Trailering Question

I was wondering if someone could help me. I have a 18' rinker with a roller trailer and it seems the boat never wants to go on straight. I can get it in the middle if I work on it but I thought the whole point of a roller trailer was that it centered itself. I have been putting in on the Wolf River lately and it does have a good current, but the boat is usually high sided on the up stream side. I was thinking of checking the rollers next time I launch, but what am I looking for/at?

Thanks.

Sometimes, having your trailer too "deep" in the water can cause this. Have you tried having the trailer up higher on the ramp? Yes...this means you need to do one of two things...power it up on to the trailer...or, do some extra winching. Either way, I've found that this will then allow the boat to center itself.

misty_pines

Also make sure your trailer is level side to side when backed into the water at the landing. If the landing is such that your trailer is leaning to one side or the other and not level, the boat will not be centered when cranking it on. That happens on my roller trailer all the time on uneven landings.

whitedust

Gave up on roller trailers many years ago don't like black rubber maring bottom & rollers bend. Bunk trailers work very well but don't be shy about getting wet to center up boat while someone pulls the boat trailer out. If you are there while pulling out you can site exactly where the boat is on trailer. Always works for me & if not exactly where I want the boat right back in & recenter. Wife does not need skill to help drive truck just keep it straight.

My experience is that even bunk trailers will properly center/align the boat...without getting wet. Roller trailers should be even more fool proof. Now...I will readily admit that when I am solo retrieving the boat, I climb over the bow once I am partially on the trailer, and carefully walk along the trailer to reach the winch and attach the cable to the bow eye...and I carefully walk the trailer again to get off and winch er up. :) I guess one of these days, I'll get VERY wet when my balance fails me!

whitedust

Pair of waders standard issue for me slip my boat shoes back on throw waders in back of truck & good to go. I always power up my Ranger on trailer & my Ranger trailer is a well designed machine but pontoon bunk trailer was a different story but still powered up on bunks. The wind would blow the pontoon here & there so I was very exacting with that 1 in 1 out a season. Waders keep you dry & warm in the great white north. Sold the pontoon so life much more simple now with Ranger:)

doospunk

I was wondering if someone could help me. I have a 18' rinker with a roller trailer and it seems the boat never wants to go on straight. I can get it in the middle if I work on it but I thought the whole point of a roller trailer was that it centered itself. I have been putting in on the Wolf River lately and it does have a good current, but the boat is usually high sided on the up stream side. I was thinking of checking the rollers next time I launch, but what am I looking for/at?

Thanks.

Funny you say this. My last two boats 21' and 23' both came with roller trailers. (I miss them!). I found on both of mine that just floating the front half rollers, and lightly "power loading" it while having the wife clip it worked perfect. Either way, my latest adventure is a 25' with bunks, and have yet to find a low stress way of loading it while having both wife and kids with me! (I can never seem to get it centered the first 2 or 3 attempts on pull out. Any thoughts to trade????

maxwell

Power loading a boat on a trailer is bad for the boat landing. Now that I've said that.

Float your boat onto bunk trailers. You should only need to winch it the last 12" or so. If you find you boat not centered on the trailer, invest in some guides for the side of the trailer. I have bunk trailers for both 18' and 27' boat, and have minimal issue with getting it centered on the trailer.

With roller trailer don't back in the water so deep, and winch it longer. the boat should self center.

On the wolf river, cock the trailer so it is facing more downstream, and not perpendicular (90 degrees) to the current.