Towing With a Lifted Truck

moose822

I just bought a 2014 Silverado 1500 (5.3L V8) and intend to have a 6" lift and 35" tires installed in the next week. What I am looking for is some information / advice as I have never owned a lifted truck before. This truck will primarily be used for towing a Baja Outlaw short distances and a 25' aluminum enclosed stealth snowmobile trailer (5000 lbs) from Northern Illinois to the UP 3 or 4 times a year. Does the lift add any additional towing concerns? If so what are they? What is the best method for correcting the rear end droop caused by the weight of the trailer? Not sure I want to go the air bag route, is an add a leaf sufficient? Any leads on a place to get the lift installed in the greater Rockford, IL area would be welcomed as well.

lt250rfd

traction bars, add a leaf, make sure your hitch is drop down to keep trailer level. bigger tires gonna drop the fuel mileage. depending on tow weight and bigger tires might watch your gearing, gonna put a bit more load on trans.

700classic

Go with the air bags. What will be left of the original ride quality will be made worse with add a leaf, plus the stance of the truck will jacked in the rear. Air bags, load the truck, pump them up. Unload the truck, deflate them, stance is back where it should be. If your spending the money to modify the truck, a few more dollars for the air bags you'll hardly notice.

chad66

Keep in mind that those bigger and wider tires are not good on snow and ice, especially with a light 1/2 ton. If you want to keep some type of ride quality you will want to do air bags. Depending on the lift you go with, it may be stiffer than stock and nothing but a drop hitch will be needed.

Chad@M&M

snoeatr

A drop receiver is about it. The wide tires will not be good in snow you may want stock wheels for winter. I pull with a 08 silverado with 3" lift and 33s and have no problems. The fuel mileage is a bit less.

moose822

So the air bag replaces the add a leaf...how does that mount as I am assuming the main source of rear end lift is a block. Does the air bag replace that block as well? I am all for not having a block at all. How much PSI are we talking in an air bag? I am assuming they just have a shrader valve to fill and relieve pressure.

And yes I am sure I want to devalue this truck...1) I am obviously a redneck. 2) I have always wanted a lifted truck.

wilson

careful towing a boat with a lifted truck with big tires.....the tires will throw rocks and gravel against the hull of the boat and chip the heck out of it!!!!

indy_500

So the air bag replaces the add a leaf...how does that mount as I am assuming the main source of rear end lift is a block. Does the air bag replace that block as well? I am all for not having a block at all. How much PSI are we talking in an air bag? I am assuming they just have a shrader valve to fill and relieve pressure.

And yes I am sure I want to devalue this truck...1) I am obviously a redneck. 2) I have always wanted a lifted truck.
You can do both add a leaf and bags if you wanted. Bags go between your leafs and frame. What gears did you get? The ratios of each gear in the 6 SPD's are crazy no more need for 4.10s. You should be fine with just add a leaf your not towing anything too crazy heavy.

moose822

Truck goes in today...6" BDS lift, 325/60 R20 Nittos, add-a-leaf, and air bags. Can't wait to get this thing back. If anyone is interested in getting their truck lifted Forreston Auto Body in Forreston, IL has been great to deal with. I will post some pics when I get the truck back on Friday. Early Christmas present for the next 7 years for me!!!