Trailer Connection ?

Any tips on what you have found that works good on the trailer plug connections as far as cleaning and keeping in good shape. Seems every time I go to plug in the 4 flat its an issue.
THANK YOU !!

todds

I switched to the round, 6-pole plug about 15 years ago and have been VERY happy. NAPA part no. 755-5046 for the male end. The standard 4-pin connector was always corroded.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
I clean the male and female points with emery cloth. It takes a little time but seems to work well for me. I also add a small amount of Bulb Grease which helps hold down the corrosion.

xcr800

After they are cleaned I put vaseline on the connections and when not in use put a zip lock bag on both sides with a zip tie to seal them off and tuck them out of the way. You can also spray them down with wd40 also. Have been doing this for years and haven't had to replace a plug in at least 5 years

phazerpilot

keep a couple extra ends around with connector installed on ends snip,crimp, tape and go. 20 plus years of trailers seems like no matter what i have tried they get replaced every few years anyways.

chords

Why cant a long pigtail trailer connection be made inside the vehicle where its sheltered from the road ?

yamadooed

Cut off all the cheapo 4 pins and replace with a decent 7 pin connector... Apply dielectric grease to plug and recepticle make sure pins are lightly coated... 7 pins have become standard on tow packages and by make'n all yer trailers the same you eliminate the need for all the stupid adapters that will cost you more than the $4 seven pin plugs...

R

red_dog

I found a small plastic box made to store\enclose the flat connecter\plug. You rivet to the trailer tongue and it's got a cutout just big enough for the wire to hang out of . Must have got it at Fleet years ago. Basically when trailer is sitting around it keeps it out of the mud\snow\salt. Never replaced the end yet in 10 years.