Trailers - Good news / Bad News

dfattack

Unfortunately I had to ship my trailer back to Legend for some repairs recently and was finally able to pick it up yesterday after they had it for 2 months. They were very nice to deal with and I'm happy with the repairs. Not happy to have to send it back but happy with the outcome.

I had never been to the factory headquarters and never traveled highway 127 (lower Michigan) passing Becks on my way. That place is LOADED with trailers. I mean they have a TON. Both sides of the highway.

So...the good news is it appears the supply issues with trailers may have come to an end. Becks clearly has a huge inventory and I don't believe they are all sold. The bad news is that it seems to be due to what's going on with our economy and gas prices. Someone at Legend told me they have been super busy the last couple years and now orders have slowed down significantly.

reason I'm posting this is anyone looking for a trailer may have some options out there now. I wasn't expecting this to change so fast, but it appears it has.

indy_500

With $5 gas there will be lots of sleds and trailers to choose from this fall/winter! Crashing bikes and economies!

whitedust

Trailer pricing inflation has been unreal in last 2 years. How much can prices come down is the question? Healthy trailer dealers are loaded with inventory hopefully they have what people want. Snowmobile Hybrids are few the inventory built up and sold out but lots of inline trailers available. It will be interesting to see if snowmobile trailer inventory builds in Fall. The Fed is trying to force an economic slow down to slow inflation by raising interest rates meantime the stock market has experienced a comeback so far this week NOT what the Fed wanted. Lol. I think we are already in a Recession but won’t know until the end of June for sure.

SHOOT2KILL

favoritos

It was surprising how fast pricing went up. I ordered one early in the summer of 2020 and it was delivered mid fall. Pricing had changed quite a bit in that short time. I was lucky to have the price locked. I was also lucky to get the trailer. I had nice offers to buy my trailer before it left the lot. The dealer just simply didn't have anything available. The new order time frame was pretty long too. It's nice to see supply catching up again.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
It looks like a Recession is all but a certainty now. If that is the case there will be a lot of used items for sale with people trying to get out from under monthly payments on their toys. If there is a silver lining it's that the Supply Chain may have a chance to catch up with demand.

Hoosier

The cure for high prices is often high prices.

Good info that trailer supply seems to be piling up.

For riding this year - we were paying $5 in some places late last season but everything else was up too - food, lodging, not to mention everything else someone spends money on outside of riding. That was March and things have gone up quite a bit from there.

Usually ride with a group of 3 and split all our expenses. First time we were pulling up to gas pumps and having it turn off on us when it hit $100 or whatever the cut-off was. Had to put the card in again to fill the 3 sleds up.

ICT Sledder

I just went through this, so if the prices have come down it was lost on me. And I'm pretty good at beating the last dollar out of a deal.

Ended up buying a 2022 7x23 Legend Explorer off the lot for $15,500 (not including tax). That's a model of theirs' that is pretty well equipped - 16" OC throughout, torsion axles, two tone with stainless trim, stainless exterior hardware, aluminum wheels, white vinyl interior walls/ceiling, LED lights, storage cabinet, matching spare tire/wheel on an interior mount, etc.

Looked into special ordering a 2023 version of the same Legend (to get specific colors I wanted) and it would have been $18K-$19K. It MIGHT have been in at the end of next sled season. Maybe. Also looked into Neo, and to special order a 2023 built out like a Legend Explorer would have again been nearly the same money as the 2023 Legend. Maybe $1000 less. It would have been in October-ish. Neo's are no longer a "get a lot for your money" option - they're now priced towards the top of the market.

I know lots of folks buy from Becks, but every time I called them I felt like I was dealing with sleazy used car salesman that were full of s***. Felt like I was trying to nail Jello to the wall when it came to pricing, availability, and option cost. That that business is directly related to Legend honestly gave me pause on buying a Legend, if that makes sense.

