Tomahawk Update....2-12-15

Attak man

Well....the snow that was expected was a flop....we only got 2 inches....better than nothing, but not what we were hoping for....at least the bare parking lots, and road areas have some snow cover now.
However...trails are actually in pretty good shape...Everywhere the clubs have groomed are flat, mostly white and smooth...it's amazing to me how well the trails have held up with the lack of snow, heavy traffic and warm weather. The Hiawatha is still a bit snirty in town....it gets better north of town..just past lake nokomis...in fact it's very good all the way to the bearskin (and the bearskin is very good all the way to hazelhurst)...you need to watch for icy corners in the woods (so slow down)...there are still a few thin spots...mainly in the pine forested areas...but if you head east...west or northwest of Tomahawk...and hit the wooded trails...I think you will be surprised how good they are right now...it's pretty rough on the lakes...so don't get crazy..there are still a few rough spots in the swampy areas north of the hog house in irma...so use caution there....otherwise..I would rate the trails as GOOD CONDITION right now...the cold weather (it's below zero this morning), and a little snow have really helped the trails..anywhere that has been groomed is flat and smooth....conditions can change with heavy traffic...so keep that in mind....I can't stress enough to be careful on the lakes, and to watch the icy corners.

Should be a good weekend of riding...any extra snow we get will just make it that much better!!!

fastwilly

Thanks for the report it is nice to have someone besides the camber of commerce report if you know what I mean. we have a place up by swamp lake and have been out every weekend and are surprised at how well the trails are holding up . sure you have you spots but over all good . nice work to the club volunteers . will be up this weekend too. do your snow dance

rinkerman

We were in Tomahawk Saturday & agree. Town was in desperate need of snow. Trails were very good, much better than you would expect considering how bad town was.

Swampy

All trails are in Fair to Good condition for Northwoods Passage and as far as I know ... surrounding areas also. I was out all day today in the groomer because I knew I wouldn't be seeing too much traffic. There is still enough snow to fill holes and make things flat again. Lots of traffic again last weekend but with the cold temps and wind they held up nicely!! The Hiawatha/Bearskin in town and North is getting bare but it's still not horrible. There are some corners in the woods that are thin and icy but overall the woods trails are in good shape. Expecting what they are saying to be an inch of snow on Friday. Maybe this is our 6" dumping we're looking for!! Come on up and help us do the Snow Dance. Hope this helps.

catalac

All trails are in Fair to Good condition for Northwoods Passage and as far as I know ... surrounding areas also. I was out all day today in the groomer because I knew I wouldn't be seeing too much traffic. There is still enough snow to fill holes and make things flat again. Lots of traffic again last weekend but with the cold temps and wind they held up nicely!! The Hiawatha/Bearskin in town and North is getting bare but it's still not horrible. There are some corners in the woods that are thin and icy but overall the woods trails are in good shape. Expecting what they are saying to be an inch of snow on Friday. Maybe this is our 6" dumping we're looking for!! Come on up and help us do the Snow Dance. Hope this helps.

Thanks for update. I think we are heading that way next week.