Trail 2 Closing for 23/24 season?

snoden

I'm hearing the section of trail around the ski resort will be shut down for the upcoming season. Anyone else hearing this? Really sucks if this is true.

goofy600

Well there may be a work around, the way the trail was rerouted last year is still legal to run as is all roads in Gogebic county except for highways. Wakefield town board was the one that is the big problem now.

euphoric1

I'm hearing the section of trail around the ski resort will be shut down for the upcoming season. Anyone else hearing this? Really sucks if this is true.
I thought I had heard the same as well and that last years reroute was only a temporary one. It sounded like the new owners didnt want anything to do with trail crossing their property but maybe its time to request another go/chat regarding this issue, the worst they can say is no but maybe by altleast creating the conversation they might be willing to budge or compromise. But i know from previous posts regarding this the likelihood is a big NO but still worth the shot.

indy_500

Yep, town of Wakefield is the problem now. No way the ski resort will let them back on. UP sled trails are getting so scarce, sad to see…

pclark

Kind of crazy to see trails getting closed in the UP? With all the land you would think there would be a work around but I understand it's easier to read a post like this and not be in the shoes of the local club who has to find the solution and then cut in the new trail. I've heard great things about the local club and wish them well for the good of the sport.

indy_500

Can you explain what Wakefield has issues with?
Sounds like they aren’t interested in being a snowmobile friendly town…

Rumor has it, Skinner the ski resort owner and his deep pockets, may have influenced town politics.

Sad situation either way as many bars, restaurants, and businesses are struggling with Bidenomics.

goofy600

From what I’ve heard, some people had issue with the reroute on the edge of the road. Then last year they had a lot of snow especially early in the season so plowing the road and trying to have an area to groom became a challenge which had people complaining.

pclark

That area is fighting hard to make it anyway they can, if you've never been there you won't know what I am talking about. I drive up to Ironwood/Hurley every once in awhile and give the locals credit for their persistence. If you are ever there stop and support a local business, they need it. I usually stop and buy pasty's from a place in Wakefield, $6 per pasty, they are awesome!

pclark

are the college girls still supplementing their income up der in Hurley???
That I don't know, I think those bars are still open, The Silver Dollar? I was last in that bar with my buddies about 36 years ago while snowmobiling, two years before I got married. From the looks of it Hurley is a little depressed these days, we don't have much reason to go there other than businesses that you come across like a fabricator that cur some steel plates for my garage beams, Safelite for windshield replacement, sometimes I fly out of Ironwood for work.