I don't look for prices to go down on stuff like this, ever. We are just seeing new price floors. The pricing on commodities fluctuate up and down. The pricing on durable consumer good really don't.

eao

I am glad I sold my 2016 enclosed 7'x14'x7.5' Tandem Legend Explorer (Becks) last August. My gas mileage towing was 10-12 mpg if I stayed at 55mpg. Someone wanted it for business use and I was able to get what I paid (less taxes) for it 4 yrs later. Parlayed that into a 2022 7x14 open (model 8114SR) Aluma for $4895+ Taxes last Aug. The same trailer this year is $7,050 for a 2023 model. Mileage hauling the RZR on Aluma is 18.

eao

I know lots of folks buy from Becks, but every time I called them I felt like I was dealing with sleazy used car salesman that were full of s***. Felt like I was trying to nail Jello to the wall when it came to pricing, availability, and option cost. That that business is directly related to Legend honestly gave me pause on buying a Legend, if that makes sense.
When I called Becks I was assured the trailer I wanted was there and they would hold for 1 day with deposit. So friend and I headed down from da UP. When we got there and found my salesman, he could not find the trailer. We drove all over the lots on a golf cart (very cold day) and he could not find it. Finally after about 2 hrs of searching he found it, the stock number tape had faded and he drove by it at least 3x before he decided to take a closer look at one of them and that was the one. I have to admit the salesman gave me the bums rush, got me to sign the papers and installed the plate then passed me off to a cashier and then disappeared and I never seen him again.

snomoman

I’ve had a whole lifetime of trailers mostly steel ones for hauling various goods, I did have a snowmobile trailer though, bought it in 1995 and spent a little over 500 bucks for it and sold it a couple seasons ago for over 500 bucks, go figure, it’s unbelievable what trailers are going for these days, I am glad that I don’t need one at this point in time, …..it is kind of nice to read some stories and posts on this site about whatever comes to our minds.. summer dormancy is settling in on this site I guess…haha

When I called Becks I was assured the trailer I wanted was there and they would hold for 1 day with deposit. So friend and I headed down from da UP. When we got there and found my salesman, he could not find the trailer. We drove all over the lots on a golf cart (very cold day) and he could not find it. Finally after about 2 hrs of searching he found it, the stock number tape had faded and he drove by it at least 3x before he decided to take a closer look at one of them and that was the one. I have to admit the salesman gave me the bums rush, got me to sign the papers and installed the plate then passed me off to a cashier and then disappeared and I never seen him again.
Yep, bought from them once! What a nightmare writing a check to pay for a $8,500 trailer. Told them I would have to transfer money and they called my bank to make sure the check would clear. My wife had to do the transfer in person because I'd written a bad check in BECKS mind.
If I didn't need it now, I'd have walked!

Go Fast or Go Home

I may be incorrect, however, Beck's and Legend are the same company.

Either way--They're both difficult to deal with ( I am trying to be polite )

Don~

dfattack

I may be incorrect, however, Beck's and Legend are the same company.

Either way--They're both difficult to deal with ( I am trying to be polite )

Don~
I've heard the same thing before however I'm being honest when I say that they were very helpful on my repairs. Very timely and did a good job. The experience was good enough where I would consider another trailer from them.

heckler56

Southside Auto in Indian River is a stand up dealer. Small inventory but can get you what you want. The owner of Beck’s & Legend are good friends of the dealership and has a cottage close by. The wife and husband will sometimes pull a trailer and drop it off for delivery when driving by.

whitedust

I’m surprised an innocent post stirred up so many members. Sure opened my eyes on Legend and especially Becks. No thanks I’ll find alternatives.

dfattack

I’m surprised an innocent post stirred up so many members. Sure opened my eyes on Legend and especially Becks. No thanks I’ll find alternatives.
Well, we have heard from a couple/few that had an issue with Becks. Becks is a dealer (same owner or not) and they aren't the only dealer for Legend. As with anything online you will mostly hear the negative. So far my only issue is what brought me to send my trailer back after 12 years for repair. As stated previously they handled the situation as well as you would hope for. You know my trailer well and other than this incident it's been great. I have yet to find a trailer manufacturer that I like better than Legend. Many are just as good perhaps, but not sure on the better part. I prefer inline. Friend of mine has the chris burandt edition of the trails west trailer. It's got a ton of nice features and options (including heated floor) but I don't know that I like it "Better" than mine from a structural standpoint or design. Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending any experience others have had with Becks as I don't have a clue what happened, but I wouldn't discount an entire brand due to a dealer. Just my opinion.