sleds..improper gear, poor helmets, old jackets, sleds with non functioning hand warmers....JUST DUMB STUFF...I always go through my sleds, and make sure they are ready to go..and I am prepared for the conditions I ride in...having a father who was a snowmobile safety instructor taught me many things. I get that some people can't afford a new machine or the "good gear"..I was there my self..you gotta start somewhere (riding old junk)..but when I see a little kid who's miserable, and cold with frostbite on his neck..it really makes me mad. You dont take small children out riding in this weather...its DANGEROUS!!! We have some real brain dead people involved in our sport and it makes me mad....its currently 24 below zero...I just got home frommy ride to post this...and its just nasty out...even with proper gear I was cold...I could go on and on but wont...lose the loud cans, STAY ON THE TRAIL, and most importantly..dress for the conditions...rant over..stay safe everybody!

pclark

Lots of snow brings out lots of people, unfortunately, there is a percentage of them that I would like to fine and take away their sleds for doing the careless, stupid, ridiculous things that are happening out there. The blatant disregard for property owners land this year will definitely cause some trail to be closed.
-36 as I type in Manitowish Waters this morning, no wind though. and trails are very nice up here, hard, flat, and fast!

wiviperman

Thanks for your updates Attak man, I look forward to always reading your posts when I come on here. I'm from southern WI in Rock County but have a place in Price County about 5 miles south of Fifield. I have not rode much by Tomahawk, but plan to ride down that way sometime when I am up there and the conditions are good. Your updates have always been reliable and great.
I agree with the "JUST DUMB STUFF" happening out on the trails! I have been seeing a lot of what I call "Stupidness" lately and it's beyond aggravating. The riding off trail down here in Rock and Walworth counties is bad, there has been trails that the snowmobiles have been out past the Orange Blazer Signs by 2 to 3 widths of the normal trail.
I really hope that these idiots can get their act together and stop ruining for everyone that has "paved the way" for all of us to have great snowmobile trails. If something doesn't change, I'm afraid that all of us will be "doomed".