Trail etiquette

loriwlrc

Snojoe' polarisrider1 had all the right answers , the one time a hand signal does come in handy is for the groomer operator, especially if your group is not riding tight, I just don't understand what is so hard about riding on the trails, it is, I assume ,the same rules as driving down the highway, what I don't get is when you ride down the middle never to look back, ( which shoukld be the #1 rule if no one is behind you, stop and wait or go back , they must be broke, took a wrong turn or had a mother nature call ),or you park in the middle or barely off to the side, or park double and stand all over the trail, or park on a corner, what's that about? Or your drag racing side by side on a corner??? Or when you come upon a group that is parked or driving extremly slow, you pass them full throttle to spray them down with loose snow,ice chunks,rocks etc. very impressive! Common sense is what should be used on the trails,along with common courtisey.

whitedust

I'm riding a tight Twisty just me & this large oncoming group all wearing mittens every rider held up a claw & I'm like laughing my *** off stopped & tucked as they go by. I'm like you guys do realize you all have mittens on your hand signal is meaningless? LOL

russholio

Personally, all I care about is the first sled and the last sled. I don't give a rip about how many are in between. That being said, when I see the closed fist I still proceed with caution as it doesn't mean there isn't a separate group behind. But with my riding limited to weekdays, that doesn't happen too often.

As others have said, signaling at night and on long straightaways (or at stop signs, and I've seen it done) is useless. Most importantly (as others have also stated), as helpful as signaling might be in certain circumstances, if ya can't do it safely then don't do it! Common sense should be the above-all deciding factor.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
True story here;

On last week's trip a guy is going to pass me from the opposite direction and he's wearing mittens. He pulls off the left mitt to signal while keeping his right hand on the throttle. Waving his bare fingers as he goes by. Now THAT's dedication!

I had to smile at that one.

Last edited:

anonomoose

first...I use hand signals onmy bike every time i ride the people behind me like it that way.....hand signals are the way i can LEAD 20 motorcycles across country thru towns and busy places...it works just like turn signals....but that has nothing to do with this subject as that has to do with people BEHIND you not letting people in front of you.........now lets look at snowmobiling.....tight cornners straight aways with snow dust flying 80% of you can barley see past your fogged up face mask now tell me again how being informed about whatin front of you is a bad thing????????

so I hear everyone on the bouncing out of control thing "No I really lied I dont understand that if you cant control your sled take up golf" (thats another thread alltogether) BUT HERE WHAT I ASK YOU......you say its not safe you going get in a crash or a head on.....well show me the stats?????show me the situation???show me where this happend???show me???stop taking like your al gore and making up stuff that does not and has not happend yet.....I CALL THAT FEAR MONGERING....they teach it in saftey calss you know the place where after years and years of studys and years and years of sled crash investigations they came up with a set saftey regulations and ways of ediquett......I see no viable study saying head on crashes happen cuz someone single a on coming sled....

How the heck do you signal to ANYONE THAT THERE ARE TWENTY RIDERS BEHIND YOU....BOTH HANDS AND FEET IN THE AIR??

Really...you need to keep your boots on and your mittons where they will keep your hands the warmest.

For those who don't signal at nite....I have news for you....my hand held spot light can shine brightly on your hand held in the air and it helps me know if I can continue at 90mph or back her down to 85.

When you come upon a family out riding and gazing the scenery, you should HONK your horn loudly...and then scream past them throwing chucks of ice and tree branches....who do they think they are anyway....obviously, they need to stay home and watch re-runs of FRIENDS.... there is NO place on the trails for lolly gaggers.

As for using turn signals in Michigan....we don't even need them anymore along with signs...stupid wast of money....and which is why we don't have turn signals on sleds....can you imagine blowing past some lolly gaggers and then throwing your left turn signal on to make left turn.....owww I hate that big time!

Now I am gunna invent a nice LED light bar that you can display on your windshield that passing sledders can read as they go by and inform them of things like...lost luggage on the trail....full beer cans behind....NO I don't have a snow bungee....stuff like that. That way we can keep all our hands and feet in the right places and NOBODY needs to scare the crap out of anyone by doing things like use turn signals and signal how many riders they THINK might be behind them....at least by last count! Now who wants one?

polarisrider1

How the heck do you signal to ANYONE THAT THERE ARE TWENTY RIDERS BEHIND YOU....BOTH HANDS AND FEET IN THE AIR??

Really...you need to keep your boots on and your mittons where they will keep your hands the warmest.
For those who don't signal at nite....I have news for you....my hand held spot light can shine brightly on your hand held in the air and it helps me know if I can continue at 90mph or back her down to 85.

When you come upon a family out riding and gazing the scenery, you should HONK your horn loudly...and then scream past them throwing chucks of ice and tree branches....who do they think they are anyway....obviously, they need to stay home and watch re-runs of FRIENDS.... there is NO place on the trails for lolly gaggers.

