Triton Trailers Sold

600_RMK_144

Pretty sad to read in my most recent sled magazine (SnowGoer) that Triton Trailers got bought out by ALCOM Trailers. They already have: Mission, Sno-Pro, E-Z Hauler, Stealth, Frontier and CargoPro. My opinion only, but Triton stood above these others due to their smaller footprint and small business / local vibe being out of Wisconsin (yeah, I know they are not a small business). When I was re-skinning my TC-167 this Fall, it was nice to have a company that would actually pick-up the phone, answer my questions and direct me on where to get the parts I needed. Hope all that doesn't change and that they continue to put out great sled haulers.

whitedust

Idk dealers weren’t even calling Triton anymore so far behind on delivery. Something went wrong at Triton had great products but seemed disconnected at the manufacturing level. Competition had moved in to their dealer network to have a product to sell. Imo Mission owns the hybrid market now. Clamshell who cares.

old abe

Neo makes V-Nose trailers very close to what Triton offered. I relly like that they use the very same door locks as Triton. Thieves will have to tear the doors off to gain entry.

600_RMK_144

Idk dealers weren’t even calling Triton anymore so far behind on delivery. Something went wrong at Triton had great products but seemed disconnected at the manufacturing level. Competition had moved in to their dealer network to have a product to sell. Imo Mission owns the hybrid market now. Clamshell who cares.
COVID hit Triton hard (as it did most companies), but they seemed to really struggle. I've not seen a Mission config similar to the TC167, but maybe they do make one? The absolute best two place trailer configuration in my opinion. Hopefully they keep one in the line-up! Tritons price tag on them has gotten completely out of line thou ($10k+ new).

indy_500

Thanks for posting, I did not see this! Huge bummer as I have to agree, their quality is/was a tick above the rest. Have to hope nothing changes but as we all know, it most likely will. Have around 15,000 miles on my 5 yr old Triton 12 ft clamshell and it’s held up very well. Even packed 3 mountain sleds in it on a 3500 mile trek out west last year. Hoping to hit the lotto soon so I can upgrade to one with a ramp door.

whitedust

Yes it’s sad but the pandemic disrupted Triton and their delivery lead times and prices were out of control. Yes a great product prepandemic but something went very wrong at Triton and acquisition is a way out of a problem they couldn’t resolve on their own.

Go Fast or Go Home

Triton used to be top notch, but for a number of years has been resting on its laurels while quality suffered but pricing went higher.

To many companies out there offering good bang for the buck trailers and Triton has been left behind.

Don~

eao

To qoute a recent news article....lots of smaller companies experience cash flow issues due to to COVID-related slowdowns, high transportation costs, U.S. import restrictions and labor shortages.

Aluminum has seen prices more than double to records in the U.S. Midwest, climbing to a 13-year high on the London Metal Exchange, following disruptions to global supplies.

old abe

To qoute a recent news article....lots of smaller companies experience cash flow issues due to to COVID-related slowdowns, high transportation costs, U.S. import restrictions and labor shortages.
You nailed it eao! Tariffs, Covid 19, transportation, labor, are all big ones, eh! Very costly Aluminum tariffs was a hard hit for Triton, and other manufactures.

indy_500

I have to say, I truly believe Tritons issues were partly responsible to the such high price increases across the board from all trailer manufacturers. There isn’t anything else that comes to mind that has increased as much as trailers has.

whitedust

I have to say, I truly believe Tritons issues were partly responsible to the such high price increases across the board from all trailer manufacturers. There isn’t anything else that comes to mind that has increased as much as trailers has.
I agree Indy all trailer mfgs experienced the same obstacles some adjusted Triton did not. Something is wrong inside Triton that will be fixed by acquisition.

old abe

Y
Absolutely agree indy_500, as light trailer Manufactures got beat up hard with Aluminum tariffs, heavy trailers with the steel tariffs. No way around the being pure Fact! Many tariffs are still in place.

