Tough Sledding at Ski Doo

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
North America's warmest winter on record put a chill on snowmobile sales at BRP Inc., which saw profits plummet last quarter as a result.
"I have been in the business for a long time and saw several challenging seasons. But it's the first time that I've seen such difficult conditions," said CEO José Boisjoli. "For us, it's a bad winter."
The Ski-Doo maker plans to cut snowmobile production by 30 per cent this year due to the build-up of inventory languishing in retailers' stockrooms across Canada and the United States.
Profits fell 48.5 per cent year over year in the three months ended Jan. 31, the Valcourt, Que.-based company reported.

BRP posted net income of $188.2 million for the quarter versus $365.1 million a year earlier.
Seasonal product sales shrank by more than a quarter, "mainly on snowmobile due to unfavorable winter conditions," the company said in its earnings release Thursday. The decrease helped drag down total revenue 12.5 per cent to $2.69 billion from $3.08 billion the year before.
Overstocked inventories also resulted from late shipments of seasonal products the previous year — caused by supply chain kinks — meaning dealers had less need to buy new ones from BRP last year, it said.
Nonetheless, Boisjoli remained upbeat about the treaded, two-ski machines — the original product of Bombardier Inc., from which BRP was spun off in 2003.
"We'll bounce back after," the chief executive said.
"The industry is quite stable. But it remains that we're happy to be more diversified than 20 years ago," he added, pointing to other product lines such as side-by-sides, an off-road vehicle that enjoyed high sales in the company's fourth quarter.
The warmer weather may even be prompting earlier-than-usual purchases of those powersport products.
"Anecdotally, we've had some dealers say, 'You know what, my snowmobile business has slowed down significantly in February, March, but consumers are walking in and buying (off-road vehicle) products instead.'"
Yahoo Finance

SHOOT2KILL

Smart move...imo...Polaris needs to re-evaluate their current situation also...Massive amount of leftover sleds sitting at dealers collecting dust...There's one dealer in particular I know of in Mn that has over 400 leftover 23/24 Poo sleds in their inventory...Then you have to wonder whats going thru the minds of corporate Textron regarding Arctic Cat...Documented production numbers for the 2024 model year were 3600 sleds...2900 for USA...700 for Canada...They also have a substantial leftover inventory here in the US...Recently I counted over 200 Cat leftovers just in Wi...Some local Cat dealers haven't gotten the memo yet about trying to sell off their leftovers...Here in Wi I can buy a new 2024 Doo 850 for substantially less money than I can buy a new Catalyst 600 for...

Last edited:

hermie

I have been looking to see if I can find a decent deal on a mxz blizzard package 600r left over. For some reason doo is giving way better discounts on 850's than 600's. Maybe more 850 laying around 🤷. I just don't need an 850 and really don't want one. I ride with my wife and 90% in Vilas. We normally cruise 40 to 50 mph so that is the sweet spot for a 600. Plus 600 has more then enough power to make me smile. The 850are within a few hundred dollars of a 600 rite now. Also shoot 2 kill can you give the name of the Polaris dealer with all the left overs? A friend of mine is looking for a left over Polaris.

whitedust

I have been looking to see if I can find a decent deal on a mxz blizzard package 600r left over. For some reason doo is giving way better discounts on 850's than 600's. Maybe more 850 laying around 🤷. I just don't need an 850 and really don't want one. I ride with my wife and 90% in Vilas. We normally cruise 40 to 50 mph so that is the sweet spot for a 600. Plus 600 has more then enough power to make me smile. The 850are within a few hundred dollars of a 600 rite now. Also shoot 2 kill can you give the name of the Polaris dealer with all the left overs? A friend of mine is looking for a left over Polaris.
Just buy the 850 better bang for the $ and resale value than a 600. You can ride the 850 like a 600 what’s the difference?

indy_500

Kens in Green Bay has 24 blizzard 600 137” for $12,400. $199 doc fee plus tax. I had money down on a 24 blizzard 850 137” for $13,200 and a $9000 trade in offer from the salesman, but the manager vetoed the trade offer the following day because he didn’t want to take on trades, and was at $7000. I passed… Will revisit in the fall, if there’s still leftovers available, and I’d sell mine privately.

hermie

Just buy the 850 better bang for the $ and resale value than a 600. You can ride the 850 like a 600 what’s the difference?
That had crossed my mind I just know at the pace I ride the 600 is in it's happy place. I have also owned quite few ski doo 600's and they have been bullet proo for me. I don't know at this point may just end going with an 850 as you are getting a much better deal on the 850.

hermie

Kens in Green Bay has 24 blizzard 600 137” for $12,400. $199 doc fee plus tax. I had money down on a 24 blizzard 850 137” for $13,200 and a $9000 trade in offer from the salesman, but the manager vetoed the trade offer the following day because he didn’t want to take on trades, and was at $7000. I passed… Will revisit in the fall, if there’s still leftovers available, and I’d sell mine privately.
Indy you have a 600 and 850 notice a much difference in gas mileage between the 2. Do you ride a lot harder than your wife? I don't ride like I use 2 so my wife can see me at all times.

