Trail Access from Chassell

mostmajor

Does anyone know if there is a snowmobile trail that connects Chassell to Trail 3 / South Range, etc.? It looked like there were some closures out that way last year and just curious if anyone has a status report? Thanks in advance.

wiharley02

No official trail from Chassell west to Painesdale. Been 15 or more years since there was. Snowmobilers vs landowner issues I believe. In years past I think some people would run the road shoulder/right of way between Chassell and Painesdale, never did it myself. More recently, trail 15 from Baraga north to Chassell is closed for some type of bridge needing a repair. As far as I know, no legal or safe way to get to Chassell....some will run the ice from Houghton down to Chassell....that's where the "safe" part comes into play.....doesn't help you if you are looking to come up from the South/East and get to South Range/Houghton and avoid 3 Twin Lakes/Toivola area.

indy_500

No official trail from Chassell west to Painesdale. Been 15 or more years since there was. Snowmobilers vs landowner issues I believe. In years past I think some people would run the road shoulder/right of way between Chassell and Painesdale, never did it myself. More recently, trail 15 from Baraga north to Chassell is closed for some type of bridge needing a repair. As far as I know, no legal or safe way to get to Chassell....some will run the ice from Houghton down to Chassell....that's where the "safe" part comes into play.....doesn't help you if you are looking to come up from the South/East and get to South Range/Houghton and avoid 3 Twin Lakes/Toivola area.
What he said… terrible situation for an area that could use some tourism dollars!