Tomahawk Update 2/27

Attak man

ICY, and real TIGHT out there....trails are very nice out in the wooded areas, However, corners are ICY...SLOW DOWN!!!! Lakes are also rough, and very slick in spots ...USE CAUTION ON THE LAKES!!! (especially if you are non studded)...I'm not seeing any slush on any lakes Ive been on..but it's been cold, and everything froze up tight again...some reports of overheating due to lack of lube on some of these trails...again...not due to a lack of snow, just super hard packed and icy...hoping with the warmer temps this weekend things will loosen up a bit. We could always use more snow, and anything we get from now on out will only extend the season. The hiawatha (railroad grade) has been getting murdered every weekend this year...just know that if we have heavy traffic, it won't be as nice in the evening as it is in the morning...just extreme traffic on it this year (most ive seen in years)

This weekend should be VERY GOOD...trails are all groomed, and FLAT...just about any direction you head from town....road crossings are bare, and any trails that run along roads are also bare...but once you get out of town...they are nice.

Again just be cautious, it's very icy in some corners...play dumb games, and you'll win dumb prizes...tree bark doesn't taste very good.

If i might add...it's nice to see people using hand signals, and getting over and letting faster riders/groups by...however, far too many people are riding down the middle of the trail, and aren't getting over...I had several near misses last weekend...I actually clicked skis with some knucklehead, and I was as far to the right as I could go, without going off trail...PLEASE STAY TO THE RIGHT!!! besides, the middle is the roughest part of the trail.

This should be another good riding weekend...be safe and enjoy it.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
You sure give some great reports B. Always the straight story and to the point. If I were someone coming up and wondering what to expect, you give a great idea. Thanks for covering your area so well. Hope some of the local pitstops are keeping you "well watered"! I'm sure you are contributing a lot to the reason why folks go there.

-John

Attak man

Well thanks John...I enjoy it, and yes, it's been a great winter up here...busy, busy, busy....the wife tends to frown upon me getting "watered"...but it still happens once in awhile.....lol

sjb

Great report again. And I thought last weekend was "tight". I am hoping to do one more ride up there next Friday and Saturday if the trails hold up. We have a cabin right off the woods trail and almost don't need to head into any town, other than a place to find gas. So hoping, even with the warmup, maybe one more weekend. Either way, no complaints on the season at 1500 miles, and that was with 3 weekends in Italy in Jan/Feb!

Attak man

Trails are taking a hit...there will still be decent riding in the wooded areas...but getting there is going to be an issue...roads are bare, the railroad grade is trashed...and the lakes have little to no lubrication right now...it did soften up a bit Saturday, after a couple of days of tight, hard, icy trails...it was 6 below zero yesterday morning...but got up to 38 with bright sunshine, and today already its 41 and sunny.
Bottomline is...unless we get some fresh snow, it may be over. The forecast doesnt look promising with warm temps, and little to no precipitation...dont be surprised if clubs start closing trails this week.
The last 3 weeks we have only received 2 inches of snow, and frankly it's been pounded, and worked to death...its like sugar in and around towns, with very icy sections, and corners...there are even areas on the hiawatha that are bare (mud, and snirt), especially in and around lake nokomis...I'm hoping for a couple more weekends to ride...but it's not looking very promising at this point...this may be my last report for the year, unless conditions change (certainly if the club closes the trails, I will post it here)