Tomahawk update 2-15-23

attakman

Lincoln County has closed zones 2, 3 and 4...due to deteriorating condition...only zone 1 is open at this point.
The rain and warm weather did alot of damage. Right now there is standing water on lake nokomis (and many of the area lakes)..
it's an absolute mess...hard to walk as most sidewalks and driveways are icy and slick.
And so we wait ...as we watch another nice snowstorm slide far to the south of us (the third one in a row)...if there is any bright spot...its that there is alot of snow in the wooded areas especially north and west of Tomahawk....and even with the water on top of the ice, there is still plenty of thick ice (on nokomis)
We simply need a good snowstorm, and some cooler weather to bring things back...unfortunately the long range forecast is not looking good at this point...our area clubs, (Oneida County) are asking riders NOT to ride until conditions improve, to try and preserve what little base is out there....it is after all only the middle of February, and our easements are good until the end of March, so we'd hate to close early, and then get a huge snowstorm...because once we close them...they will be closed for the season....so its a waiting game..nothing good to say at this point.

hermie

Why would they have to be closed for good? I remember reading that they passed something that will now allow the clubs to reopen after they do there own inspection once the trails have passed the county inspections for the season. I thought that was the point of passing that so they can close trails if needed and then reopen when weather permits.

hermie

Checked out the land o web cam looks like the base is still there. Looks like a icy rock solid base but needs snow on top. I am surprised there is any base left at all so now if we can get some snow on top.

attakman

Why would they have to be closed for good? I remember reading that they passed something that will now allow the clubs to reopen after they do there own inspection once the trails have passed the county inspections for the season. I thought that was the point of passing that so they can close trails if needed and then reopen when weather permits.
Honestly...it's a pain in the A$$ to close and then reopen, ...it's easier to just keep them open as long as we can, and advise riders of the conditions...in Oneida County we don't close club by club, or use zones (like Lincoln County, which has more private farm land in zones 2,3,and 4)...it's a county wide decision effecting multiple clubs...and remember there are areas with more snow, and or better conditions.....you are right they did pass that and it's mostly being utilized by the clubs in central and southern Wisconsin where there is more farm land to protect

attakman

Can you post any pictures??
What would you like pictures of? Brown trails?, standing water on the lakes? What I described is what it is....we are asking rider's to stay off the trails until we get more snow...I suggest going further north if you have to ride this weekend...but know this...even the Yoop has stopped grooming in some areas...the rain, and warm weather really hurt us (northern Wisconsin, and the Yoop)...my sled is parked...it's not good out there, and we don't need to tear up what little base we have.....it's a total gut punch to watch Milwaukee, and Madison get pounded with snow they hate and don't want (3rd system in a row)

whitedust

SE WI you get a little snow , a little rain and a whole lot of warm weather. Tomahawk had a very good run compared to us. Last year in comparison we had the Fox River frozen solid to run for miles and we thought that was bad but at least it was cold. This year constant 40s and sun is difficult to take but it is what it is. This current storm won’t help much right back to 40s and sun. Welcome to our winter wonderland🤷‍♂️

indy_500

SE WI you get a little snow , a little rain and a whole lot of warm weather. Tomahawk had a very good run compared to us. Last year in comparison we had the Fox River frozen solid to run for miles and we thought that was bad but at least it was cold. This year constant 40s and sun is difficult to take but it is what it is. This current storm won’t help much right back to 40s and sun. Welcome to our winter wonderland🤷‍♂️
I wouldn’t consider 5 weeks for tomahawk a “good run” that area is usually a lock for 8+ weeks a year.

SHOOT2KILL

I wouldn’t consider 5 weeks for tomahawk a “good run” that area is usually a lock for 8+ weeks a year.
Had a good run in Tomahawk all last season...I took this pic mid March 2022...Tr 17s...Just south of town...Trail system was closed for the season about a week later

Attachments

• IMG_0294 (1).JPG
    IMG_0294 (1).JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 22

hermie

Honestly...it's a pain in the A$$ to close and then reopen, ...it's easier to just keep them open as long as we can, and advise riders of the conditions...in Oneida County we don't close club by club, or use zones (like Lincoln County, which has more private farm land in zones 2,3,and 4)...it's a county wide decision effecting multiple clubs...and remember there are areas with more snow, and or better conditions.....you are right they did pass that and it's mostly being utilized by the clubs in central and southern Wisconsin where there is more farm land to protect
I know that Vilas open as a county but that is about all I know about it. I was a member of Lake Tom sno fleas when we use to stay that way once we bought a house in St. Germain we joined the BoBoen. I have never really had a chance to talk to Jim our trail boss who is also trail boss of Oneida county. I remember one year I believe it may have been March of 13 all trails were closed and a the biggest snow of the year came through Price county opened the next day while Oneida and Vilas didn't open. I believe they got around 14". So we stayed in Phillips and ride in Price county.

maverick

What would you like pictures of? Brown trails?, standing water on the lakes? What I described is what it is....we are asking rider's to stay off the trails until we get more snow...I suggest going further north if you have to ride this weekend...but know this...even the Yoop has stopped grooming in some areas...the rain, and warm weather really hurt us (northern Wisconsin, and the Yoop)...my sled is parked...it's not good out there, and we don't need to tear up what little base we have.....it's a total gut punch to watch Milwaukee, and Madison get pounded with snow they hate and don't want (3rd system in a row)
Yes...Maybe it will keep people off the trails.
Remember a picture is worth a 1000 words.

attakman

Yes...Maybe it will keep people off the trails.
Remember a picture is worth a 1000 words.

Doubt it...you should see the people coming up here, trying to buy ice scratchers (like that's gonna help riding through frozen mud..lol)..I had a guy tell me today..."it's a 3 day weekend...we can only ride this weekend"...and that was that..he and his group were gonna ride anyway....(even though, Oneida, and Vilas County snowmobile clubs are advising against it, due to safety reasons...low snow, icy trails and corners etc)..No skin off my nose..I sell carbides, slides and wheels for a living..lol...(but ok...one picture coming up)

attakman

Hodag trails posted these pics on facebook today (I'm at work so I can't get shots of our trails...but this is how they look, and yes...people are still out riding)

rhinelander 2-17-23-2.jpg