As for using turn signals in Michigan....we don't even need them anymore along with signs...stupid wast of money....and which is why we don't have turn signals on sleds....can you imagine blowing past some lolly gaggers and then throwing your left turn signal on to make left turn.....owww I hate that big time!

Now I am gunna invent a nice LED light bar that you can display on your windshield that passing sledders can read as they go by and inform them of things like...lost luggage on the trail....full beer cans behind....NO I don't have a snow bungee....stuff like that. That way we can keep all our hands and feet in the right places and NOBODY needs to scare the crap out of anyone by doing things like use turn signals and signal how many riders they THINK might be behind them....at least by last count! Now who wants one?

How do I place an order?

lvr1000

What about signaling when you pass a group? I let them know another one is coming, especially for those that ride the middle and fail to look behind them after miles and blow stop signs. I knew my right side exiting open exhaust would come in handy.

POLARISDAN

I'm riding a tight Twisty just me & this large oncoming group all wearing mittens every rider held up a claw & I'm like laughing my *** off stopped & tucked as they go by. I'm like you guys do realize you all have mittens on your hand signal is meaningless? LOL

they were probably waving hi:)

fusionfool

Hand signals, this topic is like beating a dead horse! I say stay in control of your sled and we will do the same. The wife and I compliment with hand signal when appropriate, and safe to do so, but to be honest, I do not care if you do our not. I ride in control, and I am always far right on the trail looking for those who are not.
This year in the Kee on a curve my wife did not provide hand signal to a group meeting her on that curve. She received a complimentary flipping of the bird. She was all the way right, and did not feel comfortable taking her hand off the hand grip to signal. I praised her for her decision, and told her if she never provided a hand signal, that was OK. Just do what you are comfortable with beyond any doubt.

Last edited:

polarisrider1

Hand signals, this topic is like beating a dead horse! I say stay in control of your sled and we will do the same. The wife and I compliment with hand signal when appropriate, and safe to do so, but to be honest, I do not care if you do our not. I ride in control, and I am always far right on the trail looking for those who are not.
This year in the Kee on a curve my wife did not provide hand signal to a group meeting her on that curve. She received a complimentary flipping of the bird. She was all the way right, and did not feel comfortable taking her hand off the right hand grip to signal. I praised her for her decision, and told her if she never provided a hand signal, that was OK. Just do what you are comfortable with beyond any doubt.

agree, (but it's the left hand grip).

anonomoose

This year in the Kee on a curve my wife did not provide hand signal to a group meeting her on that curve. She received a complimentary flipping of the bird. She was all the way right, and did not feel comfortable taking her hand off the right hand grip to signal. I praised her for her decision, and told her if she never provided a hand signal, that was OK. Just do what you are comfortable with beyond any doubt.

Note to myself!

Develop a foot throttle so that we can take both hands off the bars to signal up to 10 fingers for the idiots who can't figure out that THEY are not the only one's out there on the trail that day and need a little help figuring out if anyone else left the motel or are all sleeping it off from the nite before.

Foot note to the note to myself....Make foot throttle on both sides just because some folks are both left and right handed at the same time...this will also aid those cornering right or left and will allow usage around corners.

Develop these along with "advance notice LED" which displays on the windshield for other on coming sleds to quickly read with statements like "of course I OWN the trail, that's why I am in the middle of it..." and "where am I"..."eat my ice chips"...etc.

whitedust

To me a sticky should be made regarding this subject & finally be done with it forever. To me very surprising how some people get upset bout nothing. "Hand signals" use them if you choose or don't if not safe to do so or just don't want to hand signal. Me I use them in WI Twistys not so much on UP Grades or super wide trails. Does that boil it down or more variations.LOL

skutr

So far nobody has mentioned pedestrians walking on the trails. So far this year I've encountered 7 people walking or hunting on the trails. The most recent was yesterday in a thick tight twisty section of woods on a 90 degree left corner. I was on the extreme right and taking it easy because some ATVs had tore up the corners and as I came around the corner a guy with two beagles and a shotgun steps out of the woods about 15 feet in front of me. He was wearing a camouflage jacket and a dirty blaze orange hat. I think this was private land so I'm assuming he was the landowner or had permission to be there. I wave to say I'm sorry but he still looked really POd and surprised that a snowmobile would be on the trail.

russholio

So far nobody has mentioned pedestrians walking on the trails. So far this year I've encountered 7 people walking or hunting on the trails. The most recent was yesterday in a thick tight twisty section of woods on a 90 degree left corner. I was on the extreme right and taking it easy because some ATVs had tore up the corners and as I came around the corner a guy with two beagles and a shotgun steps out of the woods about 15 feet in front of me. He was wearing a camouflage jacket and a dirty blaze orange hat. I think this was private land so I'm assuming he was the landowner or had permission to be there. I wave to say I'm sorry but he still looked really POd and surprised that a snowmobile would be on the trail.

I've seen some of that, too.....just the other day a lady was walking her two dogs, neither of which was on a leash. I wasn't going fast and slowed even more, but I thought" how stupid can somebody be?"