Tomahawk update 2/22

Attak man

Very heavy traffic took a toll on the trails over the weekend...most of the trails were in fair condition (some good, some bad)...However..even with the warmer weather things are looking brighter...last night we received 2 1/2 inches of wet snow, (was only expecting a dusting) and it really helped the trails out...then tonight I was adjusting my suspension (and tinkering with my clutches)...and all of the sudden it starts snowing..big, wet flakes..got another inch and a half...again unexpected.. (the weather guys said dusting to an inch)..so I got done with my tinkering..and went for a quick spin...and its really nice out there (far better than it was over the weekend)..everywhere that had been groomed now has fresh snow on top...even the railroad grade was much better....AND...we are supposed to get another two to three inches of wet snow tomorrow ...if we get 3 inches the trails should be really nice. The nice thing with the warmer weather is when it snows its that wet good stuff...plus some of these trails were rock hard with little lube...hopefully the trails will soften up a bit without losing too much base....there is also more snow in the forecast for the weekend. At this point we will take what we can get. But things are looking much better now.

old abe

Very heavy traffic took a toll on the trails over the weekend...most of the trails were in fair condition (some good, some bad)...However..even with the warmer weather things are looking brighter...last night we received 2 1/2 inches of wet snow, (was only expecting a dusting) and it really helped the trails out...then tonight I was adjusting my suspension (and tinkering with my clutches)...and all of the sudden it starts snowing..big, wet flakes..got another inch and a half...again unexpected.. (the weather guys said dusting to an inch)..so I got done with my tinkering..and went for a quick spin...and its really nice out there (far better than it was over the weekend)..everywhere that had been groomed now has fresh snow on top...even the railroad grade was much better....AND...we are supposed to get another two to three inches of wet snow tomorrow ...if we get 3 inches the trails should be really nice. The nice thing with the warmer weather is when it snows its that wet good stuff...plus some of these trails were rock hard with little lube...hopefully the trails will soften up a bit without losing too much base....there is also more snow in the forecast for the weekend. At this point we will take what we can get. But things are looking much better now.

Thanks for the very good news Attac man! Please keep us up to date.

liv2ride

Thanks for the update Attac man! I was up over the weekend and I agree with your report 100%
I'm really surprised by the amount of snow the area got. They were only predicting an inch or so. I'm planning to head up again this weekend. Hopefully the sun stays behind the clouds!

sjb

Thanks Attac man for your reports. To add to it:

Rode Friday through Sunday in the area (Base camp out of Cedar Falls, willow flowage to be exact). Put on 300 miles with family and for the amount of actual snow, pretty impressed with the trails. By Saturday afternoon, they were rough, just as one would expect. There was a lot of traffic! Trail near Lac Du Flambeau sucked as usual. Areas over by Park falls were some good, some needed improvement. The trails in that area were flat, but a lot of stones, assuming from being pulled up from grooming, and lack of snow. Dipped into Lincoln county as well, mostly good with a few rough spots near Somo Lake. By far, however, the Little Rice trails were the best! Even Sunday morning after the pounding, at least 1/2 of their trail system was back to groomed shape, and mostly flat and fast!

Attak man

Thanks Attac man for your reports. To add to it:

Rode Friday through Sunday in the area (Base camp out of Cedar Falls, willow flowage to be exact). Put on 300 miles with family and for the amount of actual snow, pretty impressed with the trails. By Saturday afternoon, they were rough, just as one would expect. There was a lot of traffic! Trail near Lac Du Flambeau sucked as usual. Areas over by Park falls were some good, some needed improvement. The trails in that area were flat, but a lot of stones, assuming from being pulled up from grooming, and lack of snow. Dipped into Lincoln county as well, mostly good with a few rough spots near Somo Lake. By far, however, the Little Rice trails were the best! Even Sunday morning after the pounding, at least 1/2 of their trail system was back to groomed shape, and mostly flat and fast!
I had really good trails in Lac du flambeau early saturday.....(6am)...it was really cold...18 below zero...I froze my hands. I usually run further south and west into the forest riders trails (towards buckskin lake), then over to the 10/12/7 trails (7 is one of my favs, as is 5)...you have to remember northern Hornshoe in Flambeau is a tiny club, compared to what is around them. I have had really good trails out there

Attak man

UPDATE from NWS:

Florence, WI
Forest, WI
Northern Marinette County, WI
Oneida, WI
Vilas, WI
...SNOW EXPECTED TONIGHT... .A vigorous but fast moving storm system will sweep across the area tonight. Snow from the storm will develop during the early evening, continue for most of the night, and then diminish late at night or early Wednesday morning. The snow could fall heavily for brief periods. Some freezing drizzle is also possible during lulls in the snowfall. ...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM THIS EVENING TO 6 AM CST WEDNESDAY... * WHAT...Snow expected. Some freezing drizzle possible. A total snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches expected, with 3 to 5 inches near the Upper Michigan border. * WHERE...Vilas, Oneida, Forest, Florence and Northern Marinette County Counties. * WHEN...From 6 PM this evening to 6 AM CST Wednesday. * IMPACTS...Plan on slippery road conditions.

Attak man

The railroad grade was in bad shape tonight...45 degrees with direct sunlight really caused it to deteriorate during the day...it was good last night and this morning...but heavy traffic and warm conditions just don't help....I was surprised how quickly it went from good to bad...but its getting to be that time of the year...conditions will vary due to weather and traffic...and can change rapidly...on a better note...it started snowing, and its good wet stuff...hopefully we'll get enough to improve the trails once again...I'll u know how they look tomorrow morning (I'm gonna ride into work)

Attak man

4 plus inches of wet heavy snow over night...rode into work...the railroad grade is better this morning...FAIR condition, and definately rideable...but it won't last with warmer weather, will probably be toast by noon saturday, so plan your rides accordingly. The wooded trails should be really nice with the wet snow...but be careful on the lakes...stay next to the barrels and you will be ok...lots of heaves on Nokomis (off the trail)...Your best bet for good riding is still north and west of Tomahawk towards the pier willow region, and price county. The harrison hills should be improved with the fresh snow as well.

Attak man

Unfortunately...the Hiawatha (railroad grade) is deteriorating due to warm weather, and heavy traffic..I have to rate it as fair to poor with snirt, gravel, and ice There just wasn't much of a base on it this year...and it's not holding up........some of the pine forested trails are very thin as well...That being said there still some nice trails out there...especially north and west of Lake Nokomis, towards pier willow region and Price County. Wish I had better news, but mother nature is no cooperating this year...the long range forecast doesn't look good....so u better ride when u can

Attak man

Btw....the Harrison area is awesome right now..recently groomed...might be worth your while to head east of Tomahawk towards Elcho (through the Harrison Hills).