indy_500

Indy you have a 600 and 850 notice a much difference in gas mileage between the 2. Do you ride a lot harder than your wife? I don't ride like I use 2 so my wife can see me at all times.
My 850 actually gets slightly better mileage, 17-18, because I don’t have to use as much throttle to ride at the pace we do. She gets 16-17. I use much more oil than her 600 does though. We definitely are NOT speed demons when riding together, a 600 would definitely suffice, but every once and awhile when I can grab a handful of 850 throttle it puts a big smile on my face. One thing to keep in mind though, the 850 is nearly 20 lbs heavier. I did take one trip with the guys last year and my fuel mileage did take a big hit though.

whitedust

That had crossed my mind I just know at the pace I ride the 600 is in it's happy place. I have also owned quite few ski doo 600's and they have been bullet proo for me. I don't know at this point may just end going with an 850 as you are getting a much better deal on the 850.
Might want to try an Enduro 130 hp 900t 4s has eco , standard and sport modes use best mode for type of riding. Idk if doo running deals on Enduros but also has adjustable heated seat and adjustable riser. I bought mine with ice iceripper track high adjustable windshield and standard air ride. You will have a 4s a lot longer than a 2s. My enduro 900t is a 150hp coming off a Yamaha xtx Apex at 165 hp prolly go with the 130 next time as thinking lately that less is more. Probably get 20 mpg at your speeds in standard eco 20+

hermie

Might want to try an Enduro 130 hp 900t 4s has eco , standard and sport modes use best mode for type of riding. Idk if doo running deals on Enduros but also has adjustable heated seat and adjustable riser. I bought mine with ice iceripper track high adjustable windshield and standard air ride. You will have a 4s a lot longer than a 2s. My enduro 900t is a 150hp coming off a Yamaha xtx Apex at 165 hp prolly go with the 130 next time as thinking lately that less is more. Probably get 20 mpg at your speeds in standard eco 20+
I have been taking a look at the 900t seems like a nice little engine. Sure would be nice if they would get some kind of eps on there 4 strokes. I would get for the wife then 2 but being she is only 5'2 125 pounds all the turning we do in Vilas would wear her arms out a lot quicker. We average over 2500 miles a year and last year we did over 4000 miles and with the price of sleds be nice to have a 4 stroke.

hermie

My 850 actually gets slightly better mileage, 17-18, because I don’t have to use as much throttle to ride at the pace we do. She gets 16-17. I use much more oil than her 600 does though. We definitely are NOT speed demons when riding together, a 600 would definitely suffice, but every once and awhile when I can grab a handful of 850 throttle it puts a big smile on my face. One thing to keep in mind though, the 850 is nearly 20 lbs heavier. I did take one trip with the guys last year and my fuel mileage did take a big hit though.
Thank you that is some useful information. I have some thinking to do. 🤔

indy_500

From what I’ve read on dootalk, the guys with the 900T (130hp) are only getting 15-18.

pclark

From what I’ve read on dootalk, the guys with the 900T (130hp) are only getting 15-18.
I have same, 900 Ace, 4 stroke, getting 20 mph consistently but I don’t ride like I used to. I can still keep up with most, just like to ride in my comfort zone.

indy_500

I have same, 900 Ace, 4 stroke, getting 20 mph consistently but I don’t ride like I used to. I can still keep up with most, just like to ride in my comfort zone.
900T is turboed. 900 ace non turbo (which is what you have) gets nearly 10mpg better. We got mid 20s consistently with our 2014 120” shorty, was awesome at the pump.

Overall, I was disappointed in the fuel economy numbers I’ve seen posted on the 130hp 900T , as it could possibly have been a consideration for us in the future, but no mileage benefit over Doos 2 stroke offerings. I also think the electronic throttle is fantastic for women and teenagers, just not sure I could run one on my personal sled… maybe I’d get used to it who knows…

Really hoping Doo releases a 650-680cc motor to compete with Polaris’ 650 (although the newer 600r etec has almost identical hp as Poo 650). I would like to see this motor with a similar build to the 850 with a lubed crank and not the sealed isoflex bearings the 600s currently have (major reason the 600s use such little oil compared to an 850). Would also like to see Shot start brought into their trail lineup for weight savings. I’d prefer this with a rope to be the “standard” and for those who want Electric start to have to pay extra (or have it standard in luxury or trail specific models like the enduro, blizzard, etc)

Last edited:

chunk06

Polaris is the same as Doo right now with the 650 being close to the same price as the 850's. my wife really wanted a 650 but decided to try a 850 out. Good deals right now, we got about $5100 off a XC850 with two years of warranty. I tried for a month or more negotiating on slightly used on Marketplace, glad I waited because we got a new for same or less.

whitedust

My enduro 900t 150 gets well over 20 mpg in eco only use eco for stand up or low speed riding under 50 easy riding. Most of the time I’m in standard only use sport for high speed UP grades. Imo it depends on how you ride and what modes used. I didn’t think I would use the different modes at all just leave in sport but found them convenient for gas conservation and to save my aching shoulders. No use straining arms and shoulders when just out for a putt putt in Vilas. I also dislike sealed bearings had problems with them in the past and an expensive problem if you freeze a crank. The 850 oil to crank is a much better design and worth every penny

indy_500

. I also dislike sealed bearings had problems with them in the past and an expensive problem if you freeze a crank. The 850 oil to crank is a much better design and worth every penny
Agreed. It’s crazy how well the design holds up for the most part in the 600 platform (unlike the 800s) but I’d love to see them revamp a new motor similar to the 850s. 650-680, 140 horsepower, I’d be the first one at the dealers door to snowcheck the next day LOL