Trailer Axle Question

einne

Picked up a newer sled trailer this year. Was thinking about putting some sort of coating on the axle. Is this a good idea? If so what would one recommend. I am figuring this will help in preventing rusting. Figure clean it and coat it.
Was thinking of some sort of bed liner spray/roll on.
Thanks for the advise

fgsacts

I will be picking up my new trailer in a couple of weeks. I intend on doing the same thing. Will go with Herculiner from Farm and Fleet. I have been told that there is a spray on version but have not confirmed this yet.

eao

I used this on a gas tank in put in my old plow truck. Leaves a semi-transparent wax-like coating.

amh_can_300pxh.jpg
More Info

Last edited:

doomsman

Check the axle before you paint or coat it.

If there is an id tag strapped to it, cut it off
and put in the folder with your paper work.
the id will help buying parts when things
start to wear out.

indy_500

I just painted mine with regular rustoleum paint, it rusted a good amount but i just do it yearly. for $4 a year, good enough for me

fgsacts

Andy, How many cans do you need. I can ship it to your house same day.

Let me get the trailer first Wayne and see if the axles and springs are treated already. I assume they won't be so will probably need 3-4 cans I would imagine. I need to place an order with you for some Interceptor anyway so I will do it all at one time. You can just bring the Interceptor with you when we go to the Snowies. Are you a dealer or preferred customer? I should just probably renew my preferred customer. There is a distribution center her in the Chicago area and I used to pick up and save the freight. I had enough to get me through last season and was going to switch to the "dreaded" Sea & Snow this year, lol. I am changing my mind but we are taking this thread off course. I will email or call you.

swampcat

How to

The FASTEST-CHEAPEST-EASIEST thing to do to NEW product is slather it up with GREASE. Get yourself a old glove, a bucket of grease, and start smearin. Gramps taught me this from way back in the 1st GREAT DEPRESSION.

polarisrider1

The FASTEST-CHEAPEST-EASIEST thing to do to NEW product is slather it up with GREASE. Get yourself a old glove, a bucket of grease, and start smearin. Gramps taught me this from way back in the 1st GREAT DEPRESSION.
first dirt road could prove that idea as maybe not the way to go???

eao

How often would you say you have to re-apply this product?

Been on the tank since 2007 and still looks as the day I sprayed it on there, so I would guess years unless there is something that is going to cause it to be rubbed off.

einne

checking out that por 15, and or bed liner stuff of some sort.
my two place open trailer didnt look ggod upon selling, and a comment was made from buyer about axle condition.(not that it was bad). so thought i would put some sort of protection on this one. if i can prolong the life and this helps, then feel it is worth it. so will be done and will let you know how it works out in the years to come. will throw in some pics. when finished.
thanks for all the input JDers.