Trail from Houghton to Chassell

IOWASLEDDER

Hey everyone. I'm already plotting my strategy for our January trip and looking at the maps, is there a trail from the Houghton to Chassell?? I don't see one on any of my maps and also looking online and don't see one! Thanks for the replies!

jd

Administrator
Staff member
It's kind of a yes and no answer. A few years back, persons living near the old railroad grade that was used as an access trail tried to prove in court that they owned the land. The DNR fought that and won. However, because that 7 mile stretch of trail has several dozen driveway crossings that would need to have banks pushed back by the groomer and stop signs put up, it was decided that it was just not realistic to have a groomed trail on that stretch of grade.

If someone were to travel down it, I do not believe that they would be breaking the law, but don't quote me on that 100%. Keep in mind that the trail is not groomed or signed and that you will be traveling through persons front and back yards, in very close proximity to their homes in many cases, so travel should be done with courtesy and at a safe speed.

We are currently working on trying to restore the Painesdale to Chassell trail and hope to have it up and running in the next year or two, but will not be going for this season.

-John

ezra

been some time but don't u just jump on the lake and boogie hard and fast to pike bay when the closed trail starts?
I have done it but it was deff not a early season ride

been some time but don't u just jump on the lake and boogie hard and fast to pike bay when the closed trail starts?
I have done it but it was deff not a early season ride
Thats what i have always done but there is always a few that wont follow me and they have to take the bad way and on a good year the snow piles at those driveways are really no fun..

rsvectordude

Thats what i have always done but there is always a few that wont follow me and they have to take the bad way and on a good year the snow piles at those driveways are really no fun..

Stop at the Greenlight in Chassell they'll tell ya how to get to the other trails if you don't feel comfortable on the lake. If the lake is not safe I just take the back roads and ditch bang to Painesdale not really a big deal! Takes about 15 minutes tops. If you see signs that say no trespassing along the road please stick to the right of way which is only 33 feet each side of center line.

IOWASLEDDER

Thanks for the replies! Until there is a marked trail, I think I will just play it safe and keep it between the signs!