Traxxas RC electric cars

m8man

Hey all....

I'm looking at getting one for my 7 year old. Electric only as a learning tool........

he has had a ton of RC cars, but the usual stuff, $50 cars and trucks that puke after a while and go through AA batteries like there is no tomorrow.

he is doing so good in school I'd like to surprise him sometime this spring with one....I do not want a Nitro powered one, maybe at some point a gas powered one but not now......

anybody here have any good ones? I'm looking at the traxxas stampede or E-Maxx, with a brushless motor......also I'm looking for 4wd.....He is really good with his, keeps them organized and loves em to death.

I love the fact that some traxxas models are waterproof.....

any thoughts?

m8man

ezra

I have a old traxxas good car not to hard to fix after busting up .
I have only had rear wheel drive cars never 4x4 trucks. kind of the more moving parts the more chit to have to fix .
is team associated still making cars?
my old school T A rc10 is still the most bad ars car I have owned one of those things that comes out of the Tupperware bin when some kids come over . spent way more than we need to talk about on it decades ago will never sell .

Ramsey

Santa dropped these Bad Boy's at my house this year

IMG_0203.jpg

Traxxas Slash 2X4 1/10 scale electric. This things will flat out fly. The nice thing is they have three different speed settings. My boy quickly learned how to bypass the learner setting and now he fly's the things all over the place up to 30 MPH. I would highly recommend this model for someone who is just starting out.
He's had them in the mud, I just put them in the kitchen sink and hit them with the sprayer to clean them.

Magnumb

He'd have alot of fun with the Traxxas Stampede. Parts are easy to come by, but it's also hard to break.
Take time and mess with the suspension to work for your conditions. Good suspension setup makes the truck, not so much the speed.
If he'd like to take to the track, I'd suggest the HPI Blitz.

SledTL

I have a traxxas stampede and also a boat by Traxxas. They all make top quality stuff. My two toys both are brushed motors and that is a little outdated compared to now. My only comments on them, if you buy a brushless motor which really makes the cars haul some arse, make sure you use lipo batteries. They are way more powerful and last a lot longer. With my brushed motor I was looking for a little bit more power for driving on anything else than pavement. If you can get a nitro car, do it better investment if he will use it for a long time. Also having a nitro car you can teach him the basics to small motors. They aren't anything different than a shrunken down weedwacker.

chunk06

I have had a couple nitro trucks in the past, after running a brushless truck I see no need to ever screw with a nitro one unless you got real serious.

fastercat

I have had 4 Traxxas, definitely get a 4x4, the 4x2 gets 2 squirly when you get on the throttle, my slash vxl 4X2 was supposed to do 70 mph with all the mods, but I could only get it to 56mph before I lose control, if you get the upgraded remote, it takes an ipod or iPhone and with the Traxxas app, you can see how fast it is going, and with extra sensors, you can see temp, rpms ect. pretty cool stuff

rp7x

team losi

ezra , I too have way to much from back in the day from tecin sc too lots of home made packs use to love running 7 cells in stock class lol, best track I ever ran was in Hayward next to the koa

cuzzinolaf

Santa dropped these Bad Boy's at my house this year

View attachment 50246

Traxxas Slash 2X4 1/10 scale electric. This things will flat out fly. The nice thing is they have three different speed settings. My boy quickly learned how to bypass the learner setting and now he fly's the things all over the place up to 30 MPH. I would highly recommend this model for someone who is just starting out.
He's had them in the mud, I just put them in the kitchen sink and hit them with the sprayer to clean them.

I believe they make a 4x4 Traxxis Slash as well. I'd go with one of them because they really are close to water proof.

landoman

We have a few here. Slash 2x4 brushless and slash 4x4 brushless. We practice race Wednesday's at trackside in Brookfield with them. My 10 year old got the 4x2 dialed in so we moved to the 4x4 with lipo batteries. They haul. We also just bought a stampede 4x4 brushless for bashing. Unreal take off and torque. If you do not plan on going to the track, the stampede 4x4 is better for grass and jumping and generally screwing around. Buy extra drive shafts. You will need em with lipo batteries.

doofan1

My 13 year old son wanted to get into the sport this fall. we bought a Traxxas slash 2x4 brushed motor. it's been a good machine. Kid beats the snot out of it and it holds up pretty. Li-po batteries are a nice upgrade but not required. The charger that comes with the kit kind of sucks takes a long time to charge batteries. We upgraded the charger and bought an extra battery then an extra Li-po. More run time out of the Li-po battery

These have 3 speed settings which helps when the kids are learning.

we also picked up a used stampede goes better in tall grass not as fast or agile as the slash but still fun to play with.