whitedust

Lol when WI dealers that sold Triton for years tell you I can’t get pricing or any delivery schedules from Triton something went very wrong inside Triton. Triton was a slam dunk sale in my case willing to pay more for the brand. Then dealer after dealer shrugs says I can’t get product or pricing from Triton then I call Triton Plant and no one picks up the phone it’s not a “perhaps”something is horribly wrong. Dealer networks were forced to pick up other trailer mfgs committed Unit orders to them Triton got left behind. Imo Triton’s way out of a bad situation was to be bought and will be reorganized to compete at competitive retail prices. We will see how good the products will be but that’s life in any business.

old abe

I totally agree with you whitedust, and not to argue. Except for this? Perhaps ALCOM will fix, correct the issues, problems? Or will Triton trailers, even be part of ALCOM trailers line up? Seems as so many times it's just not to be anymore! Triton absolutely did have premium products for sure.

whitedust

I totally agree with you whitedust, and not to argue. Except for this? Perhaps ALCOM will fix, correct the issues, problems? Or will Triton trailers, even be part of ALCOM trailers line up? Seems as so many times it's just not to be anymore! Triton absolutely did have premium products for sure.
Intention is definitely to rescue Triton they were headed to the scrap heap of the Pandemic all on their own. Even if snowmobile trailers are a regional product Triton used to own WI for enclosed trailers. It can happen again if professionally managed Triton has a great reputation. ALCOM can leverage raw material trailer costs to all involved help an industry that got hammered during the pandemic. The consumer is going to have to understand trailer costs of yesteryear are long gone.

ICT Sledder

I agree Indy all trailer mfgs experienced the same obstacles some adjusted Triton did not. Something is wrong inside Triton that will be fixed by acquisition.
I mean... I guess. Not sure how acquisition is an absolute fix for the product and its end user. Can give all sorts of examples of established and trusted brands bought out for one reason or another that are now a shadow of their former selves.

They got bought out by the McDonald's of aluminum trailer manufacturers. Paying premium prices for something coming out of ALCOM doesn't make much sense. I can't be the only person that will now never, ever consider a Triton because they're just another door sticker for a cheapie trailer mega-manufacturer. They're now going to be a $15 Big Mac.

And high trailer prices can only be supported if people actually buy them. Supply-demand curves are a thing and eventually the wrong side will be crossed by the current manufacturers and folks will either look for an alternative, or new manufacturers will enter. You can't just charge whatever the heck you want, as economics are a thing. It's not like an aluminum sled trailer is made of unobtainium and built by NASA engineers. It's a raw material, some third party parts, all put together by welders. The barriers to entry are nearly non-existent. Ripe for a welder or two with some business sense and some money saved up to launch another Triton.

Last edited:

whitedust

I mean... I guess. Not sure how acquisition is an absolute fix for the product and its end user. Can give all sorts of examples of established and trusted brands bought out for one reason or another that are now a shadow of their former selves.

They got bought out by the McDonald's of aluminum trailer manufacturers. Paying premium prices for something coming out of ALCOM doesn't make much sense. I can't be the only person that will now never, ever consider a Triton because they're just another door sticker for a cheapie trailer mega-manufacturer. They're now going to be a $15 Big Mac.

And high trailer prices can only be supported if people actually buy them. Supply-demand curves are a thing and eventually the wrong side will be crossed by the current manufacturers and folks will either look for an alternative, or new manufacturers will enter. You can't just charge whatever the heck you want, as economics are a thing. It's not like an aluminum sled trailer is made of unobtainium and built by NASA engineers. It's a raw material, some third party parts, all put together by welders. The barriers to entry are nearly non-existent. Ripe for a welder or two with some business sense and some money saved up to launch another Triton.
Doubtful any company will be jumping in the trailer biz anytime soon. I’m seeing inventories building orders have been placed trailers delivered. Inventories will have to be sold before dealers place additional orders. It’s the pricing that’s shocking consumers. I think it will be like everything else you need it and buy it when no other choice. Nothing like on a trip and crawling under a snowmobile trailer to fix on the freeway. No thanks.

maddogg

I used to live in Hartford, WI. It is tough to find skilled labor in the area. I can only imagine for aluminum welding.

chunk06

I was happy with my Triton clam, but when i was shopping for a inline i thought Featherlight and Aluma were a bit better for the money. I settled on A Legend Explorer to save a bit, I considered it middle class. By the way did Aluma stop making enclosed trailers? I do not see any on their page