Tomahawk Trail Update 1-20-20

Attak man

With the recent snowfall, and colder weather...trails have improved...most of the lakes are now marked.

We still have a few wet areas to contend with, and there is some slush on the lakes, but you won't have an issue if you stick close to the markers, as the sleds have been packing down the trails, and some of those slushy areas are freezing up, although a bit rough.

Very heavy traffic this weekend...the hiawatha was rough, and bumpy, both saturday and sunday...especially in and around the nokomis area...however trails were really nice south and east of Tomahawk (especially early in the day, both days)

The 17 trail opened, and is really nice heading south of town, the swamp (near the old hog house) is as good as Ive seen it in years (flat and smooth with no big waterholes)...when u get to Pier street, you'll have to continue south to Highway H, as of Friday, the section of trail heading south west from pier street to HWY E (near the old Pankow's bar) was still closed (I'll check for an update on this.)

We'll have to watch the weather, as we do have rain in the forecast for Thursday (hope they are wrong)...as the trails are being groomed on a regular basis and are very good right now.

My wife and I rode the Tomahawk area on Thursday and Friday. Trails were awesome and very few riders until later on Friday, as expected. Too bad the trail through town by Sara Park has to go down the street again for a couple of blocks. Having the straight shot trail next to the LP company(?) last year was sweet. Can't wait to go back in 2 weeks and ride the great trails there again!

tjmaxx

I stayed in rhinelander this weekend with the family. We went out Sunday morning/afternoon and almost every trail was smooth. We went back out Sunday night trail 8 west of town and it was terrible. Worked out okay though because my daughter fell asleep on my sled so we turned around and went back. We got on boom lake and it didn't seem to be marked at all. Lots of slush, I'm sure it was safe as there were a lot of sleds using the lake but a little scary to say the least

jwmcatman

I stayed in rhinelander this weekend with the family. We went out Sunday morning/afternoon and almost every trail was smooth. We went back out Sunday night trail 8 west of town and it was terrible. Worked out okay though because my daughter fell asleep on my sled so we turned around and went back. We got on boom lake and it didn't seem to be marked at all. Lots of slush, I'm sure it was safe as there were a lot of sleds using the lake but a little scary to say the least
I had a group at my house in Rhinelander Thursday till Sunday, rode west Friday to Reel Em in? West on willow slough, 61 miles for first stop. Took 8 most of the way, half of the airport trail through rhinelander was horrible, maybe groomer could not get through that part because of swamp. The only issues we had all weekend, 220 miles, was where groomers could not get through swamps, that was rough but not much groomers can do. Very good riding for sure. Groomers did a great job.

harvest1121

Rhinelander around the airport was the worse trail in the last 2500 miles for me must of been the swamps so nothing they can do. Just waited for the rest of the group watching a few planes land

Attak man

Rhinelander around the airport was the worse trail in the last 2500 miles for me must of been the swamps so nothing they can do. Just waited for the rest of the group watching a few planes land

That is the worst trail in the entire northwoods passage trail system...year in and year out..I purposely don't go to Rhinelander using that route because of it...nothing we can do about it...swamps, and tons of rocks.

sjb

I had a group at my house in Rhinelander Thursday till Sunday, rode west Friday to Reel Em in? West on willow slough, 61 miles for first stop. Took 8 most of the way, half of the airport trail through rhinelander was horrible, maybe groomer could not get through that part because of swamp. The only issues we had all weekend, 220 miles, was where groomers could not get through swamps, that was rough but not much groomers can do. Very good riding for sure. Groomers did a great job.

Really enjoy riding that area. Nothing wrong with Reel em in, often have a good hot sandwich special. But if not too busy, Buck Snort Resort is a great stop as well.

sledhd1

Headed out of Twin Bay on Lake Nokomis on Sunday of last weekend crossed the Lake to Kelleys Fire Lane and up to 8 west out to Buck Snort the trail was fantastic especialy for a holiday weekend went around the Willow and it was perfect I have been snowmobling this area for 49 years and I could not believe how good it was for a Holiday weekend with a ton of traffic. the groomers were working hard Saturday night

Attak man

Received around 3 inches of snow since yesterday, and still snowing lightly....rode from Arbor Vitae, to Irma yesterday...was decent overall...rough from Minocqua to Harshaw..nice from Harshaw to Nokomis...rough from Nokomis through Town...but excellent (freshly groomed) from the South end of Mohawksin, along S past the park and ride, and not a single track on it from there to Irma...Beautiful out last night with the light snow.

Attak man

It just keeps SNOWING...6 inches since Wednesday, here in the Tomahawk area...Trails are beautiful...but there is already heavy traffic hitting the trails today...should be a great weekend to ride.