TOP END REBUILD FOR A 600SDI REV

saber

Ok, have been putting it off all summer. Time to get to it. Can I pull the cylinders w/o removing the engine from the chassis?

I have a shop locally that says yes and the dealer where I bought it said no.

Also who makes a good complete top end kit? I am assuming gaskets, pistons, rings etc should be all I need. The engine has 110/110 compression and runs fine. Just time to freshen it up.

S

skylar

Yes you can do it with the motor in the chassis. The cageless needle bearings ARE A PAIN IN THE AZZ, but, take your time, and it will turn out alright. I bought the gaskets from my Doo dealer, and the pistons and rings from Cudney Racing.

ezra

I think your local dealer needs to be taken off your shoping list.find a new dealer who is not out to scare you in to giving them a grand or what ever thay charge for a few hr project.

S

skylar

A little trick I used when I did mine, and my brothers, was to spread a very thin layer of grease inside the connecting rod where the wrist pin slides through. It worked great on mine, but on my brothers I still dropped one of those little bastages down below the crank. We got it out no problem, but, dang what a pain!

saber

Thanks guys,

Skylar you are one step ahead of me as that was what I was planning on doing.

I have done my dirt bikes before but am a little nervous doind the sled with the EFI and such but I think I am going to give it a try in the next few weekends. The thought of having a vaccuum leak and causing a burn down though is scary

S

skylar

The injectors pull out very hard! At least mine did, swear to god I thought I was going to break them or something. Have patience, and keep wiggling and pulling. LOL.