Towing in the Rockies

saltyg

So this Friday we take off for our first ever two week camping trip: Rocky Mountain NP, Grand Teton and Yellowstone. As we will be pulling our 26' travel trailer thru the mountians for the first time I am worried a bit. I had the 1/2 ton truck prep'd by checking brakes, rear axle fluid, tranmission fluid, tires etc plus the running gear on the trailer (brakes and bearings repack).
Just wondering if I missed anything......

scott_b

Depending on the age of the vehicle get the cooling system checked and make sure the fan is working correctly. Remember not to ride your brakes on long down hill runs. I haven't been out there much but I have seen brakes give out...

Polarice

How did the trip go? We were at RMNP the week of July 24th. Got married in Estes Park. I pull a trailer too. Not that big. You just have to give it a little more gas and down shift lower!

L

lenny

vehicle with a 6 speed trans would be real nice in the mtns. I had one and regret selling,,,story of my life

ezra

any one have tire chains for the big parking lots?
wont go with out any more u can get snowed in and be F, ed not ez to pull a big 24ft enclosed out of a lot with 2 feet or more of snow, and they may not plow for a week .